Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo victory chainring ratios?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-22, 04:50 AM
curiousabe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 28 Posts

So i recently got my first road bike, a beautiful vintage steel de visini in red chromovelato. Took it for a 2 hour ride yesterday and concluded that the 52/42 chainrings with 5 speed 12/23 (or maybe it was 13/22) gearing is way too high for me, climbing hills was simply killing me.

Did some research yesterday and the chainrings for the campagnolo victory/triomphe seem to be 116mm BCD. Also managed to find some chainrings in various sizes.

What would be the best size inner ring to change to in order to make it both (a lot ) easier to climb hills but still make it work smoothly with the derailleurs and such?
  • Would 52/36 be too much of a jump?
  • What can the Max difference of the cigs be for the two chainrings?
  • Do you suggest any other ratio? On my commute there are quite a few nasty hills
Old 05-16-22, 05:01 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
You definitely should post your questions on the Classic and Vintage sub-forum https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/
Old 05-16-22, 09:03 AM
curiousabe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
You definitely should post your questions on the Classic and Vintage sub-forum
Thanks, hadn't seen that that forum existed, will re-post there! Mod cab delte thread
Old 05-17-22, 05:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by curiousabe
Did some research yesterday and the chainrings for the campagnolo victory/triomphe seem to be 116mm BCD. Also managed to find some chainrings in various sizes.
Yes, Victory uses 116mm BCD; 35T is the smallest that will mount on that bolt circle.

Would 52/36 be too much of a jump?
The Victory rear derailleur came in either a short cage or a long cage version. The long cage version could likely wrap enough chain for that wide a spread. I doubt that the short cage version could, unless perhaps you were running a straight-block cluster. Front derailleur would probably be ok.

Do you suggest any other ratio? On my commute there are quite a few nasty hills
You could use a smaller tooth count on the big ring to reduce the amount of chain that needs to be wrapped, if you don't mind losing the high-end gears.