Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clueless Tesla Drivers

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Clueless Tesla Drivers

Old 05-24-22, 08:27 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Larry,

Don't you have some misaligned brakes to fix?
They arent fixable I think im just going to buy a new bicycle once some paychecks hit my account. I need a heavier gear ratio anyways to keep up on the group rides. 42x18 is great for cadence training but I start falling apart once I go much past 25 mph. Feels like several hundred watts just to soft pedal above a certain rpm, after the covid shot my resting heartrate shot through the roof and I can't pedal as fast as I used to. 160 rpm max.

The LBS I trust the most has this weird internally geared custom made bike with bullhorns, I doubt anyone took it off the dudes hands. has 3 gears, maybe the big dog is heavy enough to keep up with the fast squads? Ill have to talk to the owner, should get real handlebars, some rich dude got it custom build and never even took it out of the shop..

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-24-22 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-24-22, 08:28 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
here in the epicenter of tesla density, i have never had an unfortunate encounter with one.

pickup trucks, large SUVs, and TNC camrys are the weapon of choice for the rude, distracted, and inept here. note that those are also very common vehicle types, making them statistically more likely to transgress even if all else were equal.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 05-24-22, 08:51 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
They arent fixable I think im just going to buy a new bicycle once some paychecks hit my account. I need a heavier gear ratio anyways to keep up on the group rides. 42x18 is great for cadence training but I start falling apart once I go much past 25 mph. Feels like several hundred watts just to soft pedal above a certain rpm, after the covid shot my resting heartrate shot through the roof and I can't pedal as fast as I used to. 160 rpm max.

The LBS I trust the most has this weird internally geared custom made bike with bullhorns, I doubt anyone took it off the dudes hands. has 3 gears, maybe the big dog is heavy enough to keep up with the fast squads? Ill have to talk to the owner, should get real handlebars, some rich dude got it custom build and never even took it out of the shop..
If I were you I would buy a new bike from the bike shop that sold you that last great bike with the brake issues.
Likes For prj71:
Old 05-24-22, 09:05 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by prj71
If I were you I would buy a new bike from the bike shop that sold you that last great bike with the brake issues.
Well yes this is the plan. Ive insisted that I stole this bike from him because I bought it for $150 but he claims that I did not. honestly I might have done him a favor getting it off his floor (he normally just sells race bikes) and tbh I think he thought the idea of me trying to chase the fast group on that bike amused him. Should probably bring it back to him for repair but its a bit like bringing a clunker to a Ferrari mechanic, honestly I dont even know why he had the bike and I feel like a jerk for bringing it back for repair all the time. The other bike shops dont know how to fix it though
Old 05-24-22, 09:11 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by mschwett
here in the epicenter of tesla density, i have never had an unfortunate encounter with one.

pickup trucks, large SUVs, and TNC camrys are the weapon of choice for the rude, distracted, and inept here. note that those are also very common vehicle types, making them statistically more likely to transgress even if all else were equal.
I feel like the larger the vehicle the more attentive the driver
Old 05-24-22, 09:15 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
To answer your question in one word: No. And there are tons of Teslas in the land of Microsoft and high tech up here.

You obviously don’t have enough pickup drivers in your area. Had a brush by two days ago. Probably up to a dozen in my career.

- and for those needing all the details; I always stay far over on the shoulder unless forced by guard rails into the lane.

Old 05-24-22, 09:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
No, Tesla drivers aren't worse than the average run of drivers. I've had ONE close pass by a Tesla in all the years since they launched right in our own back yard - hell, most of the promo pics for the original Tesla Roadster were taken right along Canada Rd, overlooking Crystal Springs Lake! They do make a good argument for a Garmin Varia, however, since they're quieter than most cars. Not silent, though. The tires are still pretty loud.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-24-22, 09:49 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
definitely not my experience. many people buy large vehicles simply to “feel safe.” it would stand to reason that the smaller and lighter and more exposed you and your vehicle are, the more cautious you’d be. buses and trains/trams don’t even have seat belts…
Likes For mschwett:
Old 05-24-22, 09:53 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Yeah, small cars are the worst. I had a Smart car roll coal on me the other day.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-24-22, 09:57 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Not in my experience. Many of the close shaves I've had in recent years have been from "white van men". Delivery drivers in a big hurry and usually not very attentive in the process. They have a tendency to pass close and fast. But having said that none have actually hit me in all these years.
Old 05-24-22, 10:03 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yeah, small cars are the worst. I had a Smart car roll coal on me the other day.
You've been coal rolled? Trucks know they are huge and would waste a cyclist so most pass with lots of space
Old 05-24-22, 10:40 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
We don't have too many Tesla's around here and the ones I've seen have never given me any issues. I get so few close passes or problems with cars that I don't pay too much attention to them. But the ones I do remember were usually some Chad in a big truck. It's unfortunate but that seems to be the case.

One I do remember fondly was two years ago when I was riding up a rolling 2 lane back road near the river, it's twisty and up and down so very hard for cars to see up ahead to pass. I stick as far to the right as I can but there's no shoulder and it's rough on the side. Apparently the car behind me was not happy with my lard-ass taking so long up the rollers and when they finally zoomed by the old lady with a dog her in lap in the passenger seat yelled "Get off the rode you doosh!", lol. That was pretty funny they were in a Subaru wagon of some sort.
Old 05-24-22, 11:15 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Larry, I think you need to post this on Twitter.

John
Old 05-24-22, 11:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Tesla auto pilot is programmed to help spot cyclists and warn the driver. The Full Self-Driving Capability surely needs more machine learning training and there will be more incidents while training on data ... That said, these cars are generally much safer than other cars with bad drivers. They are unfortunately for cyclists very quiet so its harder to hear the approach. Here is a reference to my initial statement https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-auto...ist-detection/
Yep, that's the warning I get when a cyclist is coming up ahead. It's worth noting that in the video you linked the driver is using TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) so he is steering manually. Had the car been in Full Self Drive it would have actually braked and followed behind the cyclist. It wouldn't have swerved out like he did manually. The bleeping noise was actually the collision avoidance warning system. Had he not swerved to clear the cyclist, TACC would have automatically braked too.

It's like having a second pair of eyes on the road and, as you say, it makes the car generally safer than most other cars. Although these systems are now becoming more and more mainstream across the industry.

Having owned various Teslas for the last 5 years I would say FSD is not yet viable in a crowded urban scenario, but the various sub-features of it are stlll very useful when used in a semi-autonomous way. Although it's worth noting that FSD functionality in the UK is not the same as it is in the US market. Our version is more limited in scope.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-24-22, 11:28 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I work less than 2 miles from the Tesla factory so see them everywhere and would not say they are any better or worse than drivers of any other vehicles. This may be one of those cases where it just seems that way due to the fact that there are just so many Teslas on the road in the bay area.
Old 05-24-22, 11:34 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I work less than 2 miles from the Tesla factory so see them everywhere and would not say they are any better or worse than drivers of any other vehicles. This may be one of those cases where it just seems that way due to the fact that there are just so many Teslas on the road in the bay area.
could be.. maybe I also have a bias against electric vehicles in general because I can't hear them
Old 05-24-22, 12:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
You've been coal rolled? Trucks know they are huge and would waste a cyclist so most pass with lots of space

Most everybody passes with a lot of space.
I find a disproportionate drivers of the jerkwad persuasion drive black pickup trucks. I've also found some black pickup drivers seem to be aware of that reputation and go out of their way to be courteous and actually friendly.

I've had two attempted coal rolls directed at me, but the drivers were incompetent at it so the cloud dissipated before it got to me.
Old 05-24-22, 01:02 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
could be.. maybe I also have a bias against electric vehicles in general because I can't hear them
Have you had your hearing checked lately? Teslas aren't silent; once they're moving faster than a slow crawl they make about as much tire noise as most other cars.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 05-24-22, 01:08 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Have you had your hearing checked lately? Teslas aren't silent; once they're moving faster than a slow crawl they make about as much tire noise as most other cars.
TBH I can't hear them or any other electric car at parking lot speeds, while I have many philosophical issues with electric cars their silence is my most immediate concern.
Old 05-24-22, 01:26 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
most? i suppose, but not the one that passed me just a couple of days ago. pulling a trailer and i nearly went down in the wash after it passed. about 12" away.
Old 05-24-22, 01:32 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Most everybody passes with a lot of space.
I find a disproportionate drivers of the jerkwad persuasion drive black pickup trucks. I've also found some black pickup drivers seem to be aware of that reputation and go out of their way to be courteous and actually friendly.

I've had two attempted coal rolls directed at me, but the drivers were incompetent at it so the cloud dissipated before it got to me.

Not sure if you can them "black" pickup trucks

I prefer pigmentally challenged trucks mostly driven by Theys and Thems
Old 05-24-22, 01:40 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
^ As if the thread wasn't banal enough before...
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-24-22, 01:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Not sure if you can them "black" pickup trucks

I prefer pigmentally challenged trucks mostly driven by Theys and Thems

Well, if you really have to go there, none of the drivers who harassed me from a black pickup were non-white or non-men.

And the joke is that white people are "pigmentally challenged" because we lack sufficient melanin, so you can't even do the knee-jerk reactionary "humor" right.
Old 05-24-22, 02:03 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by spelger
most? i suppose, but not the one that passed me just a couple of days ago. pulling a trailer and i nearly went down in the wash after it passed. about 12" away.
They are pretty quiet, i have a bad habit of turning into traffic without looking and use my ears a lot. Have been surprised by electric cars but its almost always a Tesla when the driver is clueless.
Old 05-24-22, 02:05 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, if you really have to go there, none of the drivers who harassed me from a black pickup were non-white or non-men.

And the joke is that white people are "pigmentally challenged" because we lack sufficient melanin, so you can't even do the knee-jerk reactionary "humor" right.

Well, i try-- although you saying that gives me flashbacks to my GF getting frustrated at me for almost anything

"Youre doing it wrong !!!! "

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.