Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

MetroWest Boston Riders/Events

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 08-02-20, 04:34 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I am new to the road cycling thing and looking for groups and events that would be fun. In the Natick, Dover, Sherborn area. Anyone in the area?
Old 08-02-20, 02:38 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I am new to the road cycling thing and looking for groups and events that would be fun. In the Natick, Dover, Sherborn area. Anyone in the area?
Hi kosmo,

I’m a decades long lifestyle cyclist, mainly year-round commuting and road cycling here in Metro Boston, living in Kenmore Square, and working in Norwood. On a few occasions I have posted to new cyclists in Metro Boston:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…For a nice, friendly Metro Boston hang out on BikeForums, see this thread on the Regional Discussion Forum, “Metro Boston: Good ride today? (link),” started in 2009, with over 7000 replies.

Also, I have posted a
Cyclists Guide to Metro Boston (link), with information about road cycling, bikepaths, and taking your bike on the (T) (subway) and Commuter Rail.
That Metro Boston thread especially is weighted towards cycling west of Boston, in particular in the vicinity of the Minuteman Bike Path.

In my cycling guide, I describe sectors of Metro Boston radiating from downtown. I describe the region you are interested as
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…For some generalities, my favorite map is the AAA road map of metropolitan Boston [and other cities]. The size is large enough to plan century rides, yet the scale is small enough to find excellent cycling roads nicely defined by the road color and weight of the line.

I think of the area in sectors radiating from downtown and surrounded by a circumferential belt about 10 to 15 miles from Downtown, known as Route 128 ("America's Technology Highway").

Even though I've lived here for over 30 years, I always get lost on a new ride. Streets are laid out in a haphazard fashion; many streets, particularly the one you are riding on are not marked; they surreptiously change names; and in rotary intersections it's easy to lose your sense of direction. (I don't have a GPS.)

Western [of particular emphasis on the Metro Boston thread]: Lincoln, Lexington, Concord, Wayland, etc: Very ritzy, buccolic and historic; very popular for riding. This area IMO has the steepest hills.

Metrowest: Framingham, Natick; pleasant suburbs though pretty commercial along Rte 9

Southwest: Needham, Wellesley, Dover, Medfield, Walpole, Westwood, etc: probably more popular than the western burbs; wealthy exurban to rural, moderately hilly country roads, horse farms, mansions.

South; Norwood, Canton, Randolph, etc: middle class suburbia; rideable but usually on the way to somewhere else (no offense)[See this ride report from July 2014]
In that southwest sector, the road choices are numerous, and all equivalently similar and pretty safe.

Best wishes.

Jim