Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The Dark Side of Bike Commuting...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The Dark Side of Bike Commuting...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-21, 03:53 PM
Litho dbh
El Rayo X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Isn't "irritating" drivers the whole point? I mean, the non-ordinary nature of a flashing rear light is what gets their attention. And I want their attention. I also want to hold their attention. I want them to have to pay enough attention to that "irritating" flashing red light that they can't simply make a small adjustment to their course and go back to the text they are writing (because if you pay attention, at least every 5th car has a distracted driver these days, if not more. And I'm paying attention).
Hallelujah, brother. I want to be that irritant as well. 25 years commuting. So far so good. If a single light is coming toward me, I wonder, "bike, or a one-eyed car."?
Likes For Litho dbh:
Old 12-08-21, 12:39 AM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Bought my girlfriend a Showers Pass Odyssey jacket for her ride/walk to work. Jacket is dark grey with subtle lighter grey pattern on it (street maps of major cities, actually). But when hit by light, this is what happens.

Potato photo quality from phone but you can see how reflective the jacket is with direct light (phone flash). When light hits it off-axis it's not nearly as reflective. For comparison, the red light is a PDW blinky light and a forward pointing blinkie on the stem. There are passive reflectors on the wheels, pedals, and her boots.
Shine bright like a diamond - Rihanna.
Lol.
I own this one, Proviz Switch
https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/s...eflective.html

Proviz is the popular choice in UK, prices are acceptable as well.
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 12-14-21, 10:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw - thought of you commuters recently

on my way home from work yesterday, in the dark, driving my car, I briefly spotted a cyclist on the other side so I moved over allowing more room for those cars on their side to move around them. but I only spotted the cyclist briefly. they had 1 small not so bright headlight. a light on their helmet, higher than the cars would have been better. & maybe something brighter

last night I spotted another in a similar situation but their tiny little light blended in with all the others lights in traffic. a 2nd light in flash mode would have helped identify what I was seeing
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-14-21, 04:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
A lot of cyclists seem to think their lights are adequate when (I think) they are not. Lights have improved a lot in recent years, so an excellent light is pretty affordable. I don't think maximum power is appropriate but the light should be seen unmistakably.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-16-21, 05:33 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
A lot of cyclists seem to think their lights are adequate when (I think) they are not. Lights have improved a lot in recent years, so an excellent light is pretty affordable. I don't think maximum power is appropriate but the light should be seen unmistakably.
First off, I hope you have been well.

I think NYC presents a different set of circumstances to many places, even other cities, but I find that a lot of bike headlights that city riders use are too bright/blinding. I have no issue with bright rear lights, but I find it frustrating and dangerous when there are frequent bikes coming in the other direction on two-way paths with blinding lights (such as on the 59th street bridge). The solution could be as simple as angling the light down, as I always make sure to do, but alas...

Last edited by robertorolfo; 12-16-21 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-16-21, 05:52 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
"With the blast shield down, how am I supposed to ride?" <<< patented BF signature
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 12-16-21, 08:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yeah that’s annoying but it’s not as self-endangering as riding without adequate lights. We really don’t need super bright lights most of the time in the city. Maybe we need to raise awareness of what we’re doing. I was working in a shop and sold a guy a bright headlight. I told him to be careful how he aimed it, and it was a novel concept to him.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-08-22, 01:22 AM
Big Dave Crowe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
you have pelotas of steel dude. I'd be sporting a hologram brake light that projects another bike rider behind me so he takes the hit.