Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

BPH laser procedure

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

BPH laser procedure

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 07:44 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by _forced_
i’m 15 days post-op today (5/31/2022). As much as i want to get on the bike…i’m keeping myself from doing it. I feel fine, but i just don’t want to have a setback…which i’m very capable of based on past surgical post-ops for other ailments.

Dan

CHILLING is the way to healing.
Old 06-03-22, 04:32 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The procedure made a positive difference for me. I don't remember how long before I got back on the bike but 30 days may have been around right. One thing I was told--and it turned out to be right--is that it can take some time after the procedure to make a difference. That was certainly true in my case.
Old 06-14-22, 08:07 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Tomorrow (6/15/2022) will be 30 days post-op for me. Everything seems OK. I’ve been back swimming for a couple of weeks now. Very easy at first, and the past couple of times with a bit more effort. I “think” I’m ready to get back on the bike, but just not sure. I’m concerned about putting pressure on the heeling prostate. I suppose a couple of short rides just to see if/how things feel and react. My “4 week follow-up” with the doctor isn’t for another couple of weeks (technically 6 week follow-up).

Dan
Old 06-14-22, 06:19 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Tomorrow (6/15/2022) will be 30 days post-op for me. Everything seems OK. I’ve been back swimming for a couple of weeks now. Very easy at first, and the past couple of times with a bit more effort. I “think” I’m ready to get back on the bike, but just not sure. I’m concerned about putting pressure on the heeling prostate. I suppose a couple of short rides just to see if/how things feel and react. My “4 week follow-up” with the doctor isn’t for another couple of weeks (technically 6 week follow-up).

Dan
Time heals, rushing things can undo what time would have taken care of. Enjoy the baby steps 'cause they lead to centuries
Old 06-14-22, 06:30 PM
trooper2899
trooper2899

Bikes: Cobbed up Giant MTN with street wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
where are you having it done ? Last I knew the Mayo Clinic didn't do any laser procedure - I had prostate reduction in 2012 at the Mayo Clinic took about 10 days to heal I was riding my Bike about 3 weeks afterwards without any problems .
Old 06-14-22, 08:54 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by trooper2899
where are you having it done ? Last I knew the Mayo Clinic didn't do any laser procedure - I had prostate reduction in 2012 at the Mayo Clinic took about 10 days to heal I was riding my Bike about 3 weeks afterwards without any problems .
I HAD it done by Brown University Urology at Newport (RI) Hospital.

Dan
Old 06-17-22, 08:23 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Yesterday (6/16), 31 days post-op, I decided to go for a relatively short ride, 16 miles at moderate intensity (for me), to see how things feel and react. Nothing adverse noted.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 06-17-22, 02:54 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Yesterday (6/16), 31 days post-op, I decided to go for a relatively short ride, 16 miles at moderate intensity (for me), to see how things feel and react. Nothing adverse noted.

Dan
25Km? Good for you. (My recon rides after major medical events are usually 10Km, to go get some beer. LOL.)

-mr. bill
Old 07-01-22, 08:23 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

I had my six-week followup with the doctor yesterday (first since the procedure in my OP). Everything I mentioned to him…what seems like different sensations, and changing daily…are all normal. The most significant of which is my bladder (re)learning that it now doesn’t have to push as hard to empty as it did for years with the prostate blocking the urethra. All these things will normalize eventually. The pathology of the removed tissue was negative for any cancer. He said I can now stop the use of Tamsulosin/Flomax. Another followup scheduled for six month from now.

I’ve been back to my regular exercise regime for a couple of weeks now. Everything seems normal on the bike WRT the prostate-bike seat interaction.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 07-01-22, 02:08 PM
OldTryGuy

I had my six-week followup with the doctor yesterday (first since the procedure in my OP). Everything I mentioned to him…what seems like different sensations, and changing daily…are all normal. The most significant of which is my bladder (re)learning that it now doesn’t have to push as hard to empty as it did for years with the prostate blocking the urethra. All these things will normalize eventually. The pathology of the removed tissue was negative for any cancer. He said I can now stop the use of Tamsulosin/Flomax. Another followup scheduled for six month from now.

I’ve been back to my regular exercise regime for a couple of weeks now. Everything seems normal on the bike WRT the prostate-bike seat interaction.

Dan
Old 07-02-22, 07:52 AM
mr_bill

The most significant of which is my bladder (re)learning that it now doesn’t have to push as hard to empty as it did for years with the prostate blocking the urethra.
They didn’t tell me about the fire hose until my followup too. A heads up would have been nice, though I LOLed the first time.

Also as I un-Popeyed my bladder muscles the capacity went up. It took me a while to teach my nerves not to alarm so early, but I finally did, sleep is so damn bliss.

Getting rid of the Flowmax/Tamsulosin Propecia/Finasteride is really satisfying too.

Enjoy the rides. You’ve earned it.

-mr. bill
Old 07-11-22, 10:20 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
The only laser ablation in my area is in Manhattan that seems to be connected to my doctors and health care plan. It is a bit of a trip to get to and traveling can be difficult by car. I prefer not to do subway and train after surgery. Locally the nearby hospital has the ability to do aquablation. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of how this compares with laser ablation treatment?

By the way, I do think this fits better in the +50 section. Because it is a +50 issue. But then again it is also an ill. I am just hopeful that I get some responses to help me make a decision on which direction to go.

Thank you @_ForceD_ for starting this thread, providing updates and information. And for everyone contributing.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 07-11-22 at 10:24 PM.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 07-13-22, 02:04 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I prefer not to do subway and train after surgery.
I don't have any insight on aquablation versus laser ablation (and that's best answered by your doctor, seek second medical opinion if necessary).

However, post-procedure generally they won't release you to public transportation anyway. My experience, not driving to surgery can be great way to decrease stress. And you usually don't have a choice on the flipside.

Arrange for a ride from family or friend, or budget for a taxi/uber/lyft.

Also find out if your medical insurance covers post surgical transportation costs.

-mr. bill
Old 07-14-22, 11:25 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Thanks @mr_bill . Perhaps I can get an Uber ride from the city, but I doubt my insurance will pay for it. My plan doesn't cover much. The Urologist suggested I do some research on my own, which is why I'm asking here. It seems the HoLEP may be the better for me than Aquablasion but the travel back home is an issue.

Then again, both tools seem to do the same thing differently and it may be the skill in handling the tool and determining how much to carve out is probably more important.
Old 07-21-22, 08:39 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Just want to say that I’m now about 9 weeks post-op from the procedure in my OP. Things are now becoming normal. I’m peeing like a teenager, bladder control is better, and incontinence gone. Only getting up once in the night to pee. If I don’t drink anything late in the evening I’m not getting up at all. Glad I had this done.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 08-09-22, 03:24 PM
Velo Mule

I'm glad to hear about your excellent recovery @_ForceD_ . I am now scheduled for Aquablasion if all my pre-surgical test go well.

My doctor is telling me that it will be about a 2 week recovery. I don't believe it. Kind of like when the doctor tells you you will feel a little discomfort only to find out you are in pain. The thing that worries me the most is learning how to pee again.

Unfortunately, I had no reference for how bad things were and I waited far longer than I should have to get this issue checked out. So, this will be a big change. The flood gates will open.
Old 08-09-22, 06:49 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

My doctor is telling me that it will be about a 2 week recovery. I don't believe it. Kind of like when the doctor tells you you will feel a little discomfort only to find out you are in pain. The thing that worries me the most is learning how to pee again.
Two weeks is about normal. Remember…it is an internal surgical site that will need to heal. Sitting on a bike seat, and the activity of pedaling and maneuvering the bike is putting stress directly on that internal surgical site. And, that will cause it to take longer to heal, and potentially get infected. If you had an external incision don’t ya think riding the bike would impact healing? The thin amount of flesh down there doesn’t relieve the pressure on the internal site. I know you’ll feel like riding, I did. But IMO you should hold off until it’s thoroughly healed…unless you want to be passing bits of flesh, and coagulated blood (which still happened to me a little bit even after waiting the prescribed period).

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 08-10-22 at 07:43 AM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 08-11-22, 11:05 AM
Velo Mule

I think I will be out for a least two weeks. Doctors recovery times tend to be optimistic is what I was trying to say above. I won't get on a bike until I feel confident about things and maybe that won't happen until the follow-up visit.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 08-11-22, 06:54 PM
OldTryGuy

I think I will be out for a least two weeks. Doctors recovery times tend to be optimistic is what I was trying to say above. I won't get on a bike until I feel confident about things and maybe that won't happen until the follow-up visit.
Your body, your choice. Doctor's advice might be spot on OR NOT. A good doctor is not going to advise exercise too early for fear of injury/infection/illness/death.

p.s. my Orthopedic Dr. who replaced my right shoulder said 2 days after replacement I could ride again. He was SPOT ON but knowing that I'm a klutz, I waited an extra day.
Old 08-27-22, 08:48 PM
Velo Mule

The surgery was done on Wednesday. Everything went well. I'm on the mend now.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 08-28-22, 03:45 AM
OldTryGuy

The surgery was done on Wednesday. Everything went well. I'm on the mend now.
Old 09-14-22, 11:16 AM
Velo Mule

I am three weeks post surgical. At the two week follow up the Doctor said I could ride or do anything that I was doing before the surgery. I didn't ride much because I have another issue that might have been brought to the fore as a result of this surgery.

I can definitely say that the surgery went well and that there may be a quicker recovery period than with laser. The biggest take-away from this is that I can pee again. This is like going back in time 30 years for me. If you are having similar issues, whether you get Laser or Aqua ablation, it can restore being able to urinate. I just dealt with it for all these years. This is life changing. That sounds big however, it is for me.

Thank you all for your help and encouragement.
Likes For Velo Mule: