Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a Bike from Craigslist

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying a Bike from Craigslist

Old 11-08-22, 02:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
When buying used ANYTHING, knowledge is your sword and shield. Ideally, you should know more than the seller does about the make and model you're looking at. BUT the seller should know SOMETHING, or perhaps the bike is stolen. For example, I was looking at Litespeed bikes on CL. Litespeeds are not cheap, so anyone who buys one will probably know a good bit about theirs. So, if the listing says, "Litespeed road bike. Not sure what year. Not sure of the size (Large?)", that would be one to avoid. OTOH, if the listing goes into exhaustive detail about the frame, the components, etc. it might be hard to get it for a lowball price!

Avoid any listing with only one picture, especially if it's non-drive-side. A good listing will have a number of pictures, including ones of particular components like the brakes and derailleurs. A REALLY good listing will include pics of any flaws.

If you know absolutely nothing, then a bike shop is probably your best bet.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-08-22, 02:51 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
These lists are usually listed separately for MTB and road bike components.
Example: Shimano’s mountain bike groupset hierarchy, from least expensive and technologically advanced to most, is as follows:
  • Shimano Tourney
  • Shimano Altus M2000
  • Shimano Acera M3000
  • Shimano Alivio M3100
  • Shimano Deore M6100, M5100, M4100
  • Shimano SLX M7100
  • Shimano Deore XT M8050
  • Shimano Deore XT M8100
  • Shimano XTR M9050
  • Shimano XTR M9100
Might as well mention GRX, which is their gravel line of components.
Old 11-08-22, 04:44 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Ive bought, and sold, several great bikes on CL and FB Marketplace (they can be a fantastic resource) , but, I'm not a bandit, and I have a good idea what im looking at. The OP on the other hand, should heed the great advice already given above, particularly about not even risking it, at all. The odds of getting ripped off are too high given the OPs lack if experience, better to just bite the bullet and deal with an LBS.
Old 11-08-22, 05:51 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Of the three bikes listed by the OP, the Kent Genisis 700c Bohe is the best of the bunch. Should work just fine for indoor riding and with the proper care will work outdoors in the real world for a while.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-08-22, 06:08 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Half the people selling bikes on C/L or FB marketplace couldn't find the serial number if it hit them in the face
A quarter of the people on FBM or CL can't figure out frame size (even if the sticker is still on the bike) or measure standover height.
I've had responses "frame size is 26" - no that's the tire size.
I'm just patient watching FBM and CL- deals on good bikes are out there.
Likes For ralphs:
Old 11-08-22, 07:32 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Which is why I register my bike serial number when I purchase it and keep my sales slip.
The idea is that if you ask for the number to check with local PD, and the seller knows the bike is stolen, they will hang up faster than if you were calling about their car's extended warranty.
The other option is to tell them you'll meet at a safe place, like the parking lot at the local police station, and while you're there checking over the bike, they can run the serial number.
I just avoid the potential drama and not give the serial number. I'd just not answer a text or email so you'd have nothing to report to the local PD. If they really push, and I feel nice, I'd be one number off or provide a screenshot of the site with the serial cropped.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think you might have this backwards. I'd be more comfortable texting or emailing them the serial number because if they then report it stolen, I can show the police when I gave them the information. I might have a hard time proving they actually met with me.and got the serial number in person.
It's a time thing, they can email and text 100s of sellers for the serial number for the time it takes to setup and meet a real person. Few will go through the trouble of meeting in person.

---

I keep records of my bikes, and should be able to prove the bike is mine if any doubt. I do buy and sell a lot of used bikes on CL and Facebook. I've never been asked for serial number when selling and have only checked it once when buying as the situation seemed unusual. I do run the serial numbers later to be sure it is not stolen. I mostly buy vintage bikes around $200 and less.

You can usually identify bikes that could be stolen by their ad write up. Very little or wrong info written, horrible photos, pile of disorganized bikes in the background of photos. This is not a guarantee, but it does help.
Old 11-08-22, 07:57 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Senathon
When buying a bike from craigslist, what should I look for?
Do you recommend any sites about learning more about bikes?
I tried googling
In all honesty, I would tell you to go to a bike shop. You may spend more, or you might decide that you need to increase your budget, or you might just walk away and go back to CL. But at the very least, go talk to an actual human being, in person, who can answer your questions, physically show you examples of what he's talking about, and figure out what size and component level will work best to fit your body, budget, and riding goals.

You are never under any obligation to buy, so instead of poking around in the dark, go ask the guy with a flashlight to point you in the right direction.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-08-22, 09:16 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
I do buy and sell a lot of used bikes on CL and Facebook. I've never been asked for serial number when selling and have only checked it once when buying as the situation seemed unusual. I do run the serial numbers later to be sure it is not stolen.
Heck of a time to do that. What do you do if it does come up as a stolen bike? You are now in possession of stolen property. You won't give out a serial number when you're selling, so I doubt you ask for a positive form of ID from the seller when you're buying.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-08-22, 09:56 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Heck of a time to do that. What do you do if it does come up as a stolen bike? You are now in possession of stolen property. You won't give out a serial number when you're selling, so I doubt you ask for a positive form of ID from the seller when you're buying.
Hasn't happened yet, but I'd contact the real owner to see what they'd want to do. If they want the bike back, we'll discuss from there, remember that the bikes I buy are usually $200 or less.

About 75% of the people I buy from also meet at their house. I don't care either way, but they just give me their address. Probably because I know what I am buying, likely better than they do, and don't come off as threatening and pushy. If the bike is stolen, I'd try to contact them to get their story, but wouldn't push too hard. Local PD isn't going to allocate resources for a $200 stolen bike. Even if they did go after the seller, the story would be "I bought it used and didn't know it was stolen".

The biggest thing I worry about with used bikes is parts I can't repair, such as a cracked frame or broken rim. I can repair bad shifting, but I wouldn't bother repairing a cracked frame, I have bought a few, which I discovered when restoring the bike.
Old 11-09-22, 01:15 AM
URCinelliIsFake

Bikes: '88 Colnago Carbon Volo, '89 Colnago SLX Spiral Conic, '91 Colnago Master Olympic, '94 Colnago BiTitan, '99 Colnago Titanio, '89 Cinelli Su Misura MTB, '90 Cinelli Su Misura MTB

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Due Diligence

You can look at other ads for similar bikes on other sites (Facebook, C-List, Here, even evilBay) to see what they go for. The market is the best guide for determining value. Just do your due diligence.
Old 11-09-22, 08:13 AM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
When I do find a too good to be true deal, I take screenshots of the ad on FBM or CL. My logic is if there is something nefarious about the bike found out later, at least I might have some evidence that I procured from a different party. Whether or not that helps- don't know.
I also sometimes google the people's names on FBM. I found one guy that had been arrested for B&E several years ago- his ads were kind of sketchy, blurry pictures, and really low prices. His recent FBM postings seemed legit, and I went to look at bike. There was too much wrong with it for his asking price, so I passed anyway.
Old 11-09-22, 08:14 AM
RickJay

Bikes: eBikeling converted REI Co-Op CTY 2.1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Once you find what you want, check the serial # thru https://bikeindex,org and https://project529.com as well as local law enforcement.
Old 11-09-22, 08:42 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Do any of these three bikes you list come in more than a single frame size? One size fits all is a sure way to know that a lot of buyers are never going to get a good fit. It's a sure sign of a cheap bike to stay away from unless you are lucky enough to be the "average" when it comes to fit. I took a look at the specifications for the first one of the three. See below:

700c Men's Kent Genesis Bohe DESIGNED FOR HEIGHTS | 5'4" AND UP No way this can be true.

Likes For VegasTriker: