Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Question about A-Fib and HR monitors -

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Question about A-Fib and HR monitors -

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-22, 03:04 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
I know this thread has kinda finished,
I always feel good doing this, and other cycling stuff on the roads. It's when I stop that the problems start. I do not get a racing pulse, but do have a lack of energy - until I get pedalling again.
I'm wondering if beer might be the answer . . . wouldn't it be good if it was?
I hope it's not finished, there's more of us every day, and the technology continues to advance.
I'm 63, and 36 years ago I retired from a modestly successful career road racing, Cat. 2. After a real career in IT, basically sitting on my ever-expanding ass for hours at a time I had a minor heart attack (so they say) 10 years ago. It took 5 tries but I finally found a cardiologist who could work with someone not ready for life in a Barcalounger, and have been under his care ever since. It hasn't been until the past 2 months that I've experienced a-fib symptoms. As you say, I've always felt better under exertion on the bike. I just finished a 3 week "study" wearing a monitor that he was able to definitively diagnose SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) and Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. He did clear me though for moderate exercise knowing I'm a cyclist.

So, on his recommendation, I'm here looking for advice on smartwatches with ECG capabilities. Given they're nowhere near an actual ECG, but they do have to pass FDA approval which says something. My cardio knows this and would just like to have print-outs once in a while, given it's shortcomings.

I do note DC Rainmaker's April 2022 discovery of a Garmin Venu 2 with apparently the hardware, but not the software, to record ECG and anxiously await progress with that. I've always used Garmin Edge devices so I'm comfortable staying with them. Garmin says (yesterday) there is no schedule for release of supporting software for it, yet there it is.

Important note to add: Readers, and sufferers of afib should know that afib in endurance athletes is not at all rare. WebMD has an interesting article about studies done showing athletes having 2.5 times the chance of developing a-fib than non-athletes. 70,000 participants, including more than 6,800 athletes and more than 63,000 non-athletes.
https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/...odds-for-a-fib

So, which smartwatch should I ask for from Santa? I'll have an all-natural beer or two while I wait...