Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Titanium Carbon Fiber Douglas Precision TI Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-23, 01:32 AM
New at this

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I am checking out used bikes online, and I found a Titanium Carbon Fiber Douglas Precision TI Road Bike, for $800. Here is the description from the seller. Can anyone provide me with some insight as to whether or not this sounds accurate, and if it is a good deal? I tried to post a picture, but apparently I'm not allowed to until I post 10 times, or something. Thank you all.

"This is a classic Italian road bike, early 2000s. Italian style, meaning the brakes and shifting is backwards or swapped sides. Frame is around a 56. Only weighs 18lbs with everything fully equipped. It’s been in several iron man races and tours. We got it from a family member who lives in Colorado. So you know it has to be good to handle the mountains. He was the one who mainly used it. Still rides very smooth, almost like floating. He told us he originally bought it brand new for around $7k. He gave it to my wife but she is too tall for it. It’s a Titanium frame with carbon fiber. Very lightweight. Shimano is used for everything that matters. Can come with clip in 9.5 shoes. Here’s a link to a very similar bike that went for twice as much. Our bike is in great shape and we’re only asking for around $800."
Old 01-14-23, 08:36 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I understand Douglas builds fine bikes. I can not conceive of how he could pay $7k in early 2000s but maybe for iron man so that at least is odd, for racing iron man it would have tt bars not drop bars, so questions. Price might be poor, OK, good or great but totally dependent on the groupset and wheels, quality and condition.
Old 01-14-23, 09:08 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I think that bike was under $3K new. I think Douglas frames were made in the USA by TST. Not an Italian brand.
Old 01-14-23, 11:45 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
TST was a titanium wheelchair builder that made frames in the US that were sold by Colorado Cyclist after they stopped selling Litespeed. Having the brakes reversed is not Italian - but common in left side roadway countries. You can change it back to the other way easily enough.

The Douglas frames may have had a small reputation for welds sometimes cracking - but that's kind of a luck situation - if the bike has lasted this long the welds are likely decent.

The description suggests it uses carbon fiber somewhere in the frame - usually the seat stays - but it could have been anywhere. Ti and carbon bond well, so not an issue.

While $7K is likely an exaggeration, $800 for a complete Ti bicycle is a bargain. I would happily pay $800 for just a frameset of a quality US made Ti bicycle of good repute.
Old 01-14-23, 12:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
The bigger question might be if this bike matches the kind of riding you will be doing with it and if it even fits you well. Also you might wonder about those 20 year old components that might be on it. If you have to start replacing them, then you might have a money pit.

Road bikes come in many different geometry configurations to suit the intended use and the personal comfort needs of the individual, which will be you.

Welcome to BF!
Old 01-14-23, 02:19 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The bigger question might be if this bike matches the kind of riding you will be doing with it and if it even fits you well. Also you might wonder about those 20 year old components that might be on it. If you have to start replacing them, then you might have a money pit.

Road bikes come in many different geometry configurations to suit the intended use and the personal comfort needs of the individual, which will be you.

Welcome to BF!
I believe all the Douglas bikes were from the level TT era, and have pretty standard road geometry - comparable to a Cannondale, Trek, Litespeed, etc of that era.
Old 01-15-23, 07:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I think you'd want to clarify how the seller is defining the bike as 'around a 56' in size. At least ask for real measurements of at least Top Tube and Seat tube (assuming horizontal top tube).

How tall is the wife referenced who was too tall for this bike?