Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

School me on your experiences with cycling as a new parent (dad)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

School me on your experiences with cycling as a new parent (dad)

Old 01-30-23, 04:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I do agree but am sad it led to a divorce.

I am divorced now, but when the little ones were actually little, I integrated them into my outdoor passions. We camped, hiked, paddled whitewater, rode bicycles, and hiked.
As I said, the bike wasn't the only factor in the divorce. The story is like a country song...My ex-wife married my ex-friend, and are living in my ex-house with my ex-dog. All I got was a pickup truck and a guitar.

That's a true story....except for the "all" part. I got a few other things, like a few $K in bikes.

Life is a twisted road.
Old 01-30-23, 04:04 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
One other thing to remember. You can't force anything on them. Expose them to lots of different things and see what takes. Their lives won't go exactly as you have them planned. Nothing wrong with that. It's their life, not yours. Be grateful and accepting of that.
Old 01-30-23, 04:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
As I said, the bike wasn't the only factor in the divorce. The story is like a country song...My ex-wife married my ex-friend, and are living in my ex-house with my ex-dog. All I got was a pickup truck and a guitar.

That's a true story....except for the "all" part. I got a few other things, like a few $K in bikes.

Life is a twisted road.
I got there via a different route, but also have a second marriage. Been with her a long time, now, so it's solid. Best part: she's much younger, prettier, smarter, and more accomplished and ambitious than I am...which means I semi-retired in my early 50s, fully retired last year at 59, and now I can ride all I want and buy practically anything I want.

Again, like I wrote earlier in the thread: you can have it all -- just not all at once.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-30-23, 04:10 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by seypat
One other thing to remember. You can't force anything on them. Expose them to lots of different things and see what takes. Their lives won't go exactly as you have them planned. Nothing wrong with that. It's their life, not yours. Be grateful and accepting of that.
Truth!!...and some seriously wise advice.
Old 01-30-23, 04:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Koyote
I got there via a different route, but also have a second marriage. Been with her a long time, now, so it's solid. Best part: she's much younger, prettier, smarter, and more accomplished and ambitious than I am...which means I semi-retired in my early 50s, fully retired last year at 59, and now I can ride all I want and buy practically anything I want.

Again, like I wrote earlier in the thread: you can have it all -- just not all at once.
Test wife vs. keeper wife.
Old 01-30-23, 04:14 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Test wife vs. keeper wife.
Yeah. The problem is that, once you have a kid with someone, you can never really be completely divorced. The person will always be present in some form or another. But I've gotten used to the smell of sulfur.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-30-23, 04:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Koyote
Yeah. The problem is that, once you have a kid with someone, you can never really be completely divorced. The person will always be present in some form or another. But I've gotten used to the smell of sulfur.
I'm, thankful that Test Wife and I maintained an amicable relationship during the shared-custody phase, and were both flexible to accommodate changes in schedules, etc. Our kid having baby, however, has changed the dynamic a bit as we revel in our grandparent status.
Old 01-30-23, 04:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
I got into cycling as an indirect result of us having kids. When The Older Boy was about 3 or 4, I was at a park playing chase with him, and found myself getting winded. "Cripes! I'm only 38!" I thought, and got a bike for the 2 1/2 mile ride to work, which started the whole ball rolling for me and cycling.

HOWEVER, even though I bought bikes for both boys, and updated them as they got bigger, they never had more than a marginal interest in it. I was disappointed, but our childhoods were very different. I grew up in a small town with nothing to do and miles of back roads all around. They grew up in a suburb, where their friends lived miles away, which would have required riding on streets and roads that I'm afraid to ride on as an adult.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-30-23, 04:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by genejockey
I got into cycling as an indirect result of us having kids. When The Older Boy was about 3 or 4, I was at a park playing chase with him, and found myself getting winded. "Cripes! I'm only 38!" I thought, and got a bike for the 2 1/2 mile ride to work, which started the whole ball rolling for me and cycling.

HOWEVER, even though I bought bikes for both boys, and updated them as they got bigger, they never had more than a marginal interest in it. I was disappointed, but our childhoods were very different. I grew up in a small town with nothing to do and miles of back roads all around. They grew up in a suburb, where their friends lived miles away, which would have required riding on streets and roads that I'm afraid to ride on as an adult.
My kids never showed much interest in my hobbies, either. The younger one picked up a guitar for a bit, learned a few chords, and bits of a couple of songs, but it didn't stick. With both of mine, I told them that I would financially support their sports/activities/hobbies in proportion to how much of their own time and effort they put into it. My older daughter's biggest thing was HS cheer, but not much outside of that. Being social was her hobby. With my younger daughter, I spend a LOT of money on softball-related stuff - gear, team dues, travel, etc. There was hope that she would turn her significant talent for the game into helping pay for college, but it was never a requirement. Despite getting plenty of interest from college coaches, she decided to hang it up after a final summer of travel ball before she left for school. I will never regret the money spent. She had awesome experiences, and the two of us had a lot of fun together traveling to exotic tournament destinations like Salinas and Modesto (if you know, you know - lol).
Old 01-30-23, 05:19 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts

Life is a twisted road.
I am sorry for your losses, but to encourage you, I still paddle, ride, hike, and camp with my children and now grandchildren.

My only bike is the Subaru of bikes, a Kona Sutra.
Old 01-30-23, 05:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I am sorry for your losses, but to encourage you, I still paddle, ride, hike, and camp with my children and now grandchildren.

My only bike is the Subaru of bikes, a Kona Sutra.
Meh. Life happens. As I said before, everyone's journey is different.
Old 01-30-23, 05:40 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
My kid was more fun than my bike ever was.

I bought a lightweight kids trailer and took my child to the park by bike to play on the swings, sandbox, and other kids.

Once 4 years old, taught him to ride in maybe 10 minutes and then we would ride the streets until he was about 11 and then dad wasn't cool enough anymore. We found other activities to share at that point.

In short, riding didn't take a backseat, it took the trunk and no regrets.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 01-30-23, 05:50 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I remember taking the twin grandchildren down the Creeper Trail when they were 2. I'd rather have done that than any other bike use. I got the male child a bicycle last year and did a mountain bike trail. I did a trail earlier with the remake twin. All good!!
Old 01-31-23, 02:47 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I have a 13 month old. Up until he was about 6-7 months old, it was really easy to get some time in on the trainer. I used to just pop him in his pram next to me so I could give my wife a break, and do a workout or a ride. From 7 months to a year old, it was difficult. He wasn't sleeping well, my wife was back to work, etc so if I had the energy, I would do a session when everyone was asleep (I was also commuting 3 hours/day so was knackered most evenings). He's sleeping better, I commute 90 minutes a day now (some days fully by bike other days bike/train), get most of my sessions in and try to get outside for a ride with friends a couple of times/month.
Likes For rivers:
Old 01-31-23, 06:58 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
I have two girls aged 11 and 10. I’m divorced from their mom and we do not have an amicable relationship, but the girls, their stepmom and I have a pretty good life and they want for nothing, including quality time with their parents.

Divorce from their mom was unrelated to cycling, more so the long days and nights at the office, trying to get ahead to provide a life that was never quite good enough (but always complaining about the required work time that came along with being able to provide a certain lifestyle). I digress..

Ultimately, you have to figure out what your priorities are. Even with 2 kids, being a mid level executive, and a busy schedule of sports and activities I still managed 6,300 miles last year. I did it by getting up at the crack of dawn, getting out and getting my miles in, much like what bampilot06 suggested. Some days I start work at 6 and sneak out for a quick 20 at lunch while they’re at school. But I also accept that there are times I can’t ride.

I don’t miss softball games or track and XC meets unless I’m traveling for work. If the kids are with their mom, sometimes I rode to or from softball games and my wife meets me. You really just have to find out what works for you, and it likely won’t be what you expect.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-31-23, 07:20 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
I had my first child at 51 and was prepared to give up cycling almost completely after decades of training, racing and touring. I did not have to do that. They are 5 and 7 now, and only someone as into cycling as me would have two kids who want nothing to do with bicycles. They currently don't even have bikes.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 01-31-23, 08:05 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
… only someone as into cycling as me would have two kids who want nothing to do with bicycles. They currently don't even have bikes.
You’re not alone. My kids are older now…24 and 27…but in spite of all the cycling I’ve done for longer than they’ve been alive, and all I’ve done since their birth; all the child seat bike rides I took them on as kids…neither of them has had a scintilla of interest in bike riding. They had bikes as kids, but really didn’t ride them much. It was a little disappointing to me. Not disappointed in the kids…they’re both good kids…just that they didn’t take any interest in the things I enjoy. When they were little I was doing a lot of triathlons. In addition to bike rides, I had a jogging stroller for them, and also took them to the pool a lot. I facilitated activity, but didn’t force them. I came to realize that it’s a “lead a horse to water” thing. They just didn’t want to do it.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 02-01-23 at 09:23 AM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 01-31-23, 09:41 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
When the kid came along and spouse's and my careers took off, I took up running (which I had done on and off since college) and dipped a toe into Masters swimming. Enjoy the kids and put in the time to be a real presence in their lives. They will pay you back 100-fold and disappear before you know it.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-02-23, 07:25 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 243 Posts
Fortunately my kids (2) were born only 15 months apart, so I only had to give up cycling (and skiing) for about 3 years until they were old enough that they did not need quite as much attention. Riding in the early morning wasn't an option, since I was responsible for burping after feeding (mom went back to sleep), and even after they were weaned they were early risers (between 5 and 5:30 almost every morning).

I did get some time on the Nordictrack for those three-ish years, but at that time my family (and work, of course) were my priorities so I got structured exercise maybe 1 - 3x (max.)/week.

Honestly, I was so busy I didn't miss it much. Those 3-ish years flew by pretty quickly. No regrets.
Old 02-02-23, 09:30 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
For me cycling became a secondary thought once the first came along, I'd grab rides when I could a couple times a week but they were never very long, 30 milers at best most times. The key was once the first was a year old I bought a trailer to go riding and she could come along. They're great for the bike paths and even better for the wind resistance training. You'll still be limited though, no taking them out in mid-august for 3 hour rides, same with mid-january. Its hard for a communicative creature like a kid to tell you they're suffering, but an hour and a half of pulling the trailer will be a better workout then 3 without. When the second came along my wife was happy to occasionally let me take the older while she napped with the younger, since she also rode somewhat, once the middle kid hit 1, we did a trail-a-bike on her bike and the trailer on mine. Kid three put a slow down on all of this, three is a totally different juggling act and harder to deal with. But after the first year we sometimes had 2 in the trailer and a trail-a-bike or real slow rides of one in the trailer, one on a trail-a-bike, and one riding along.
Once the oldest started school we started riding, she loved it, and it meant a 1 mile ride each way, 2x a day, most days. I was lucky and the oldest came to love cycling, and we were able to get her into a youth program, the younger two are following in her footsteps with a little less enthusiasm. There are other sports, the middle kid likes roller derby, the youngest doesn't seem to like any particular sport but at 7 I'm not worried and he still rides. Key for us is varying the riding we do, they all love the mud and camaraderie of cyclocross, the middle and youngest love mtb while the oldest goes along but loves road the most. I still get in some solo rides from time to time but now I have a 12yo that's about to offer me real challenges. I might not be as fast as I was, by a long shot, nor as light, and getting beaten by some of her 14 and 15yo teammates can be a little demeaning, but its been totally worth it, and I expect to get much faster this year as the 12yo is going to start being a challenge and I have to work to make sure she doesn't beat me yet. We do a tour every year, last year's was more of a series of long rides over multiple states across the country, but full loaded tours including Prince Edward Island, The Erie Canal, and this year the Gap and C&O, and root for them at races.

Here's the 12yo sporting a NYS champion jersey having beaten her mom and a couple other ladies racing Cat 4/5 in the Hudson Valley.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-03-23, 01:43 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
This reminds me that I used to ride to school solo from about 7 or 8 years old. No major hills, but a lot of traffic and several major road crossings. But I'm not sure I would let our 10-year-old daughter ride to school. Maybe we're being over-protective these days? It's a tough call because there is a degree of serious danger involved. But on the other hand, experiencing those dangers will stand them in good stead in their adult lives. The flip-side is that one girl in my class at primary school was killed crossing one of the busy roads I mentioned. She was on foot rather than riding, but unsupervised. But on the whole 99% of us survived unscathed. She was the unfortunate one.
There were fewer cars, and they were smaller and slower when we were 10. Nowadays you need to be somewhere with good bike infrastructure (protected lane, etc) and so much of everywhere is so car dependent…

Anyway, off my soapbox. For the first few years there was a lot of towing littles around in a trailer. Since Covid there’s been a lot of getting up at 6 to ride before they want breakfast. The twins are 7 now, so they can ride to the playground etc and get a bit of the way up the MUP.

Longtail cargo bikes are great for doing school runs. We just upgraded to a cargo ebike, to add range, and maybe so I can do morning drop off and get to the office not-sweaty.
Old 02-06-23, 07:41 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I took up cycling when I became a dad. At first I'd ride to the destination of family outings, put the bike in the back of our car (Subaru station wagon/ Toyota Noah minivan) and drive back. Then I'd get up at about 5 am to cycle. Now in winter at least, I jog in the mornings and make my commute an hour each way, because there are fewer family outings. I miss them.
Old 02-07-23, 11:55 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
This is simply a new bike opportunity staring you right in the face. You go right out there and buy yourself a hard-tail mountain bike and put a kiddie seat on the back. As soon as the kid can sit up comfortably, you are outta the house, on the bike, with the short one. The wife goes back to sleep. You climb the same hills with an additional 20-30 lbs on board, thus building strength and maintaining tan lines. And you build wife-points, which, in your new-dad state, do have a half-life of about three days.

Check Thule's offerings.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 02-07-23, 12:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
This is simply a new bike opportunity staring you right in the face. You go right out there and buy yourself a hard-tail mountain bike and put a kiddie seat on the back. As soon as the kid can sit up comfortably, you are outta the house, on the bike, with the short one. The wife goes back to sleep. You climb the same hills with an additional 20-30 lbs on board, thus building strength and maintaining tan lines. And you build wife-points, which, in your new-dad state, do have a half-life of about three days.
That's the wisdom that comes from experience, right there, in black and white.
Old 02-11-23, 02:24 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Parenting, spouse/partner, work first, cycling secondary. It's not complicated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.