Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Rowan

Old 04-20-18, 11:15 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Meanwhile ...

I went back to work for a couple hours today ... just easing into it.

I attended a meeting for my university course as a part of the first big assignment. I'm about halfway through that course.

And I've got my eye on a 5K run at the end of May which I might work toward.
I was going to say, it sounds like you and Rowan have a long road ahead. And, while you don't want to miss his first few words or movements, you also have to take care of yourself and your own sanity.

And running will be something a little different from your normal routine... I think.

Good luck to you all...
Old 04-20-18, 06:27 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Sounds like he's slowly progressing. Good news. Keeping up the prayers. Take care.
Old 04-20-18, 09:17 PM
md11mx

Bikes: Devinci Oslo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Machka,
Thank you so much for keeping us informed!!! So glad he is progressing. I will continue to say prayers for both of you'll.
Cheers,
David
Way up North
Old 04-21-18, 05:09 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Best wishes and godspeed in both Rowan's and your recovery. I'll keep you both in my thoughts.
Old 04-21-18, 07:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Running and walking ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l-21-22-a.html

And as always, several hours at the hospital.

Looks like I'll need to get a flu shot soon. :/ Flu season is about to begin, and it was suggested that since I now spend so much time at the hospital ... I'd better take precautions.

Last edited by Machka; 04-21-18 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-21-18, 08:01 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
It's good to hear of his progress and that you've been able to incorporate some regular activities into your routine.
Old 04-21-18, 08:20 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
And in your recovery, Godspeed to you both.
Old 04-21-18, 10:27 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts

Looks like I'll need to get a flu shot soon. :/ Flu season is about to begin, and it was suggested that since I now spend so much time at the hospital ... I'd better take precautions.
At my age, I'm quite deliberate about avoiding other people's germs and so wash my hands frequently. Lots of people sniffling and wiping their nose of who knows what.
Old 04-21-18, 07:42 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Running and walking ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l-21-22-a.html

Flu vaccination helps protect you and everyone around you. Good to get it !
Old 04-22-18, 05:44 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
Flu vaccination helps protect you and everyone around you. Good to get it !
An EAR-LOOP face mask was highly suggested to be put on when visiting doctor's office not only to keep coughing spray contained but to help prevent touching one's face in the nasal area.
Old 04-22-18, 05:09 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Thanks for the continued updates and it’s great to hear there is progress. I’m hoping that over time this whole incident will just be another chapter in your already long list of adventures together.
Old 04-23-18, 06:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

He's definitely in Post Traumatic Amnesia. Difficult roller coaster ride. Long stressful day.

This is a brochure from the Queensland Government, a Brisbane hospital.

https://metronorth.health.qld.gov.au...c-amnersia.pdf

This is another one from Victoria Government, a Melbourne hospital.

https://www.thermh.org.au/sites/defa...V4.0_10.17.pdf

Thanks for all your prayers.
Old 04-23-18, 06:52 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Talked to the main Rehab people and Rowan is on the waitlist to get into the Rehab Unit. He has to meet certain criteria (like swallowing 24-hours a day) for that first, and then the minute there's room, they'll move him. Maybe ... 3 weeks?

And then that's where he'll live for a long time.

They can't give me any specifics ... every patient is different and these are early days.

• He's still pretty calm, although occasionally restless.
  • He's talking! They've installed an automatic speech valve onto his trach. So he says, "Yeah" ... whether he really means "Yes" or not. But they are pleased that he's using his voice.
  • They had him sort of sitting up in a chair for a little while today ... a special chair that reclines and is designed for someone like him. So he's not bolt upright or anything, but at least it is a bit different from the bed.

Meanwhile ...

I went back to work for a couple hours today ... just easing into it.

I attended a meeting for my university course as a part of the first big assignment. I'm about halfway through that course.

That sounds like good progress! Best wishes to both of you.
Old 04-23-18, 12:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Have you been able to get Rowan into a wheelchair yet? Perhaps going on some walks around the hospital perhaps there is a place you can get some sunshine and fresh air. This should be fall, so hopefully good weather.
Old 04-23-18, 06:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Have you been able to get Rowan into a wheelchair yet? Perhaps going on some walks around the hospital perhaps there is a place you can get some sunshine and fresh air. This should be fall, so hopefully good weather.
No he's not that advanced yet and unfortunately the hospital is a construction zone in one of the busiest parts of town which would be way too much stimulation for him. They are building the new and improved hospital around the existing one. I'll be glad when he gets into the rehab unit. It is offsite in a nicer quieter area.
Old 04-24-18, 11:39 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
I agree that you and Rowan would seem to be making good progress. Getting into the rehab unit is a good goal at this point. It's good to have goals.
Old 04-26-18, 02:00 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Thank you for the updates. I continue to include you and Rowan in my daily thoughts. I know it's a long road ahead, but it seems like Rown is getting excellent care and is making progress. Please remember to take care of yourself, Machka!
Old 04-26-18, 03:46 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Rowan is actually progressing a bit slower than they had hoped. Some of that likely has to do with his ongoing chest infections and the fact that they can't take his trach out until the infection clears. They wanted to take his trach out last week, they wanted to take his trach out this week ... but he's not ready.

They tell me that when he has the trach removed, he might talk more consistently ... at least that's what they are hoping.

Meanwhile, Rowan is talking a little bit: words & short phrases. But he's 'in the moment'. It is unclear whether he remembers or what he remembers. He doesn't know names, places, dates or any of the testing stuff.

And his talking isn't consistent ... he won't talk for a while, then he might come out with a few things, and then it's silence again. When he's angry, he says a bit more than when he's happy.

If you've ever been with/worked with someone with dementia ... it's kind of like he's got reverse dementia ... like he's in the severe dementia stage now, but instead of getting progressively worse, he's got a chance of getting progressively better. But it is a very slow process.
Old 04-26-18, 07:03 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
There's very little worse than than the feeling of helplessness watching a loved one suffer through illness.

You are doing the best thing you can do, which is being there ready to help when you can.

My wife was once in hospital for almost a year and she still says the thing that most kept her going was seeing me coming in every day with a smile on my face. But luckily she never saw me just before I got to her room.
Old 04-27-18, 09:28 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
As long as there is improvement, you'll get there eventually ... a step at a time. It's a matter of endurance ... your specialty!

Old 04-27-18, 12:27 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,009 Posts
Best wishes and I am sure Rowan will make a full recovery. I enjoy surfing you’re websites seeing all the cool places you and Rowan have been.
Old 04-27-18, 06:38 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Keep the positive vibes flowing when you’re with him! I’m sure they’ll help him more than any of us know. Use us as a sounding board any time you need to. It’s got to be really challenging dealing with everything.
Old 04-28-18, 09:50 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Just caught up with this terrible news after 3 weeks away.

*hugs to you both*
Old 04-28-18, 10:50 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
You and Rowan are in my prayers. Hang in there.
Old 04-29-18, 04:39 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Rowan Update

Rowan has been in the Neuro ward for just over 2 weeks now. He’s awake, breathing on his own, and swallowing on his own. They’re getting him sitting up every day. From the neck down, physically he’s all right … it’s just a matter of making the connection between the brain and the limbs.

They’ve fitted him with an automatic speaking valve, and he does say a few words … mostly “Yeah”. However, he doesn’t know his name, my name, where he lives, what date it is or anything like that. I’m not positive he knows who I am, but when I visit, he usually wants to hold my hand, so he seems to like me. However, he is starting to regain some long-term memory.

He still has his trach in, but they are hoping to remove it as soon as his chest infection clears. It’s improving, but it is taking its time.

I mentioned that Rowan is regaining some long-term memory. It's not happening how I expected. I sort of expected whole stories to come back ... like all of a sudden he'd be able to tell a short story of his childhood, or something we had done together, or a day on the job when he was a journalist. But it's not like that.

It's sort of like there's a 5-million piece puzzle in front of him, and each day over the past 3 or 4 days he has picked up a piece or two ... or maybe a few ... of the puzzle. The pieces are quite different, and don't necessarily connect to anything yet, and he might keep that piece, or put it down and pick up another one.

More specifically, the pieces seem to be in two categories: physical and word phrases.

In the physical category, he's doing things like trying to get up in the morning. Or typical hand motions like nibbling a corner of his finger, or putting his hand in a "thinking" position on his face. Little things that I recognise as typically "Rowan".

He's starting to do the physical things a little bit more consistently.

In the word phrase category, it is just that ... random phrases are coming back to him. Different ones each day. Like: "it depends on" or "in the sense of" or "in the context of". He'll start a sentence quite confidently with a random phrase ... and then kind of dwindle out like he doesn't know where to go from there. But that's OK, it's a start.

And once in a while, he'll say a short sentence or phrase that really fits the context ... like he's reached down and grabbed the right piece of the puzzle!

So far, he's not particularly consistent with this category and he seems to pick up pieces, use them for a little while, and then put them down again. Hopefully, as time goes on, he'll pick up more pieces and start putting them together. But this is a start.

And they tell me that when he finally gets rid of the chest infection and gets the trach removed that he might start talking more. Here's hoping that happens this week, at last!

Last edited by Machka; 04-29-18 at 04:48 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.