Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Flame ******ants and Pesticides

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 10:19 AM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts

Really worried that with my new restoration project I might spin so fast that my jockey wheels go up in flames, consuming the entire bike. Plus the frame was really old and could be full of molybdenum mites. Horrid invasive critters.

See what being locked up for two years has done to my brain? Getting some projects going again has been so nice and takes one's mind off the news!
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 03-27-22, 10:25 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
???

Pic of flaming bike desired, if you ever spin that fast.

edit: Get in a ride today, the weather is simpático.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-27-22 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-27-22, 10:49 AM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Originally Posted by Wildwood
???

Pic of flaming bike desired, if you ever spin that fast.

edit: Get in a ride today, the weather is simpático.
Stuck indoors. The cedar and juniper pollen this year are horrid. I want to get out but even with every allergy med onboard its awful.
Old 03-27-22, 10:54 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Mask up?

Snot rocket ride?
Old 03-27-22, 12:25 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Stuck indoors. The cedar and juniper pollen this year are horrid. I want to get out but even with every allergy med onboard its awful.
Wear an allergy mask — it’ll change your life.

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ergy-mask.html
Old 03-27-22, 12:54 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 6,479 Times in 3,205 Posts
What's the world coming to when you can't even insult ants in a thread title? Is the eusocial insect contingent really that sensitive?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-27-22, 02:05 PM
etherhuffer 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Wear an allergy mask — it’ll change your life.

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ergy-mask.html
No mask here. I just get too much going on to make it worth the effort. Biking should be fun, not a medical experiment!
I give an annual lecture to my fellow eye doctors every year about this time. I know every nook and cranny of allergy meds, side effects, choices. I wear a mask when mowing grass but that is sort of my limit. I did de-sensitization shots in the past, but the effectiveness has worn off. Time to do them again. They activate IgG instead of IgE immunoglobulins, thereby bypassing a histamine cascade. And, climate change has made Spring arrive earlier after warmer wetter winters. The pollen loads you see now are far larger than a few decades ago. If there are fellow sufferers out there, pollen.com is a great website. Plug in your zip code and you can see pollen load forecasts and specific pollen types
Spring: cedar, juniper, alder are the worst in Pacific Northwest
Summer: grasses, weeds.
Fall: weeds and molds/mildews
Winter: dust mites, molds
Molds are year round as well. Small particle allergens are the worst, as they have to be ingested and metabolized to be removed. Larger pollens can be expelled.
Add on top of this all the skin issues from masks the last two years. Eczema, rosacea, etc are all higher from masks against skin.

Good luck fellow sneezers and wheezers. At least its warmer out!
Old 03-27-22, 04:19 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Well I clicked on this expecting it was really about ants! Now that I’m here I will share an experience that is about ants. Back in about 1990 I bought a mountain bike thinking it would be fun (it was) and about 10 miles into the trail I got a flat, yes I had tuffy strips in the tires but goat heads don’t care. I have been cycling long enough to know how to fix this . I sat on a nice flat area off the trail and was pinching the tube with its newly installed patch waiting for the vulcanizing effect to occurs when I got a very uncomfortable feeling in a place on my body that is concealed by my shorts. Those nasty ####### fire ants , tiny little beasts that they are had found their way up my shorts and turned me into a brake dancer. My wife still laughs about it.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-27-22, 11:39 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
If the drought continues the way it’s going, wet winters won’t be a problem for too much longer. And you’ll need more ants.

Originally Posted by etherhuffer
No mask here. I just get too much going on to make it worth the effort. Biking should be fun, not a medical experiment!
I give an annual lecture to my fellow eye doctors every year about this time. I know every nook and cranny of allergy meds, side effects, choices. I wear a mask when mowing grass but that is sort of my limit. I did de-sensitization shots in the past, but the effectiveness has worn off. Time to do them again. They activate IgG instead of IgE immunoglobulins, thereby bypassing a histamine cascade. And, climate change has made Spring arrive earlier after warmer wetter winters. The pollen loads you see now are far larger than a few decades ago. If there are fellow sufferers out there, pollen.com is a great website. Plug in your zip code and you can see pollen load forecasts and specific pollen types
Spring: cedar, juniper, alder are the worst in Pacific Northwest
Summer: grasses, weeds.
Fall: weeds and molds/mildews
Winter: dust mites, molds
Molds are year round as well. Small particle allergens are the worst, as they have to be ingested and metabolized to be removed. Larger pollens can be expelled.
Add on top of this all the skin issues from masks the last two years. Eczema, rosacea, etc are all higher from masks against skin.

Good luck fellow sneezers and wheezers. At least its warmer out!