Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Di2 Maintenance?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano Di2 Maintenance?

Old 01-15-23, 10:38 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Low amps damages the battery over time.
It's the opposite - slow charging is better for a battery. Fast charging generates heat inside the battery and the heat accelerates the battery aging process.
Likes For woodway:
Old 01-15-23, 10:51 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,456 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by woodway
It's the opposite - slow charging is better for a battery. Fast charging generates heat inside the battery and the heat accelerates the battery aging process.
Okay. Call Shimano if you don't believe me. I don't design electronics. But my impression is that the low current doesn't allow the charger to send "good" current to the battery.
Old 01-16-23, 12:10 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Okay. Call Shimano if you don't believe me. I don't design electronics. But my impression is that the low current doesn't allow the charger to send "good" current to the battery.
As it turns out. I do design electronics for a living, specifically I’m running a team that designs battery chargers 😀

I won’t call Shimano, but I did take a look at the manual for the di2 internal battery charger (the one with the usb connector), and it says:

”• The charging time of an AC adapter with a USB port is about 1.5 hours, and that of computer USB port type about 3 hours. (Note that the actual time will vary depending on the amount of charge remaining in the battery. Depending on the specifications of the AC adapter, recharging via the AC adapter may require as much time (about 3 hours) as recharging via PC.)”

The Shimano charger looks to have a boost converter in it (the battery is 7.5v and USB is 5v). It may be that in the past they had trouble with their converter if the port could not supply enough current. But it appears that if they did, they have fixed the problem. Cheers!
Likes For woodway:
Old 01-16-23, 03:00 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
As it turns out. I do design electronics for a living, specifically I’m running a team that designs battery chargers 😀
Woo! Here's something for you then ;-)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7cJu9hsLHbNq14pA9

Note: none of the wiring/soldering was done by me
Old 01-16-23, 07:23 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
^^^This.^^^ It is well known that trickle charging is best for the health and longevity of batteries.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-16-23, 07:49 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
It doesn't require much. The only mechanical maintenance I do is to lubricate the derailleur's tension spring every once in a while. Dirt and grime can get inside and it may eventually seize, but it would be in extreme cases.

Battery lasts forever (2000-2500kms on my end and I do shift a lot due to riding in mountains) - I charge it 1x per month as a rule of thumb, regardless of the SoC.

Software updates are non frequent, but it's a good thing to check once or twice per year.
Old 01-16-23, 08:11 AM
Kontact

I won’t call Shimano, but I did take a look at the manual for the di2 internal battery charger (the one with the usb connector), and it says:

”• The charging time of an AC adapter with a USB port is about 1.5 hours, and that of computer USB port type about 3 hours. (Note that the actual time will vary depending on the amount of charge remaining in the battery. Depending on the specifications of the AC adapter, recharging via the AC adapter may require as much time (about 3 hours) as recharging via PC.)”

The Shimano charger looks to have a boost converter in it (the battery is 7.5v and USB is 5v). It may be that in the past they had trouble with their converter if the port could not supply enough current. But it appears that if they did, they have fixed the problem. Cheers!
That's the same note they had going back to at least 6800 Ultegra. Shimano warrantied batteries for my customers in 2021/22, so I wouldn't be so confident that anything changed.

"Use an AC adapter with a USB port with a voltage of 5.0 V DC and with a current equal to or higher than 1.0 A DC. If the one with a current lower than 1.0 A is used, the AC adapter may heat up, potentially causing a fire, smoke, overheating, destruction, electric shock, or burns."

"Do not connect the charger to PC when it is on standby. This may cause a PC failure depending on its specifications."
Old 01-16-23, 08:54 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Well there you have it. What a crappy design by Shimano. They should be ashamed to release something like that into the wild. People see a USB port, they are going to plug into the USB port. That they allow their charger to go unstable and overheat like that is shocking, IMHO.
Likes For woodway:
Old 01-16-23, 09:12 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Well there you have it. What a crappy design by Shimano. They should be ashamed to release something like that into the wild. People see a USB port, they are going to plug into the USB port. That they allow their charger to go unstable and overheat like that is shocking, IMHO.
What I can't figure out is why a LOWER current would cause a fire.
Old 01-16-23, 09:42 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
1) Most of the AC/DC adapters (or ''cubes'') are providing at least 5V/1A so it's not a problem

2) Why would someone charge a DI2 system on a laptop?

3) Why would someone try to charge DI2 on a laptop that's on stand-by?

Shimano could also safe proof their chargers by preventing the recharge as long as the minimum requirements are not met. USB 2.0 ports are providing 0.5A I believe, and USB 3.0 are providing 0.9A. Not sure how complicated this is, but it should be feasible. I'm on the ''crappy design'' side.
Old 01-16-23, 03:47 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Originally Posted by eduskator
1)
2) Why would someone charge a DI2 system on a laptop?
3) Why would someone try to charge DI2 on a laptop that's on stand-by?
If you need to charge your bike, cannot find a brick but your laptop is sitting there, what are you going to do? It's got this USB port that connects beautifully to your charger. You start charging and then go to bed and shut the laptop cover without thinking about it.

If Shimano is going to release a USB-capable charging product, it needs to work safely with ALL USB ports, laptop or other. FULL STOP. It's also not that hard to do just a little more expensive.

As far as how the lower current can cause a fire, I'm speculating, but it likely goes back to a crappy charger design. The dc-dc convertor in their charger is probably becoming unstable at low current levels and dissipates all the incoming power as heat rather than passing it into the di2 battery.

Last edited by woodway; 01-16-23 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-16-23, 03:57 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts
What's wrong with a computer USB port for charging?
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Generally not enough power running through it to properly charge. I think it can sort of slow charge it over a really long period but an iphone brick or something larger will be much quicker and make more sense.
Interesting point!. I have a spare power adapter (model: HW-050450E00) from an old huawei phone with those stats:
Input voltage (INPUT): 100V-240V 50 / 60HZ
Output voltage (OUTPUT): 5V (Volt) 2A (Ampere) or 4.5V (Volt) 5A (Ampere) or 5V (Volt) 4.5A (Ampere)

can be okay with charging my di2?
Old 01-16-23, 04:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
Interesting point!. I have a spare power adapter (model: HW-050450E00) from an old huawei phone with those stats:
Input voltage (INPUT): 100V-240V 50 / 60HZ
Output voltage (OUTPUT): 5V (Volt) 2A (Ampere) or 4.5V (Volt) 5A (Ampere) or 5V (Volt) 4.5A (Ampere)

can be okay with charging my di2?
Probably just fine.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-16-23, 07:14 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Let me put a WAG in on this.

"Use an AC adapter with a USB port with a voltage of 5.0 V DC and with a current equal to or higher than 1.0 A DC. If the one with a current lower than 1.0 A is used, the AC adapter may heat up, potentially causing a fire, smoke, overheating, destruction, electric shock, or burns."

"Do not connect the charger to PC when it is on standby. This may cause a PC failure depending on its specifications."
=============================================

Note the words I have highlighted. The issue is damage to external devices, not the DI2 battery.

My guess is similar to Woodway's. They will need a boost supply to get the voltage up to a level that will charge the batteries. If that external supply is poorly designed, it may pull more current from the charger (or laptop) than the EXTERNAL CHARGE SOURCE can safely supply. If you use a USB connector that has a specification of supplying 0.5A, then your design has to play nicely with a device that supplies 0.5A
Old 01-16-23, 07:25 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Let me put a WAG in on this.

=============================================

Note the words I have highlighted. The issue is damage to external devices, not the DI2 battery.

My guess is similar to Woodway's. They will need a boost supply to get the voltage up to a level that will charge the batteries. If that external supply is poorly designed, it may pull more current from the charger (or laptop) than the EXTERNAL CHARGE SOURCE can safely supply. If you use a USB connector that has a specification of supplying 0.5A, then your design has to play nicely with a device that supplies 0.5A
And yet, the Di2 batteries were damaged, Shimano did warranty them and the Shimano US tech reps gave the specific advice I've relayed to all of you:
DON'T CHARGE YOUR DI2 WITH A COMPUTER. USE A HIGH QUALITY BRICK LIKE ONE FROM AN IPHONE.

If you want to disregard that Shimano advice, have at it. But don't obscure it by saying that advice doesn't exist.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-16-23, 08:26 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
And yet, the Di2 batteries were damaged, Shimano did warranty them and the Shimano US tech reps gave the specific advice I've relayed to all of you:
DON'T CHARGE YOUR DI2 WITH A COMPUTER. USE A HIGH QUALITY BRICK LIKE ONE FROM AN IPHONE.

If you want to disregard that Shimano advice, have at it. But don't obscure it by saying that advice doesn't exist.
Please look at what Woodway and I have written. What the written Shimano manual posted here, which I quoted, states is that the DI2 can cause damage to an external charger. Can we agree on that?

Now if an external power supply is damaged, who knows what voltage and current is going to come out of it. So yes, a damaged external power supply can cause damage to any electrical device that it is connected to, including a DI2 battery. Absolutely nowhere did I suggest ignoring Shimano's advice if you have their DI2 system. What I was pointing out is that the initial failure they are warning about is to the external power supply.

By the way, in addition to my work on battery powered electronic devices, I have spent a fair amount of time getting a pile of certifications as a fire cause and point of origin investigator from the NFPA.
Old 01-16-23, 10:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Low amps damages the battery over time.
Jeezus.

Please define "good current." And while you're at it, define "bad current."
Old 01-16-23, 10:48 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Please look at what Woodway and I have written. What the written Shimano manual posted here, which I quoted, states is that the DI2 can cause damage to an external charger. Can we agree on that?

Now if an external power supply is damaged, who knows what voltage and current is going to come out of it. So yes, a damaged external power supply can cause damage to any electrical device that it is connected to, including a DI2 battery. Absolutely nowhere did I suggest ignoring Shimano's advice if you have their DI2 system. What I was pointing out is that the initial failure they are warning about is to the external power supply.

By the way, in addition to my work on battery powered electronic devices, I have spent a fair amount of time getting a pile of certifications as a fire cause and point of origin investigator from the NFPA.
Super. The guy whose battery went bad from using his computer didn't have any computer problems. Just the Di2 battery.

Other examples were outlets with spotty output and USBs built into power strips.

I don't think anyone here has the information to state why there is a problem.
Old 01-16-23, 10:59 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Koyote
Jeezus.

Please define "good current." And while you're at it, define "bad current."
I attempted to summarize what the Shimano techs told me, so perhaps you would like to call Shimano and grant them the honorary masters degrees you like handing out. I'll make do with the B school honors, as my electrical expertise ends with low voltage electrician matters. "Low voltage" can be a problem at outlets, but I know nothing about how rectifiers work.
Old 01-17-23, 07:09 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Why not just plug it into a wall outlet?
Old 01-17-23, 07:13 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

I attempted to summarize what the Shimano techs told me, so perhaps you would like to call Shimano and grant them the honorary masters degrees you like handing out. I'll make do with the B school honors, as my electrical expertise ends with low voltage electrician matters. "Low voltage" can be a problem at outlets, but I know nothing about how rectifiers work.
Are you talking about voltage or current. Two different things. Charging voltage needs to match. Current generally needs to be under a certain amount.
Old 01-17-23, 08:00 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Lombard
Why not just plug it into a wall outlet?
Good idea. Which part plugs into the wall?

Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-17-23, 08:23 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Good idea. Which part plugs into the wall?

Hmmm. Couldn't you use any 120V to USB adaptor? If not, then major design flaw and one more reason I'm glad I never went to e-shifting.
Old 01-17-23, 08:30 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Lombard
Hmmm. Couldn't you use any 120V to USB adaptor? If not, then major design flaw and one more reason I'm glad I never went to e-shifting.
Did you happen to notice that this was a discussion about what type of 120V to USB adapter to use?
Old 01-17-23, 09:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 3,261 Posts
You can use a power supply that puts out a gagillion amps as long as the output is 5volts. The charger will only use as many of those amps as it needs. However if you use too low an amperage like the 0.5amps that your USB 1 or 2 port puts out, then the length of the wire plus the amperage required to operate the sm-bcr2 may not be sufficient to charge the battery. A USB 3 port is 0.9 amps

Shimano in some of their manuals says to plug your sm-bcr2 into a powersupply or port that can put out 1.0 amps or better. No restriction on the upper limit of amperage.

https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/dm/R8...050-05-ENG.pdf

In other manuals they are sort of wishy-washy about it and just say that a flashing "charge indicator" light just means it's connected to something that isn't putting out 1.0amps. Maybe their support people got tired of trying to explain what was and what wasn't a USB 3 port and why 0.9 amps and 0.5 amps made a difference.

However for either they say to don't use a USB hub. As with some USB hubs, they aren't powered and the amperage coming out of the port on the PC they are connected to gets shared between any other device on the hub. So another opportunity for some to have issues and of course there will be exceptions and some will be able to charge their Di2 battery.

So for those that want to charge with their computer, some will and some won't be able to. If you want to be certain, then plug your sm-bcr2 into most any other phone charger that you probably have laying around. The super or turbo phone chargers are ideal, IMO.
Likes For Iride01:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.