Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Summary at 82yo

Old 10-10-21, 05:04 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
Summary at 82yo

Next month I will be 82yo. About 40-50% of high school friends are no longer with us. I put together a listing of all the "ailments" I have accumulated and are pretty much still with me, one way or another. The funny thing is that not one of these affects my performance, daily activities nor just "living." I attribute many of these (but not all) to having lived a pretty stressful life, raising two children with profound disabilities - which meant - 60 years ago, fighting for services which were not available, finding money to pay (worked three jobs), many illnesses and near-death situations, and a whole lot of other stress factors, and, perhaps, not finding out about and treating my blood pressure early enough. Both stress and HBP are killers. Anyway, I bicycle, swim, walk, stretch, do resistance exercises, etc. daily. Several items on the list are simply aging. Not much one can do about them. But, my blood work on annual physical is totally within normal range. Well, here is the list:

White Matter disease
Cataracts (treated)
Dry eye disease
Lower eyelid doesn’t close well (needs surgery)
Glaucoma (treating)
Skin Cancer (treated)
Trigeminal Neuralgia, first treated by drugs, then Micro Vascular Decompression then drugs then 2 Gamma Knifes, resulting in total numbness of right side of face, eye, teeth, but marked reduction of intolerable pain of TN
Hearing going
Dysphasia
Corrected Atrial Fibrillation, now normal
Left Anterior Fascicular Block
L4-L5 Fusion
Dendriform Pulmonary Ossification
Pulmonary Hypertension (mild)
Extreme sensitivity to Carrageenan
Bunions
Right shoulder separation, Type II
High Blood Pressure (treated - generally 120/80 or less
Mild Sleep Apnea (weight loss and it is mostly gone)

Last edited by gobicycling; 10-10-21 at 05:28 PM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 10-10-21, 07:15 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Glad there is nothing serious. Keep doing what you are doing.
Live long and prosper.
Old 10-11-21, 07:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Next month I will be 82yo. About 40-50% of high school friends are no longer with us. I put together a listing of all the "ailments" I have accumulated and are pretty much still with me, one way or another. The funny thing is that not one of these affects my performance, daily activities nor just "living." I attribute many of these (but not all) to having lived a pretty stressful life, raising two children with profound disabilities - which meant - 60 years ago, fighting for services which were not available, finding money to pay (worked three jobs), many illnesses and near-death situations, and a whole lot of other stress factors, and, perhaps, not finding out about and treating my blood pressure early enough. Both stress and HBP are killers. Anyway, I bicycle, swim, walk, stretch, do resistance exercises, etc. daily. Several items on the list are simply aging. Not much one can do about them. But, my blood work on annual physical is totally within normal range. Well, here is the list:

White Matter disease
Cataracts (treated)
Dry eye disease
Glaucoma (treating)
Skin Cancer (treated)
Trigeminal Neuralgia, first treated by drugs, then Micro Vascular Decompression then drugs then 2 Gamma Knifes, resulting in total numbness of right side of face, eye, teeth, but marked reduction of intolerable pain of TN
Hearing going
Dysphasia
L4-L5 Fusion
Bunions
Impressive!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-17-21, 10:21 PM
OldBrokeReCycle

Bikes: 1980 Trek 510 owned since '81 BLINGED; 20?? Speicialized Secteur; 201? Trek Excalibre Bafung coverted; 20?? Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Enjoy your ride. You deserve it :-)
Re: Mild Sleep Apnea (weight loss and it is mostly gone)
Did you do CPAP and then stop? I'm pushing 70, stubborningly a bit over my BMI, use the hose and am not enamored. The medical/industrial complex seems to believe that once a CPAP always a CPAP. I would like to resist.
Old 10-18-21, 12:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread, but last month, while on a two-week, unsupported bike tour, I just happened to run into co-author Chris Crowley on the Harlem Valley Trail in Copake, NY. He's now '87 and still riding a drop bar road bike.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-20-21, 08:25 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I mentioned this in another thread, but last month, while on a two-week, unsupported bike tour, I just happened to run into co-author Chris Crowley on the Harlem Valley Trail in Copake, NY. He's now '87 and still riding a drop bar road bike.

My wife and I are in one of the editions of that book

Last edited by gobicycling; 10-20-21 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-21-21, 04:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
My wife and I are in one of the editions of that book
Neat. The meeting was completely fortuitous. I was camping at Taconic State Park during a tour. The entrance is right next to a bike trail and the old freight station that is now a store/cafe.

Set up camp and rode down to the store for brews and a paper. There was a rider talking to a small group of riders outside the store. I the solo rider tell the group about a book he had written, mentioning the title. I couldn’t believe it. None of the group had heard of it. I butted in and said I read it some 15 years ago.
Old 10-27-21, 03:35 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts

White Matter disease
Cataracts (treated)
Dry eye disease
Glaucoma (treating)
Skin Cancer (treated)
Hearing going
Dysphasia
L4-L5 Fusion
Bunions
How did the L4-L5 fusion treat you? I've got an MRI scheduled for next month, with special attention on the L5-S1.
Old 10-27-21, 08:19 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Originally Posted by gif4445
How did the L4-L5 fusion treat you? I've got an MRI scheduled for next month, with special attention on the L5-S1.
The surgeon is all important. My wife's a retired nurse, and can tell you horror stories about certain surgeons, and others are great. Check them out carefully through references, ask operating room nurses and mostly important ask physical therapists. They know who is good and who is not. A friend of ours was butchered by a surgeon who had two cases of malpractice against him in another state. She did not check the medical board website to see what charges have been made against the surgeon she had.
As far as the fusion, I had a great surgeon and it went well. I also had a great physical therapist and was riding my mountain bike on the street/paths in 18 days. I still have to be careful and stretch everyday, which I do religiously. Second opinions are always called for.
Old 10-31-21, 06:38 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
The surgeon is all important. My wife's a retired nurse, and can tell you horror stories about certain surgeons, and others are great. Check them out carefully through references, ask operating room nurses and mostly important ask physical therapists. They know who is good and who is not. A friend of ours was butchered by a surgeon who had two cases of malpractice against him in another state. She did not check the medical board website to see what charges have been made against the surgeon she had.
As far as the fusion, I had a great surgeon and it went well. I also had a great physical therapist and was riding my mountain bike on the street/paths in 18 days. I still have to be careful and stretch everyday, which I do religiously. Second opinions are always called for.
Thanks for the reply. No matter what is found on the MRI, I anticipate doing quite a little homework before the next step.
Old 01-21-22, 10:01 PM
reedwm

Bikes: Specialized 2012 Roubaix Elite Rival Compact, Specialized 2020 Crosstrail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

White Matter disease
Cataracts (treated)
Dry eye disease
Glaucoma (treating)
Skin Cancer (treated)
Hearing going
Dysphasia
L4-L5 Fusion
Bunions
How did you correct the atrial fibrillation? Mine has started acting up again. I am also 82.
Old 01-22-22, 10:15 PM
missinglink

Bikes: 2013 Marin Redwood - 2015 Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
I'd also like to learn how you corrected the Afib.

Thank you.......