Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Grocery shopping with my new folding bike.

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 05-09-22, 03:46 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Bike is a Tern BYB P8 for those curious. I decided I was tired of trying to store my '80s touring bike in a crowded basement in a house with 5 adult occupants, and also wanted the potential to travel more easily with my bike, so I picked this bike up. This was my first run buying groceries with it, which was a real test of how well this bike is going to fit my day-to-day cycling needs. It passed the test with flying colors. It felt very stable with this moderate load, and the stock fenders do a great job keeping my feet and drivetrain dry on wet roads. The only downside is that the rack that the bike comes with will only take relatively small panniers, hence the ortlieb front rollers, but it could easily have handled the bags twice as full as they were.

Likes For willydstyle:
Old 05-18-22, 01:32 PM
lorr1e1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I used to do my shopping on my hybrid bike with Ortlieb bike shopper panniers, still got the set up and looking forward to starting up again. I've never ridden a foldable bike but tempted to get one, though not really for shopping more commute. I recomment keeping your bike locked up well with two different types of lock. i've caught two thieves taking a look at my bike but then walking away with a third what look like an attempt at my lock but just dented the rubber on the d lock. so i was lucky so i'm getting additonal locks this time around.
Likes For lorr1e1:
Old 05-21-22, 05:46 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Just saying, the zero sugar soft drinks are slow poison. I mention it only because there appears to be some attempt at healthier eating displayed in the photo. The only non-sugar sweeteners that are not terrible for you are Stevia and Xylitol. Few mass market brands use them because, of course, they cost more than Sucralose, Aspartame, and etc. There are a couple of other 'natural' non-sugar sweeteners but they cause some people digestive issues. But that's not why I am writing. One of our tandems has a special quick release skewer that allows it to pull a Bob Yak single wheel trailer. That thing is boss for shopping expeditions. I got the same skewer in standard MTB length so my folding bike (Giant Expressway) can pull the trailer as well. I also have an insulated backpack box carrier like the Doordash couriers use and that can be seriously overloaded. I only dare use that on my cargo bike. Over the years I have had a number of seatpost failures with folders and I weigh 195lb. I wouldn't dare strap 50lb+ on my back and get on a folder. Some people (long distance tourers) say having weight on the front end helps the handling of folders and people have been known to just carry water (ballast) in front panniers on folders just so they handle better. FWIW.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 05-21-22, 08:46 PM
lorr1e1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Just saying, the zero sugar soft drinks are slow poison. I mention it only because there appears to be some attempt at healthier eating displayed in the photo. The only non-sugar sweeteners that are not terrible for you are Stevia and Xylitol. Few mass market brands use them because, of course, they cost more than Sucralose, Aspartame, and etc. There are a couple of other 'natural' non-sugar sweeteners but they cause some people digestive issues. But that's not why I am writing. One of our tandems has a special quick release skewer that allows it to pull a Bob Yak single wheel trailer. That thing is boss for shopping expeditions. I got the same skewer in standard MTB length so my folding bike (Giant Expressway) can pull the trailer as well. I also have an insulated backpack box carrier like the Doordash couriers use and that can be seriously overloaded. I only dare use that on my cargo bike. Over the years I have had a number of seatpost failures with folders and I weigh 195lb. I wouldn't dare strap 50lb+ on my back and get on a folder. Some people (long distance tourers) say having weight on the front end helps the handling of folders and people have been known to just carry water (ballast) in front panniers on folders just so they handle better. FWIW.
I can't stand sugar free crap they give me headaches I just stick to sugar

Last edited by lorr1e1; 05-22-22 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-01-22, 01:08 PM
willydstyle

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Some people (long distance tourers) say having weight on the front end helps the handling of folders and people have been known to just carry water (ballast) in front panniers on folders just so they handle better. FWIW.
This folder is perfectly stable with the load on the rear, though I have also since added a front rack so I can carry more without using a backpack, it doesn't seem necessary for stability at all. I am very happy with my purchase of this BYB.

Also, this note is for everybody: unasked-for dietary advice is rude.
Likes For willydstyle:
Old 06-01-22, 04:01 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by willydstyle
This folder is perfectly stable with the load on the rear, though I have also since added a front rack so I can carry more without using a backpack, it doesn't seem necessary for stability at all. I am very happy with my purchase of this BYB.

Also, this note is for everybody: unasked-for dietary advice is rude.
Posting 1024x1083 pixel photos of your shopping haul is ... polite? Just because you don't like what I have to say does not make it rude for me to say it. Welcome to The Internet, warts and all.
Old 06-05-22, 11:25 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I use a Tern Loader2 rack on my Dahon Speed in conjunction with a basket.

I don't know how well panniers will work on this rack but, the Tern Cargo Rack builds on the design by allowing the height to also be adjusted.

As for keeping one's bicycle safe while shopping, there's nothing more secure than keeping it with you. That also dedicates more weight capacity to cargo since it's not being wasted on a lock.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 06-05-22, 06:49 PM
willydstyle

Originally Posted by Nyah

I don't know how well panniers will work on this rack but, the Tern Cargo Rack builds on the design by allowing the height to also be adjusted.

As for keeping one's bicycle safe while shopping, there's nothing more secure than keeping it with you. That also dedicates more weight capacity to cargo since it's not being wasted on a lock.
I really dig your Dahon setup. That color is too.
Old 12-24-22, 01:03 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I really dig your Dahon setup. That color is too.
Thanks. The color seems to shift depending on the light.

Since my original post, I've also been using a front basket, strapped to a typical generic front rack for folding bicycles. Looks a little tilted forward, and, I guess it is, but I use sturdy shopping bags that have handles, which I secure to the basket via a carabiner.

Likes For Nyah:
Old 05-19-23, 09:32 AM
DaneAmerica

Bikes: Peugeot

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love the folding bike. I created a "mini-velo" using a bmx frame 20" and risers for the seat and bullbars. The most fun the ride. I also put the largest sprocket I could find on it. Actually pretty fast!
Old 05-19-23, 05:07 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
...This was my first run buying groceries with it, which was a real test of how well this bike is going to fit my day-to-day cycling needs. It passed the test with flying colors....
Man, I've gone grocery shopping on my longboard with a moderately large backpack and carried a bag in my hand. So I had no doubt your folder would excel beyond your doubts. I have a picture of my load somewhere. If I can find it I'll post it.

Congrats! Many happy miles to you.

...This was my first run buying groceries with it, which was a real test of how well this bike is going to fit my day-to-day cycling needs. It passed the test with flying colors....
Man, I've gone grocery shopping on my longboard with a moderately large backpack and carried a bag in my hand. So I had no doubt your folder would excel beyond your doubts. I have a picture of my load somewhere. If I can find it I'll post it.

Congrats! Many happy miles to you.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 05-20-23 at 12:44 PM.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 06-03-23, 10:00 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
sharp set up
Old 06-03-23, 10:01 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah

Sharp set up.
Old 01-13-24, 05:47 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 250 Posts
I'd retrofit the BYB for a tall rack, designed for full-size bikes, you'll need that height to keep full-size panniers high enough to not drag on curbs when you ride close. If no attachment points on seatstays, use rubber covered stainless steel wire clamps, available at marine supply stores in various sizes. Look for rack that will hold the panniers far enough aft that their front edge is even with rear axle center, you need that for heel clearance; Racks like that are hard to find, but worth it. Due to that, you'll need super XL length rack stays, made by Jandd and others.