Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing shifters?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Replacing shifters?

Old 04-08-20, 02:04 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
Replacing shifters?

My right 9 speed Tiagra shifter is missing...as in it will shift down the cog, just not back up. It isn't catching on anything when shifting. Really sucked the other day. Made me finish my ride in a single speed. I know the bike needs a good cleaning, but I am guessing that is not the issue.

Anyway, this is an old bike, although I do like it. I have "plans" on a new bike at some point so I don't want to spend too much money.

Was thinking of just getting the Left and Right 9 speed Sora shifters. Will I need new cables as well? Or will I be able to reuse?

I was thinking it would be a good time to upgrade to 10 speed, but I really don't need it, plus it would be more $$.

Thanks
Old 04-08-20, 02:09 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It is likely that the lubricant in the shifter has gummed up with age and is preventing the ratchet mechanism from catching. A solvent flush and relube may help. It is also possible that the shift wire is frayed inside the shifter and impeding its action. Better to find out and replace it new than after it parts and you need to dig the broken-off piece out, an unenviable task.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-08-20, 02:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Might just need adjusting. Sometimes the cable slips in the hold fast on the DR.
Might just need a new cable. Sometimes frayed up in the shifter and that mucks things up.

Shifter might indeed be ruined. I'd explore the $5.00 cable before replacing what is probably one of the most expensive components on your bike.
Old 04-08-20, 02:46 PM
BobsPoprad

Thanks...I haven't had time to put it on the stand. I guess if I take it somewhat apart, no harm done if I have to replace.
Old 04-08-20, 03:17 PM
BobsPoprad

So I went out to garage...and my bike has center pull Avid Shorty brakes...the new Sora has the internal route for the cables/housing. The Tiagra is the old Shimano Flight deck, so shift cables are out in front of handlebars. If I do end up ordering...this should all be compatible, yes?

Thanks

Last edited by BobsPoprad; 04-08-20 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-08-20, 03:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bike makers will mix and match components to be able to price the bike at the price point they want it to sell at, so Tektro brakes with Tiagra shifters does not tell us much.

You should be able to find a youtube video for your model of Tiagra. Though sometimes the youtube videos are made by someone that doesn't have a clue either but just talks good. You might go to shimano's tech doc site and find a model of Tiagra that looks similar to yours. The DM's will give the most info about it. The exploded veiw might give you a quick idea if that is your model.

Or perhaps share with us the year, make and model of your bike. And a picture is worth a lot too...........
Old 04-08-20, 03:41 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by BobsPoprad
So I went out to garage...and my bike has center pull Avid Shorty brakes...the new Sora has the internal route for the cables/housing. The Tiagra is the old Shimano Flight deck, so shift cables are out in front of handlebars. If I do end up ordering...this should all be compatible, yes?

Thanks
Yes
Old 04-08-20, 03:49 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts

Thanks
You may have to adjust the housing some, but it should work.
Old 04-08-20, 03:51 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I think that putting new shifters on old cables is false economy; cables are as much a part of the shifting system as the shifters and derailleurs and crappy cables have caused myriad problems. I also think replacing shifters which may be repairable, without attempting to fix them, is wasteful, but it is your money.
Note that the under-the-bar tape cable routing is much more likely to result in frayed inner shift wires due to the tighter bends, so check them frequently and at any sudden change in shift behavior.
Old 04-08-20, 03:59 PM
BobsPoprad

Here are some pics...

Old 04-08-20, 04:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

ooooh... Tiagra 4500? Still, there is no magic wand we can give you. You either have to investigate and eliminate or take it to someone that can.

I'd start by trying to see if I can get the full nine clicks out of the shifter in both directions. Might have to pull on the bare cable running down the downtube while shifting to the higher gears (smaller cogs) Might have to turn the crank too so having the back wheel off the ground will help too, or just take the cable off the rear DR.

If the shifter binds in any way when trying to shift, don't force it, might be a frayed cable in shifter. If possible, you want to get it to the highest gear setting to replace the cable. I might try to get some WD40 up in it. But don't let it get on your wheel rims or brakes. Then you'll be making additional trouble for yourself.
Old 04-08-20, 05:08 PM
BobsPoprad

It does shift all the way up...I shifted while pulling the cable along the down tube. I have my cart ready at Nashbar...but I think I will put it up on the stand tomorrow after work. I am not riding it anyway I guess. Might save me $$. I still am going to replace chain, cassette, and bar tape.
Old 04-08-20, 05:12 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Start by cutting the cable and taking it out. Try some spray lube to flush while you are shifting up and down. If it catches, you are in luck. Replace with new cable. If it's truly broken, you'll need to replace them. You'll lose that online adjuster, but you already have them on your downtube.
Old 04-08-20, 05:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Not just up, but down too. If it works both ways, then probably your DR needs adjusting and maybe the cable slipped in the hold fast on the DR.

If you are just itching to order a new shifter, then order it. But remember you still are going to have to do all of the things and more that you'd do to simply replace and adjust the cable. And I don't know that you've eliminated the derailleur from being the culprit.
Old 04-08-20, 05:32 PM
BobsPoprad

Well, I just ordered Butt'r that I was running low on. Planning on looking at it in the stand this weekend.

Thanks.
Likes For BobsPoprad:
Old 04-08-20, 05:36 PM
curbtender

Well, I just ordered Butt'r that I was running low on. Planning on looking at it in the stand this weekend.

Thanks.
Ha, ok, never tried that on a shifter...
Old 04-10-20, 07:35 AM
BobsPoprad

Ok, here are a couple of pics. I basically stripped the bike of the rear shifter and brakes. Cables, etc. Cleaned out the shifter as best as possible, then lubed it up well. While holding it in my hand, no cables, it shifts (clicks) the correct number of time. Up and down. No missing. No fraying on the cable, anywhere. But was very dirty. So I am planning on ordering cable and housing. Do most of you orders "kits," or do you by "bulk" stuff?

Old 04-10-20, 07:38 AM
BobsPoprad

Oh, in the second photo, what is the paper looking stuff? Looks like it connects something. It goes from the top of the shifter all the way down. Both shifters have it. I lightly pulled on it, but it seems it is supposed to be there.

Where do you all buy online stuff? Hard to get to my local (30 miles away) shop. and, well, other stuff.

Last edited by BobsPoprad; 04-10-20 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-10-20, 08:05 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
I ordered bulk housing and cables years ago. I'm close to breaking even by now, at one-two recable jobs per year, and soon I'll start saving money.

I think the Jagwire cables and housing came from bikeman.com -- at least one label looks like that.

Oh, and you'll want to get a good cable cutter -- my Pedro's is about as low as I'd go.
Old 04-10-20, 08:34 AM
BobsPoprad

Dang, so why is bikeman.com like $9 cheaper than Nashbar for the same product? I thought Nashbar was the bottom. No offense, Nashbar.
Old 04-10-20, 08:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Dang, so why is bikeman.com like $9 cheaper than Nashbar for the same product? I thought Nashbar was the bottom. No offense, Nashbar.
You always have to look around for who has the best deal + shipping at the moment. And I mean moment. Sometimes the next day things will be drastically different.

Part of it is marketing, part of it is cost of inventory, sometimes it's just a need for cashflow at that moment. All sorts of reasons.
Old 04-10-20, 10:20 AM
curbtender

Oh, in the second photo, what is the paper looking stuff? Looks like it connects something. It goes from the top of the shifter all the way down. Both shifters have it. I lightly pulled on it, but it seems it is supposed to be there.

Where do you all buy online stuff? Hard to get to my local (30 miles away) shop. and, well, other stuff.
Those are the wires for the Flight Deck computer, if you have one.
Old 04-10-20, 10:42 AM
BobsPoprad

Thanks! I was very curious. I don't have one, so I guess I don't have to worry.
Old 05-10-20, 03:51 PM
BobsPoprad

Ok, so update. Finally got around to replacing cables. The fron is fine, the right/rear still doesn't shift. Is there only one way to feed the cable through the shifter? It doesn't shift at all now. The derailleur does move up and down the cassette as I pull on cable at downtube, so that part works. Just wondering if I am missing something, or the shifter is toast. It clicks, just doesn't shift.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-20, 04:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Did you click the small lever a bunch of times before putting the cable in it? That gets the reel fully to the low position so it can begin to take up cable as you click the big lever. Certainly there ought to be a youtube vid for you to watch.

The shifter might be toast. Might just need something fixed you can't see.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.