Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Koga-Miyata!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Koga-Miyata!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-20, 04:32 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
I'm on a roll tonight, here is the 1991 Technical Specifications this time. Specs, prices and geometry but no weights.
Another fun one here is the quick overview of models in the middle. I have added some descriptions to get a sense of what each series was designed for according to Koga. This was clearly during the height of their venture into the mountainbike scene with lots of varieties in between pure mountainbikes and more multi-purpose hybrids. Honestly, there are like three different series that each have mountainbike-like models.This one has the technical specifications for the following bikes:
  1. ProRacing "Road bikes designed for professional- and Koga's amateur teams. The FullPro-Carbolite and RecordPro were used by the Tulip/Koga-Miyata team."
    • RecordPro ()RP
    • FullPro-Carbolite (FP-CBL)
    • FullPro (FP)
    • Pro (PRO)
  2. SportRacing "Their consumer road racing line with trickle down knowledge from the ProRacing series."
    • GentsRacer-Carbolite (GR-CBL)
    • SuperWinner (SW)
    • RoadWinner (RW)
    • GranWinner (GW)
    • Flyer (FL)
    • Exerciser (EX)
    • Runner (RU-S)
    • Prologue (PG)
  3. MountainBikes "Heavy duty racing mountainbikes designed in their test centre near Vancouver, Canada."
    • SkyRunner-Carbolite (SKR)
    • RidgeRunner (RDG)
    • TrailRunner (TRA)
  4. AllTerrainBikes "Allterrain bikes with lots of design cues from the Mountainbike range but without the more extreme requirements of the MTB series. With the TerraRunner-Carbolite being a direct copy of the one used by Greg Herbold who won the UCI Mountain bike World Championships downhill on one."
    • TerraRunner-Carbolite (TRR-CBL)
    • TerraRunner (TRR)
    • ValleyRunner (VRR)
    • ForeRunner (FRR)
    • ForeRunnerLady (FRL)
  5. CrossCountry "Classic hybrid bicycles meant as a mixture between the light weight and speed of a road racing bike and the toughness and stability of an ATB."
    • TerraLiner-Carbolite (TRL-CBL)
    • TerraLiner (TRL)
    • CityLiner (CL)
    • CityLinerLady (CLL)
    • TieBreaker (TB)
    • HeartBreaker (HB)
  6. GranTurismo "Touring bikes designed for use around the world. "
    • RandonneurAlly (RDA)
    • RandonneurExtra (RDE)
    • WorldTraveller (WT)
    • WorldTravellerLady (WTL)
    • Traveller (TR)
    • TravellerLady (TRL)
  7. Town & Country "A collection of lightweight city and weekend bicycles. Most of them with more upright frames, making them more stable and maneuverable. Luxury, low weight, comfort and all-weather viability makes these great commuter bicycles. "
    • CountryTourer (CT)
    • CountryTourerLady (CTL)
    • RoadGentleman (RG)
    • RoadLady (RL)
    • RoadAce (RA)
    • RoadAce-Lady (RAL)

Last edited by JaccoW; 11-29-20 at 06:10 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 11-28-20, 04:43 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Nice work, and scan quality
Likes For ctak:
Old 11-28-20, 05:01 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Originally Posted by ctak
Nice work, and scan quality
Thanks! I'm really happy about the scan quality as well. The stitch line lined up in the perfect place for it to be invisible.
Old 11-28-20, 08:59 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
@JaccoW as always, a continued thank you! Surfing through the geometry for 1991, the top level racers in 63cm sizes had a miniscule 27mm of fork rake! I don't think I've seen numbers that low since, well, 35mm of later K-Ms and maybe track bikes.

Also in 1991, and this may depend on 1992's geometry, but there is clear evidence (via your scans) that around this time was a decided shift in race bike geometry in, at least, the 66cm size. 1993 and later see 60.0cm and 61.5cm TTs with 72° ST angles. 1991 has the Flyer and Prologue at 57.0cm TT lengths with 73° ST angles. [Naturally, if you were to "convert" a 1991 Flyer's top tube length to compare it evenly (with regard to seat tube angles) against a 1993 Flyer, that 57.0cm number would be 58.1cm.]

Geometry for Touring/Trecking/Town & Country in 1991 are essentially the same as they are for 1993 and later. Naturally, I am really liking the geometry "development" for ~1991 and earlier 66cm models with their decidedly shorter top tubes (and thus shorter reach)! Sure, the short 35mm rake and mega-long 68mm of trail for those 1993 bikes is not present for 1991 and older bikes ("just" some normal 45mm of rake and resulting normal 56mm of trail), but I'll take a more preferable reach number over it any day.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 12-11-20, 09:46 AM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,050 Posts
This Koga-Miyata Gents Racer has been lingering on the local CL for several months now. Price originally started at $400, down to $290 as of today. I don't know if that's a great price, or out there in the stratosphere. The rust at the headtube lug at the top tube bothers me, but perhaps I am overreacting. Regardless, if anyone really has to have it, I might be convinced to facilitate, maybe.
https://asheville.craigslist.org/bik...245215367.html

Old 12-11-20, 11:53 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Restore and it sits, or build to ride?

I was just gifted one, 1980 or 1981 Racer Pro. One year had red letters on the frame decals, one year had green letters on the frame decals, so go figure....

Anyway, here is the issue: I can restore this beast to OEM easily, but I would not be able to ride it.

A 56cm frame in this model is basically a 58cm using the Dyna Drive cranks/pedals. This is a “58DD” and has a setback AX post and a 120mm AX stem.

So, restore to display status, or swap out everything and ride it (Tricolor 8 STI).??

Asking the Koga folks....
Old 12-11-20, 12:14 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I was just gifted one, 1980 or 1981 Racer Pro. One year had red letters on the frame decals, one year had green letters on the frame decals, so go figure....

Anyway, here is the issue: I can restore this beast to OEM easily, but I would not be able to ride it.

A 56cm frame in this model is basically a 58cm using the Dyna Drive cranks/pedals. This is a “58DD” and has a setback AX post and a 120mm AX stem.

So, restore to display status, or swap out everything and ride it (Tricolor 8 STI).??

I don't have one of these, but I do have a Miyata-produced Univega Competizione from the same era (Tange 1 tubes, not Miyata proprietary), and I think you would be missing out if you don't try it out before hanging it on the wall. If you can gather the "correct" parts in parallel with the stuff you'll use to make it rideable, then maybe that? But if you have to choose, get it to a state in which you can ride it first, my two cents.
Old 12-11-20, 12:27 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

I say update. You have a good eye for resto-mod look.
Old 01-21-21, 09:21 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by slowmo105
If someone wants photos let me know and I’ll snap some. But no snickering!
It just occurred to me you can already upload your photos to your personal album on here and somebody else can assist with posting the links. So you could upload them and I can host them here.
Just quote me or send me a message to let me know.
Old 01-24-21, 08:41 PM
slowmo105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
It just occurred to me you can already upload your photos to your personal album on here and somebody else can assist with posting the links. So you could upload them and I can host them here.
Just quote me or send me a message to let me know.
hello Jacco - I will take some pictures and do that. This bike is in very rough condition and so am I (58 and out of shape) There’s some mysteries that don’t make sense. However I started riding it by putting flat pedals and replacing the stem with a tall one. Now it is very relaxing.
Likes For slowmo105:
Old 01-24-21, 10:11 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplap
Another excuse to post a picture of my bike? Sure why not.

1989 Koga Miyata Randonneur Extra

Where is this? Looks familiar.

Is the bike mostly original? Got a Flickr album or any other photo albums?
Old 01-26-21, 02:25 PM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Where is this? Looks familiar.

Is the bike mostly original? Got a Flickr album or any other photo albums?
I see you're in Arizona, that shot was at Tempe Town Lake. Almost none of the bike is original. The seat post and headset are original. The crank and brakes are the silver versions of the original bits. The cockpit, saddle, wheels, fenders, rack are all modern(ish) production bits.

No album, but there are photos in various configurations, along with the original as-found setup in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...eur-extra.html
Old 01-26-21, 02:37 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplap
I see you're in Arizona, that shot was at Tempe Town Lake. Almost none of the bike is original. The seat post and headset are original. The crank and brakes are the silver versions of the original bits. The cockpit, saddle, wheels, fenders, rack are all modern(ish) production bits.

No album, but there are photos in various configurations, along with the original as-found setup in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...eur-extra.html
I thought so! I live downtown but spent about 10 years living in Tempe.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 02-14-21, 11:27 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Here are the brochure scans for the year 1992. The Technical Specifications are coming up too but I ran out of time this weekend.
This has information on the following models:
  1. ProRacing
    "Road bikes designed for professional- and Koga's amateur teams. The FullPro-Carbolite and RecordPro were used by the Tulip/Koga-Miyata team. Based on the latest materials such as titanium and carbon combined with the tried and tested Hardtlite® FM-1 splined triple butted chromoly tubing."
    • RecordPro
    • FullPro-Titanium
    • FullPro-Carbolite
    • FullPro
    • Pro
  2. SportRacing
    "Their consumer road racing line with trickle down knowledge from the ProRacing series."
    • GentsRacer-Carbolite
    • RoadWinner
    • GranWinner
    • Flyer
    • Excerciser
    • Runner
    • Prologue
  3. MounTainBikes
    "Heavy duty racing mountainbikes designed in their test centre near Vancouver, Canada. Using the latest materials such as carbon and aluminium for a low weight."
    • SkyRunner-Carbolite
    • RidgeRunner
    • TrailRunner
    • TerraRunner-Carbolite
    • TerraRunner
  4. AllTerrainBikes
    "AllTerrainBikes are bikes designed to feel at home on all kinds of terrain. Paved and Unpaved roads, gently sloping landscapes, forest tracks and mountain slopes. An ATB is like a MountainBike with more comfort through a more upright position."
    • ValleyRunner
    • ForeRunner/ForeRunnerLady
  5. CrossCountry
    "Classic hybrid bicycles meant as a mixture between the light weight and speed of a road racing bike and the toughness and stability of an ATB."
    • TerraLiner-Carbolite
    • TerraLiner
  6. Trekking
    "The idea of a Trekking bicycle came from North-America where a Trekking bike is an ATB or Hybrid with racks designed for touring over paved and rough unpaved roads with lots of gear. The lighter running GranTurismo models are based on the European randonneur tradition where most people tour on paved roads. The HeartBreaker/TieBreaker is based on an ATB frame for rough terrain whereas the CityLiner is more of a compromise hybrid model between this and a randonneur with wider tyres."
    • CityLiner/CityLinerLady
    • TieBreaker/HeartBreaker
  7. GranTurismo
    "Touring bikes designed for use around the world. Most with oversized tubing for more stable handling with a load, especially on the larger frame sizes, on long downhills on the mountains."
    • RandonneurAlloy
    • RandonneurExtra
    • WorldTraveller/WorldTravellerLady
    • Traveller/TravellerLady
  8. Town&Country
    "A collection of lightweight city and weekend bicycles. Most of them with more upright frames and longer wheelbases, making them more stable and maneuverable. Luxury, low weight, comfort and all-weather viability makes these great commuter bicycles. "
    • CountryTourer/CountryTourerLady
    • RoadGentleman/RoadLady
    • CountrySport/CountrySportLady
    • RoadAce/RoadAceLady
Photos:
There are some fun photos from that time in here as well.

Last edited by JaccoW; 02-15-21 at 04:34 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 02-15-21, 04:39 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Added extra descriptions based on the brochure for all categories.
Old 02-15-21, 10:01 AM
Slackangles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some fantastic information on this thread and some lovely bikes!
Likes For Slackangles:
Old 02-15-21, 10:38 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Crikey! my Cityliner with 40mm tires has 66mm of trail. That explains a bit.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 02-15-21, 02:15 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

And the Technical Specifications as well.

1992 Technical Specifications - 14MB
Old 02-19-21, 04:57 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

I have some time on my hands the next few weeks so expect some updates here. But to start I think you might like this bit of data.
It give you a pretty good idea of where each model was positioned in the model range each year.

All prices are in NLG (Dutch Guilder, the currency of the Netherlands before the Euro) as mentioned in the brochures.
More to follow.

Old 02-25-21, 05:23 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

I spent way too much time on this, but I hope it will interest somebody in the future.
Partially inspired by the sheets of @RiddleOfSteel

There may or may not be an additional version that adjusts for inflation but to give you an idea, NLG1000 in year X would be € / $ today in 2020:
  • 1982 €944,71 / $1150,36
  • 1983 €918,71 / $1118,69
  • 1984 €889,59 / $1083,24
  • 1985 €870,04 / $1059,43
  • 1986 €868,59 / $1057,67
  • 1987 €872,88 / $1062,89
  • 1988 €866,77 / $1055,45
  • 1989 €857,33 / $1043,95
  • 1990 €836,68 / $1018,80
  • 1991 €805,59 / $980,95
  • 1992 €776,77 / $945,86
  • 1993 €761,09 / $926,77
  • 1994 €740,68 / $901,91
  • 1995 €727,70 / $886,10
  • 1996 €712,69 / $867,83
  • 1997 €697,64 / $849,51
  • 1998 €684,49 / $833,49
  • 1999 €669,97 / $815,81
  • 2000 €653,67 / $795,96
An overview of prices for all models from 1986 till 2000*, ordered by category.
* = The only year that I don't have the price sheet of is 1998. So I made an educated guess by middling the 1997 and 1999 years if possible.

Pro Racing models:
The RecordPro is near the top because it is usually at the top of the list but the price is "on request". So it was probably a fairly expensive model. Excel turns it into a big fat zer0 though.

Racing models:

ATB / Mountainbike models:

Sport Hybrid models:

Touring models:

Hybrid models:

Commuter models:

Enjoy

Last edited by JaccoW; 02-25-21 at 10:20 PM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 02-25-21, 08:28 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Could have made that bottom image all orange. 50/50 choice, eh?
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 02-25-21, 11:08 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel

Could have made that bottom image all orange. 50/50 choice, eh?
I certainly appreciate the touch with the Dutch flag.

It does make me wonder Dan, how old are you to be familiar with these memes?
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 02-26-21, 01:31 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

I certainly appreciate the touch with the Dutch flag.

It does make me wonder Dan, how old are you to be familiar with these memes?
Mid-30's? Old enough to be plenty serious and aware of things, but with a good bit of fun and whimsy around for levity.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 02-26-21, 04:46 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Mid-30's? Old enough to be plenty serious and aware of things, but with a good bit of fun and whimsy around for levity.
Ha! I've been around this subforum for so long that I imagine most people here being well over 50.

Should have realized I wasn't the only 34 year old in here.
Old 02-26-21, 01:15 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Ha! I've been around this subforum for so long that I imagine most people here being well over 50.

Should have realized I wasn't the only 34 year old in here.
Unless I've seen or met in person a member, that's pretty much what I assume as well, and not for no reason. Looks like I have two years on you, but it all averages out, haha.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.