Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for modern fixed suggestions like IRO

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-22, 02:30 PM
aeser
B-Ville Chingaling Hustla

Bikes: IRO Mark V

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to have an IRO Mark V with deep V’s and a Sugino 75 and Phil wood cog and hub but had to sell it years ago and unfortunately it appears IRO is no more and I’m not familiar with the current landscape of street fixies and was wondering if I could procure some suggestions of bikes to check out that might scratch the same itch. Thanks!
Old 05-11-22, 02:55 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
If I was buying today, I'd look at an All City Big Block, or maybe a Thunderdome if I was feelin' all young and racy again.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-11-22, 09:11 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Is steel a requirement? What's the budget? I got my iro cheap, awhile back by just searching for sale sites religiously. I love my Mark V also. It's my "road" fixed gear, lots of miles.

Soma rush is nice. State black label is a solid deal for the price considering kilo is now 5-600. I'm a homer because I own one, but Spicer could probably make you an IRO clone or close if you really want for not too many shillings.

Overall, it'll be hard to find an exact equivalent for IRO today. Reasonably light, well thought out design and priced. Like budget Wabi.

​​​​​​
​​​​
Old 05-13-22, 10:16 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
if i were going to buy a new modern fix/SS, it'd either be an all city big block, or a squid so-ez. however the squid tarkwondo is a little more street based than the so-ez. some of them look so hot.
Old 05-18-22, 02:27 PM
Jheitt

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I just traded a guy I work with a dropper post for his Moose Porter. the bike rides fantastic. flip flop rear, cheap for a complete and always seem to be in stock which is a bonus. CroMo frame and fork. They come with a shallow wheel now I see on the site. mine has a deep wheel.
Old 05-22-22, 07:07 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Jheitt
I just traded a guy I work with a dropper post for his Moose Porter. the bike rides fantastic. flip flop rear, cheap for a complete and always seem to be in stock which is a bonus. CroMo frame and fork. They come with a shallow wheel now I see on the site. mine has a deep wheel.
I looked up the Moose Porter as I had never heard of it. It looks very good and well-equipped at a decent price.
Old 05-22-22, 07:09 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Another one to check out is the Surly Steamroller. Most everyone that has owned one has been complimentary. My favorite is the All City Big Block.
Old 05-23-22, 02:25 PM
Jheitt

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
I looked up the Moose Porter as I had never heard of it. It looks very good and well-equipped at a decent price.
Yeah I had no idea as well.. It's from someone i trust regarding bikes so wasn't worried about the quality, Once i had my hands on it and looked at the price I was pleasantly surprised. Less expensive then a pure fix and in my opinion a much nicer starting point. The stock tires are junk but aside from that I have no complaints.
Likes For Jheitt: