Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1982 Nishiki Cresta

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1982 Nishiki Cresta

Old 06-10-13, 03:08 PM
treal512

Bikes: '89 Miele Azsora, '09 Motobecane 700HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cptsilver
Craig, would you mind sharing more on what you did and used to clean the frameset?
I'd like to know as well. I picked up a bike the other day and was going to make a thread on here asking advice on how to clean it up.
Old 06-10-13, 03:24 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by Saguaro

IMG_4632 by Craig Stoffel, on Flickr
I've been contemplating putting fenders on one of my bikes but could never figure out how to get those nice clean fender lines while still being able to easily remove a flat rear tire on a frame with horizontal dropouts. Is that mounting device in the above picture some sort of retracting plunger that allows the fender to be temporarily pulled out of the way while the tire is changed? I'm baffled by how it could get enough throw to accomplish that.

Brent
Old 06-10-13, 06:43 PM
Saguaro

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cptsilver
Craig, would you mind sharing more on what you did and used to clean the frameset?
The first thing I did was disassemble the bike down to the frame and fork. It then got a wipe down with a soft damp cloth. After the initial cleaning, I applied an automotive paste wax, let it dry, and then buffed it out. The paste wax has mild abrasives that remove the film that builds up over time and obscures the paint finish. In my case, the project went on hold for about three months while I saved up to buy parts. During that three month period, I carefully and repeatedly buffed the frame and fork with a soft cotton cloth. I reapplied the paste wax several times and buffed it out again, by hand. You just have to be persistent and inspect the finish for flaws as you go with a critical eye and in good light.
Old 06-10-13, 07:30 PM
Saguaro

Originally Posted by obrentharris
I've been contemplating putting fenders on one of my bikes but could never figure out how to get those nice clean fender lines while still being able to easily remove a flat rear tire on a frame with horizontal dropouts. Is that mounting device in the above picture some sort of retracting plunger that allows the fender to be temporarily pulled out of the way while the tire is changed? I'm baffled by how it could get enough throw to accomplish that.

Brent
Hi Brent, good question.

That connection is an assembly I put together to attach the fender to the frame consisting of a stainless machine screw, a transition shim (I had two of these that came with the Superbe brakes that I did not use because I modified the brakes to use recessed nuts), a spacer sleeve, a nylon washer, and a leather washer. It is not adjustable.

In order to change the rear tire I have to completely deflate the tire to allow the axle to clear the dropouts (barely).

Installing metal fenders like Honjo's requires patience, perseverance and fearlessness! I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started my fender installation. I like the way they turned out though and have no regrets.
Old 06-11-13, 10:25 PM
jcova58

Bikes: 2014 Surly Ogre (hybrid) utility/tour bike, 2009 Mongoos full suspension mtn bike, 1999 LeMons Buenos Aires road bike, 1982 Nishiki Cresta road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Craig, I never would have thunk it, looking at your finished frame. You did a hell of a nice job to your bike. I agree, the '83 would have been a definite inprovement with the canti brakes and front fork brase-ons.

Tubus has some fork attachments that allow anyone to incorporate a lowrider rack, so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the offer on the paint combinations, I'd like to try them out before I resort to anything else. Do you have a color coded combination that I can pick up at a dealer? Fill me in on some details, I like your idea better than powder coating.

I would like to keep the bike as original as possible with the notable exception of the 700c wheel set and some wider handlebars with a longer stem-quill. I do plan on reusing the same brakes. I cleaned them up and oiled them nicely.
Jesse
Old 06-12-13, 09:11 PM
Saguaro

Hi Jesse,

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been super busy with work lately. The thing about these old finishes I learned is that they are quite durable. Think about what is occluding the original luster as layers of grime that have accumulated over the years that need to be removed. I avoided aggressive chemical cleaners because I wasn't sure what they would do to the finish. I simply used mechanical, manual labor to remove the grime.

The touch-up paint I mixed is totally custom and matched to this paint color. It's a combination of Testors enamel Gloss Black, Gloss Dark Blue and Metallic Silver. It took me three days of trial and error to get it right. I found that I had to do the touch-up outdoors to get the color match right. I have a small amount I can mail to you, but a small amount goes a long ways.

For a longer quill stem I wholeheartedly recommend the Nitto Technomic. For wider handlebars, use Nitto Noodle 42cm.

You can contact me at www.stoffeldesign.com.

-Craig
Old 06-12-13, 10:41 PM
jcova58

Bikes: 2014 Surly Ogre (hybrid) utility/tour bike, 2009 Mongoos full suspension mtn bike, 1999 LeMons Buenos Aires road bike, 1982 Nishiki Cresta road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, I'll be emailing soon. Thanks again, Craig.

Jesse
Old 06-13-13, 08:42 AM
rc211

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You give me hope, I have a Norco Monterey SL exact same color. I am going to go over to the body shop and get the color code/ get a touch up bottle/can made.

I didn't know that kuwahara owned nishiki. I thought it was originally shield then renamed to nishiki, then bought out by norco with norco retaining the nishiki name for their top end bikes. I also have an Apollo bike, same 82-83 range that says the same thing as yours on the frame, "made by kuwahara" and the stays are the same as yours, concave, I thought they were separate companies.

Last edited by rc211; 06-13-13 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-13-13, 09:00 AM
Saguaro

Kawamura Cycle Co. did not own Nishiki. They were two separate companies. Kawamura Cycle Co., based in Kobe, Japan, manufactured bicycles for the Nishiki brand.

Full history here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishiki_(bicycle)
Old 06-27-13, 08:26 AM
jcova58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Craig, I feel like I put you on the spot with the touch-up paint. Don't sweat it, Pac 12 brother. I took my frame to have it powder coated as close to the original color as possible. My frame was too scratched to touch-up, but I appreciate the kind gesture. I'll be hunting down the NOS decals next. When it's done, I'll post some pics.
Old 06-27-13, 09:02 AM
Saguaro

Not at all Jesse, I apologize for the delay. I was hunting down a spare container to split the touch up paint into. It's all good my friend, it sounds like you have it under control. The powder coat should look awesome!

The closest decals I could find are here: https://www.velocals.com/servlet/the-...cal-set/Detail

They are missing the top tube "CRESTA" decal, but the rest of it is there. The color to match my bike would be Silver Metallic 620, Black 12 outline.

You'll want one of these too: https://www.velocals.com/servlet/the-...-tubing/Detail

I can't wait to see the re-finished bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
a20791a139c6ddd9fefaf6_m.JPG (33.0 KB, 1298 views)
File Type: jpg
a207917139f9d2a3b7ad97_m.JPG (36.1 KB, 1288 views)
Old 06-27-13, 10:58 AM
rowebr

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Limited 650B conversion (sold), 1985(?) Guerciotti retro-roadie, 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2012 Specialized Crux, mid 80's Focus MB-400

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice tip on the decals. I was not aware of velocals.com but I just looked and they have exactly what I need to replace the old decals on my Bianchi. Thanks!
Old 06-28-13, 10:30 PM
Saguaro

Originally Posted by overt
Beautiful Cresta! I like what you've done with yours.

Attached is my 1985 example. It was a craigslist find last summer. I use it as a daily commuter. As far as I can tell, it was all original when I got it. I haven't replaced any stock items, besides the regular wear items including tires/tubes/chain/brake pads/saddle/bar tape, but I have added a Tubus rack and fenders. I've had the bottom bracket/hubs/headset all taken apart and greased at my university bike shop (cheaper than the LBS), luckily I haven't had to replace anything costly. When I graduate and get a real job, I'd like to overhaul it similar to yours--new hubs (probably cold set to 135 mm for mountain hubs) and 700c wheels. They really are nice bikes. I'm quite fond of mine and get many compliments on it, as I'm sure you get many compliments on yours, too.
overt,, hang onto your Cresta as long as you can. You have a really nice example and the additions you have made only make it better. It doesn't surprise me you get compliments on your bike, they're well deserved.
Old 12-12-13, 01:09 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts
Nice components and nice rebuild.

Are those the original decals? The headbadge is for the Nishiki 1983 model year.
Old 12-12-13, 03:09 PM
Saguaro

Those are the original decals.

Re: the model year, there is some uncertainty about that. The frame was made in 1982. The serial number is KB108541. The high frame number suggests the frame was made in late 1982, but released as a 1983 model. I've always thought of it as a 1982 for some reason and thought I purchased it in 1982. But the evidence is mounting that I bought it in 1983 instead and that indeed, it is a 1983 Nishiki Cresta.
Old 12-15-13, 04:16 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
I was reading this post and thought I would ask about a 57 cm Nishiki Cresta my brother picked up in Anacortes, Washington, we live in Vancouver, B.C. and went down there since there are not many good touring bikes available here. I will try and post some images and a brief description. It has a medium blue color with a darker blue head tube with gold lining on the lugs, double eyelets front and back, rear rack mounts, three water bottle mounts and canti brakes. The tubing sticker says "Nishiki double butted cro moly tubing" with Tange written underneath. Components are mostly Suntour and the wheels are 27". I will have to look at more details but I would assume 1983 or newer?
Old 12-15-13, 04:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts

IMG_4651 by Craig Stoffel, on Flickr
I know I'm responding to a year old post, but are those brake pad holders on backward?
Old 12-15-13, 05:31 PM
Saguaro

Originally Posted by VintageRide
I was reading this post and thought I would ask about a 57 cm Nishiki Cresta my brother picked up in Anacortes, Washington, we live in Vancouver, B.C. and went down there since there are not many good touring bikes available here. I will try and post some images and a brief description. It has a medium blue color with a darker blue head tube with gold lining on the lugs, double eyelets front and back, rear rack mounts, three water bottle mounts and canti brakes. The tubing sticker says "Nishiki double butted cro moly tubing" with Tange written underneath. Components are mostly Suntour and the wheels are 27". I will have to look at more details but I would assume 1983 or newer?
I believe Nishiki switched the Crestas to canti brakes in 1984, definitely by 1985. If you have the serial number stamped on the BB you can establish the year the frame was made. The Nishiki Serial Number Database has the secret decoder ring
Old 12-15-13, 05:41 PM
Saguaro

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I know I'm responding to a year old post, but are those brake pad holders on backward?
Those are Scott-Mathauser Retro Block Brake Shoes I purchased from Yokozuna. Link here: https://www.yokozunausa.com/screbl.html

They are symmetrical so there is no way to install them backwards. There is a metal tab on both ends of the pad, the pad is not removable. They squealed at first but after toeing them in they were quiet. Great brake shoes, highly recommended.
Attached Images

Last edited by Saguaro; 12-15-13 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-15-13, 10:26 PM
Frenchosa

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nishiki Cresta brings backs a lot of good memories.. I got one for free (or maybe out of my paycheck) when I was a tour guide for kids back in my university days. Loved it. It had cantilever brakes, so it must have been a later model. I brought it to Japan when I was an exchange student and biked everywhere. Saved about 8 dollars a day commuting to school instead of taking a train and bus. I was also able to get transportation fees on the part time jobs that I had there. Saved up and a week after coming home from Japan, I bicycled across America with three Japanese friends.

Unfortunately, my mother threw it away. Miss that bike.
Old 12-16-13, 08:56 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenchosa
Nishiki Cresta brings backs a lot of good memories.. I got one for free (or maybe out of my paycheck) when I was a tour guide for kids back in my university days. Loved it.

Unfortunately, my mother threw it away. Miss that bike.
Nooooooooo!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-13, 09:57 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts
I believe Nishiki switched the Crestas to canti brakes in 1984, definitely by 1985. . . .
Yes, the 1984 Cresta had canti brakes.

FYI. The 1982 Cresta model name on the top tube was in a script font.
Old 02-07-15, 04:52 PM
Saguaro

The Cresta is complete! I was able to score an Acorn Medium Saddlebag last month and replaced the Acorn Tool Roll with it. I think it balances out the bike quite nicely. These photos were taken today on an incredible ride in Phoenix, Arizona. The bike is surprisingly fast. I averaged 17 mph over 26 miles on it today. I ended the ride pace lining with two guys riding CF, taking my pulls at the front, cruising down Cave Creek Road at 22 mph. They were probably thinking "what the heck was that"!

Last edited by Saguaro; 02-11-15 at 12:12 AM.
Likes For Saguaro:
Old 02-10-15, 09:04 PM
hillikus

Bikes: 09 Motobecane Fantom CX, Trek YSL-CC, 05-Giant STP2, 73 Schwinn World Voyageur, 73 Raleigh Super Course, 73 Raleigh Sports(his and hers), 1984 Trek 520

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been eyeing up a rough original basement find 84 Trek 520 to use as a touring/commuting rig and today I stumbled upon the exact same bike as yours. After looking through this thread now I'm stuck as to what to get, except the dude with the 520 seems to have disappeared and after this thread I'm really starting to like the Cresta in blue with some nice looking lugs! I may have to go look at that Cresta now and hope it fits as well as it looks like it may. The shop that has it did a quick tune up on it and got it rideable using mostly original components, replacing consumables. Bah for being an adult and having to make these adult decisions!
Old 02-10-15, 09:32 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by More Cowbell
Nice build. I restored mine a couple of years ago. I need to get the proper decals on it though.

Wow that's really nice too. It almost has a Military Messenger look going for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.