Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 08:57 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Two dog walkers int he middle with extra long leashes.

The Jones Beach boardwalk was almost shoulder to shoulder. IT was so crowded that I decided to sit somewhere else while having a snack.

I stayed off the BP trail after seeing how crowded it was yesterday. It's safer on the streets.
I did the Jones Beach boardwalk once and haven't been back since.

Back to Cedar Creek today with 4 younger kids from the Star Track group that trains and rides at Kissena along with another parent. More of a relaxed ride day and we did 12 miles. Hope tomorrow to take the two older ones out for a MTB ride, CLIMB has/had? a race this Thurs night and my middle kid wants to do it so we were thinking of hitting the trail to see if he's up for it. They claim any age can race but at 7 he might be pushing the limit. He does race at Shoreham and loves to ride Cunningham so I think he has what it takes.
Old 03-15-20, 09:00 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I did the Jones Beach boardwalk once and haven't been back since.

Back to Cedar Creek today with 4 younger kids from the Star Track group that trains and rides at Kissena along with another parent. More of a relaxed ride day and we did 12 miles. Hope tomorrow to take the two older ones out for a MTB ride, CLIMB has/had? a race this Thurs night and my middle kid wants to do it so we were thinking of hitting the trail to see if he's up for it. They claim any age can race but at 7 he might be pushing the limit. He does race at Shoreham and loves to ride Cunningham so I think he has what it takes.
I was the guy you were talking to at Cedar creek by the statue.
Old 03-15-20, 09:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

I was the guy you were talking to at Cedar creek by the statue.
You the guy with the cannondale that was taking a break?
I had the white carbon road bike wearing cargo shorts
Old 03-16-20, 06:09 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

You the guy with the cannondale that was taking a break?
I had the white carbon road bike wearing cargo shorts
That was me.

Old 03-16-20, 06:25 PM
Russ Roth

Did the full length of Meadowlark with the two older kids, if they could learn to shift we'd have done a little less walking but any decent uphill was a challenge. Downhills were of course easy.

Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-16-20, 07:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
Did the full length of Meadowlark with the two older kids, if they could learn to shift we'd have done a little less walking but any decent uphill was a challenge. Downhills were of course easy.

What a great photo.
Old 03-17-20, 04:18 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Did some cross training since it was wet. Did a 7 mile walk in 2 hours.

At this rate i'll either be in great shape or dead when this is over.

Tomorrow is a ride day.. get out.
Old 03-18-20, 07:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Another good ride, but i have to remember to not ride the Massapequa Preserve... too crowded.
Old 03-21-20, 07:23 PM
Russ Roth

Headed out to Long Beach to ride into the Rockaways and was getting on the bike when I realized I didn't bring my shoes. Result was only going for a 15 mile ride.
After lunch I went out with the whole family to hit cedar creek for another 10 miles and we went in style

Old 03-22-20, 07:11 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Rode to Cold Spring Harbor and on the way back took a break in Plainview. I was talking to another rider and he was looking for a way to avoid the Bethpage MUP due to crowding. I told him he can ride with me back on the streets through Farmingdale. Found out he lives near me, we do the same work and his wife knows mine.. .small world.

Nice meeting you Craig.

Last edited by GlennR; 03-22-20 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-22-20, 08:57 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Headed out to Long Beach to ride into the Rockaways and was getting on the bike when I realized I didn't bring my shoes. Result was only going for a 15 mile ride.
After lunch I went out with the whole family to hit cedar creek for another 10 miles and we went in style

Russ, you should know I saw a family on the same such arrangement many years, ago doing the NYC Century, or part of at least. Dad was disassembling the rig in order to go up the steps on the Triborough bridge on the Queens side. This was at the 75 mile point (for me). I don’t know what distance they had done, but a lot of work detaching and reattaching twice. Impressive to think how far they’d ridden.
Old 03-24-20, 03:13 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Made the town webpage.

Here's my original
Old 03-24-20, 08:22 PM
Steve B.

One of our local members, Kaos Joe is a nurse (I’m pretty sure). The fact that he hasn’t posted in a bit leads me to believe he might be out there in the trenches of this crises.

If that’s the case just a note that we hope all is well, that you stay well and healthy, a thanks in advance and a hope you can get some relief on a ride here and there.
Old 03-24-20, 10:37 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
One of our local members, Kaos Joe is a nurse (I’m pretty sure). The fact that he hasn’t posted in a bit leads me to believe he might be out there in the trenches of this crises. If that’s the case just a note that we hope all is well, that you stay well and healthy, a thanks in advance and a hope you can get some relief on a ride here and there.
Steve, your thoughts are much appreciated. I'm OK and yes, still getting out here and there. A short 23 miler today. The tandems are up from the basement too. Always a welcome sign of spring. I'm supposed to be off this weekend, but who knows from day to day.

I'm not a nurse but am a respiratory therapist, which involves a lot of time in the critical care areas, dealing with mechanical ventilators and other such things much in the news these days. So yes I'm up to my N95 in this, and am working OT tonight, as 2 of my compatriots here are already down, but thankfully they are not seriously ill. All of us here are used to mentally dealing with the risks we know we run but are all worried about posing a risk to our families. I'm seriously considering putting up my big old canvas tent and moving to the yard for a while. At least grizzlies would not be a concern for a change.

We've been war-gaming scenarios in our heads here regarding the much feared ventilator crunch, and have worked out some tricks up our sleeves that were unthinkable not too long ago. So far, to use your trench analogy, we are holding the lines.

Currently taking a break so what do I do but check out the forums........but time to head back in. You should see my helmet. A Giro it ain't.

Again, thanks for your thoughts & see you out there.

Last edited by kaos joe; 03-24-20 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-25-20, 07:22 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Joe... thanks for being you.
Old 03-25-20, 07:40 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Thank you both, gentlemen. Now going to bed. But first, here's an insider tip on the most popular helmet for 2020.

Old 03-25-20, 09:15 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Thank you both, gentlemen. Now going to bed. But first, here's an insider tip on the most popular helmet for 2020.

I was using this
Old 03-25-20, 09:26 AM
Russ Roth

Made the town webpage.

Here's my original
I don't think I've seen real snow since moving down here, the snow shoes are dry rotting in the shop with no use. When was the pic?
Funny thing with snow was that where I lived off Lake Ontario we had green grass year round in the yard with just small ribbons of hard packed drifted snow and never had to clear the roof due to the constant wind. But if I tried to step into the woods I owned the snow could be 4' deep by march just a foot inside the tree line.
Old 03-25-20, 02:30 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

I don't think I've seen real snow since moving down here, the snow shoes are dry rotting in the shop with no use. When was the pic?
Funny thing with snow was that where I lived off Lake Ontario we had green grass year round in the yard with just small ribbons of hard packed drifted snow and never had to clear the roof due to the constant wind. But if I tried to step into the woods I owned the snow could be 4' deep by march just a foot inside the tree line.
2015 if i remember.

That's my son's bike and the year after I bought my Cannondale CX since his was too large. He's 6'4" and i'm 5'10".
Old 03-25-20, 06:59 PM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Steve, your thoughts are much appreciated. I'm OK and yes, still getting out here and there. A short 23 miler today. The tandems are up from the basement too. Always a welcome sign of spring. I'm supposed to be off this weekend, but who knows from day to day.

I'm not a nurse but am a respiratory therapist, which involves a lot of time in the critical care areas, dealing with mechanical ventilators and other such things much in the news these days. So yes I'm up to my N95 in this, and am working OT tonight, as 2 of my compatriots here are already down, but thankfully they are not seriously ill. All of us here are used to mentally dealing with the risks we know we run but are all worried about posing a risk to our families. I'm seriously considering putting up my big old canvas tent and moving to the yard for a while. At least grizzlies would not be a concern for a change.

We've been war-gaming scenarios in our heads here regarding the much feared ventilator crunch, and have worked out some tricks up our sleeves that were unthinkable not too long ago. So far, to use your trench analogy, we are holding the lines.

Currently taking a break so what do I do but check out the forums........but time to head back in. You should see my helmet. A Giro it ain't.

Again, thanks for your thoughts & see you out there.
I haven’t posted in a long time, haven’t rode much this yr for a myriad of reasons, though I have been reading the posts. Kaos Joe, thank you for your efforts during this medical crisis. May you stay well and healthy.
Likes For justtrying:
Old 03-26-20, 09:08 AM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Cyclist on Ocean Parkaway

I was driving west on Ocean Parkway this morning by Gilgo Beach where they are in the process of extending the pathway. What do I see on a practically non existent shoulder going E/B, a solo cyclist! Nice morning for a ride but a bit foolhardy I would say with the traffic coming right next to you.
Old 03-26-20, 09:25 PM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by justtrying
I was driving west on Ocean Parkway this morning by Gilgo Beach where they are in the process of extending the pathway. What do I see on a practically non existent shoulder going E/B, a solo cyclist! Nice morning for a ride but a bit foolhardy I would say with the traffic coming right next to you.
Wouldn't think that was even legal. I've been wishing they'd put something along the parkway to go from Long Beach to Jones Beach, that would make for a nice ride.

Hit up the woods in Bethpage with the kids, wanted to ride something a little more technical but can't go too extreme while pulling the trail-a-bike. The Blue path from the parking lot had signs saying it was closed so we rode the yellow trail from the parking lot all the way to the road crossing at the north end of the park, realized that I've never ridden the length of it before. We then took the path back south till we got to the orange trail and rode that all the way back to the parking lot. Was amazed at how many people were wandering the trails; the path was well populated though I've seen worse this year when it was just a nice day before the pandemic. But we must have come upon 5 familes out hiking the trails.
Old 03-26-20, 11:03 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by justtrying
..... Kaos Joe, thank you for your efforts during this medical crisis. May you stay well and healthy.

Thank you very much. But, I fear I've been exposed.........

Joking aside, although there seems to be a momentary lull in the action past half hour, I've never seen anything like this in 37 years working.
Old 03-26-20, 11:06 PM
kaos joe

OK, to make up for that last pic, here's some nice ones from today.

Huntington Harbor NY

How many stamps for a scroll of papyrus?
Old 03-27-20, 03:32 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Wouldn't think that was even legal.
It's not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.