Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Does an MTB helmet need to be an MTB helmet?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-23, 02:25 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts

Or will just any cycling helmet do?

Last edited by sjanzeir; 02-15-23 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-15-23, 07:21 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Title fixed

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-15-23, 07:39 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
It seems MTB helmets offer slightly better crash protection and visors made for more upright riding.
https://suspensiontraveler.com/diffe...d-mtb-helmets/
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-15-23, 09:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Depends on if you ride your mountain bike in the most extreme manner and conditions that some do. But even they have a choice and free will to make their own decision about it.

Except maybe for those that are entering certain sanctioned competitions that might specify acceptable standards for helmets and such.
Old 02-23-23, 09:10 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I'm not an expert but from what I've read they are not the same; however, I somewhat agree with a previous post that if one isn't riding "aggressively" then a regular road helmet will work. Yes that is true but what if one falls badly when not riding aggressively? Wouldn't we want the added protection? As the post stated, and I also agree, that's a personal choice.

The way it was explained to me is that a road helmet is purpose-built for road use. It is well ventilated and provides general top and sides of head protection. A MTB helmet has more protection on the back (extends lower) and more protection on the sides (also sometimes extends lower a bit) than a road helmet, and, they generally add a visor which in practical terms doesn't really add any safety feature that I can identify.

Over-all a MTB helmet is generally heavier and affords more comprehensive protection all around the head than a road helmet. I have both and I don't like riding on the road with my MTB helmet because the visor obstructs my vision...and it's heavier with less ventilation.
Old 02-23-23, 11:00 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
It seems MTB helmets offer slightly better crash protection and visors made for more upright riding.
https://suspensiontraveler.com/diffe...d-mtb-helmets/
so does it follow that an Ecycle rider need an Ecycle helmet or will a MTB helmet be 0k for a soft headed Ecycler
Old 02-23-23, 11:09 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,083 Times in 3,824 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I'm not an expert but from what I've read they are not the same; however, I somewhat agree with a previous post that if one isn't riding "aggressively" then a regular road helmet will work. Yes that is true but what if one falls badly when not riding aggressively? Wouldn't we want the added protection? As the post stated, and I also agree, that's a personal choice.

The way it was explained to me is that a road helmet is purpose-built for road use. It is well ventilated and provides general top and sides of head protection. A MTB helmet has more protection on the back (extends lower) and more protection on the sides (also sometimes extends lower a bit) than a road helmet, and, they generally add a visor which in practical terms doesn't really add any safety feature that I can identify.

Over-all a MTB helmet is generally heavier and affords more comprehensive protection all around the head than a road helmet. I have both and I don't like riding on the road with my MTB helmet because the visor obstructs my vision...and it's heavier with less ventilation.
What do you consider riding "aggressively"?

I would consider my personal riding style to be much more XC than DH or Enduro. As such, light weight and good ventilation are important to me. My choice when I ride my MTB is a road helmet, same as it is for top XC racers.
Old 02-23-23, 12:30 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
I have no idea...Psss...Don't tell anyone....but I don't wear a helmet, so I'm clueless on this topic
Old 03-04-23, 06:15 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
so does it follow that an Ecycle rider need an Ecycle helmet or will a MTB helmet be 0k for a soft headed Ecycler
Sounds like great marketing... offer a line of road helmets, mountain helmets, gravel helmets, cyclocross helmets, ebike helmets, velodrome helmets, etc.

My understanding is that mtb helmets have visors in front and more coverage in back because falling back is more common. Road helmets don't have visors in front because they block vision when riding in an aero tuck... though this isn't really a problem for many recreational riders.
Old 03-04-23, 07:46 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I don't like having a lot of weight on my head and use a lightweight road helmet for MTB. A lot of XC riders do the same. The dedicated MTB helmet I used to wear did offer more protection toward the back of my skull, but that sucker weighed over a pound and was a pain in the neck - literally.

Last edited by wayold; 03-04-23 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-04-23, 07:58 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Gravel riders are required to carry two helmets and switch when the surface changes
Likes For UniChris:
Old 03-05-23, 06:54 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Unless we’re talking a full face helmet for downhill mountain biking, the helmets marketed as Mtb helmets add a visor which may or may not work for you.

absolutely unnecessary to buy a different helmet for cross country mtb versus road riding
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-07-23, 02:56 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Kananaskis Wolf
Nope. Most mountain bikers I've seen wear a regular bike helmet. If they are wearing a full face helmet, they are going to/coming from, a bike park or downhill trail.
There are open face helmets made for MTB. They usually have a little more protection at the back of the head and a visor.