Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Moving. Boxes vs Blankets?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-23, 01:02 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts

I’m fixing to sell my house . A moving company will pick everything up and store it for about 4 months, at that point I hope to have purchased a place near where I’m currently renting.

So would it be better to box the bikes up or let them wrap them in bubbles or whatever they do. Both are of the irreplaceable vintage type. Gleaming paint, no scratches. Stuff I won’t be riding any time soon but not something I want messed up.
Old 03-28-23, 01:31 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,210 Posts
I'd say it depends on who's packing the bikes. Bike shop? Box should be fine, they should know how to pack the bike, with appropriate padding, so nothing gets scratched. Moving company? Pay for a roll of bubble wrap per bike. Bikes aren't something movers normally pack, so it's a crap shoot as to whether or not it ends up well packed.
Old 03-28-23, 01:40 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3671 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,756 Posts
IME, anything movers store is subject to damage. Isn't there a friend or relative who could keep them for a few weeks?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-28-23, 01:57 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
If they're my size, I'll look after them for you.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 03-28-23, 03:28 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Why not just keep them in your rental?
Old 03-28-23, 04:32 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Camilo
Why not just keep them in your rental?
My modern gravel and mountain bike are at my rental. I’m at my house packing to live there, 1200 miles away. In my garage I have a 2001 Tallerico and a mint 1985 Spectrum. Not really the top of the food chain anymore but I’ll never sell them.

I may box them up and mail them to myself.

I worry. About all of this really.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-28-23, 05:19 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
If you want the job done right....
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-28-23, 07:29 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
IME, anything movers store is subject to damage. Isn't there a friend or relative who could keep them for a few weeks?
Make sure you document what's being packed and stored. Friend of mine did something similar, had moving company pack everything in his house and stored it for six months. When the shipment was finally delivered to his new house, all the good stuff (an extensive tool collection) never made it. I don't remember the details, but since there was a long time between packing and unpacking and I think the storage place was separate from the moving company (a lot of finger pointing), he lost with no recourse.
Old 03-28-23, 07:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Boxes, for sure. Especially at this time of year, bike shops will have plenty of them to give you, complete with the packing materials. (New bikes come with round cushiony material around frame tubes -- looks a bit like pipe insulation.) Remove pedals and front wheels, loosen stems and turn handlebars sideways. and -- if a bike doesn't fit snuggly in a box -- punch holes in the sides of the box and run long zip ties to hold the bike in place so that it doesn't bounce around while being moved.
Old 03-28-23, 08:03 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Seriously, for the vintage bikes--I'd buy lumber and plywood and build solid crates for them, thoroughly cushioned inside.
Old 03-28-23, 09:03 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I’m fixing to sell my house . A moving company will pick everything up and store it for about 4 months, at that point I hope to have purchased a place near where I’m currently renting.

So would it be better to box the bikes up or let them wrap them in bubbles or whatever they do. Both are of the irreplaceable vintage type. Gleaming paint, no scratches. Stuff I won’t be riding any time soon but not something I want messed up.
Those bikes would stay with me. I can't tell you how much stuff I had stolen from moving companies or storage when I was in the service. Especially if they are irreplaceable.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-29-23, 07:25 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
You can avoid scratches to the frame by wrapping frame parts with foam pipe insulation. It's cheap, lightweight, and effective if you tape the pipe insulation closed around the frame. You might ask a bike shop to save you the plastic protective pieces that may come with bikes shipped from the factory. One example is a circular piece that attaches to the end of the axles and spread the pressure out over a few inches so the axle or QR end doesn't penetrate the box.
Old 03-29-23, 02:37 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Don't trust moving company

On one of my many moves I was assured that my bikes would be bubble wrapped and packed in a small mattress box. To my horror when moving van arrived and I looked inside when they opened doors my bikes were not wrapped or boxed but simply thrown on top of the load. When I asked the driver he said they never wrap or box "toys." Luckily they survived unscathed. Moral of this experience I never let a moving company handle my bikes again. Always found a way to transport them myself
Likes For Pridedog:
Old 03-29-23, 03:47 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
VegasTriker's suggestion about buying the inexpensive 6 foot lengths of foam pipe insulation from LOWES/HOME DEPOT in order to protect the bike's paint and frame tubing is a great suggestion. You can then also use those inexpensive and very common swimming pool noodles that you'll see everywhere from May thru August in discount stores like Dollar General, Family Dollar, Wal-mart, Target, Ace Hardware, and even LIDL's , Kroger, Publix, and Walgreens.

If it is a prized possession, you will want to "mummy-fi" and wrap it up completely with taped up foam pipe insulation & swimmy noodles.
You wanna wrap it up like King Tut.
Remember what Sam & Dave, and also The Fabulous Thunderbirds sang: "Wrap, wrap wrap it up......" - before the maniac mover-destroyers take it.
Another advantage of wrap, wrap rap pin it up is that the very unskilled, low hourly wage earners of the movers' crew and warehouse cannot immediately visually determine that said bicycle can be immediately sold for quick cash to obtain drugs to fuel their habit or to obtain a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 to keep them in their usual alcoholic haze.
Yeah, Bubba on the mover's crew or as part of the warehouse team will undoubtedly know that it is a bicycle that someone values since it is all taped wrapped with pipe insulation/noodles, but Bubba isn't likely gonna take the 43 minutes that it might take him to unwrap/unmummy-fi it. Just too much wrapping stuff to dispose of and just too many minutes of working to get it unwrapped and then stealthy sneaking it into his Ford Econoline van or into his Ford F150 pickup truck covering it with a ratty blanket. Somebody might see Bubba doing that, and though Bubba knows where to walk there--park there at work , to elude the range of what the security cameras
capture, he knows that most of the others there working at the warehouse are uncool who frown upon and will report, prosecute and fire any employees who are caught stealing.
Old 03-29-23, 06:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
VegasTriker's suggestion about buying the inexpensive 6 foot lengths of foam pipe insulation from LOWES/HOME DEPOT in order to protect the bike's paint and frame tubing is a great suggestion. You can then also use those inexpensive and very common swimming pool noodles that you'll see everywhere from May thru August in discount stores like Dollar General, Family Dollar, Wal-mart, Target, Ace Hardware, and even LIDL's , Kroger, Publix, and Walgreens.

If it is a prized possession, you will want to "mummy-fi" and wrap it up completely with taped up foam pipe insulation & swimmy noodles.
You wanna wrap it up like King Tut.
Remember what Sam & Dave, and also The Fabulous Thunderbirds sang: "Wrap, wrap wrap it up......" - before the maniac mover-destroyers take it.
Another advantage of wrap, wrap rap pin it up is that the very unskilled, low hourly wage earners of the movers' crew and warehouse cannot immediately visually determine that said bicycle can be immediately sold for quick cash to obtain drugs to fuel their habit or to obtain a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 to keep them in their usual alcoholic haze.
Yeah, Bubba on the mover's crew or as part of the warehouse team will undoubtedly know that it is a bicycle that someone values since it is all taped wrapped with pipe insulation/noodles, but Bubba isn't likely gonna take the 43 minutes that it might take him to unwrap/unmummy-fi it. Just too much wrapping stuff to dispose of and just too many minutes of working to get it unwrapped and then stealthy sneaking it into his Ford Econoline van or into his Ford F150 pickup truck covering it with a ratty blanket. Somebody might see Bubba doing that, and though Bubba knows where to walk there--park there at work , to elude the range of what the security cameras
capture, he knows that most of the others there working at the warehouse are uncool who frown upon and will report, prosecute and fire any employees who are caught stealing.
Excellent point.
Old 03-29-23, 09:48 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

The plan is evolving. Turns out my vehicle can tow the uhaul big boy.

That and every moving company we spoke to seems to think all the other ones are fraudulent. They all have a bad rating with the BBB. The entire industry seems to be soundly hated. Makes the insane rant above sound well reasoned.

So we’re going to shove it all into a trailer, drive it over, and store it while we house hunt for the next few months. I’ll bubble wrap the bikes and they’ll get a nice safe spot in the trailer. I’ll apply the appropriate padding to keep them intact even if it’s an emergency stop.

The bikes are steel and not fragile. It’s the cosmetics I want to protect.
Old 03-30-23, 06:27 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

They all have a bad rating with the BBB. The entire industry seems to be soundly hated. Makes the insane rant above sound well reasoned..
I'm old enough to have used movers several times before they were deregulated. It's not surprising the consumer experience has since deteriorated.
Old 03-30-23, 07:17 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Have a bike shop box them up and send them, not the moving company. Moving companies are known for breaking stuff.
Old 03-30-23, 07:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
[QUOTE=rosefarts;22844789]TThat and every moving company we spoke to seems to think all the other ones are fraudulent. They all have a bad rating with the BBB. The entire industry seems to be soundly hated.

My n=2, but both experiences were negative.

Driving your own rig is a pain, but it's the only way to control the safety of your possessions and the arrival date.
Old 03-30-23, 08:34 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
I’m fixing...
Something here tells me you live in the south.
Old 03-30-23, 12:48 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
If it were me I would keep the bikes at my rented place and move them myself in my car when I was moving to the new house. I do this with lamps as well as it is safer and no big deal to transport them in a car, even if you need to rent something.
Old 03-30-23, 12:56 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by prj71
Something here tells me you live in the south.
I reckon that you’re off by a couple thousand miles.
Old 04-29-23, 02:37 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
lol bro
Old 04-29-23, 04:20 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 274 Posts
This is why I never trust movers for anything other than Ikea furniture

Paying movers to pack and pickup items sounds expensive.

Wouldn't it be drastically less for a self-storage locker rental filled with vertical bicycle nook stands?

This would allow me to move and store my bikes without any disassembly.

It also gives me flexibility in going back and forth to the rental locker anytime to add/remove/sell things.

This is why I never trust movers for anything other than Ikea furniture:

Ask them in advance, what are the procedures for property damage or loss? Know your course of action to deal with this before hiring them, not figure out how to long after it happens.

Almost always, they will just blame you that it was already damaged like that. In the event of a loss, they deny ever having the item.

They will tell you to settle it with your homeowners insurance. Your insurance will deny claims and say to sue them instead. In the event you do have proper insurance, do you really want to go thru with it? I don't buy home insurance with hope that I'll score from a fire.

Movers are in this business for good profit and will work even harder to stop you from dipping into their sauce. They won't pay a dime for anything unless they are forced to by powers more powerful than they are.

Movers have been gaming customers for decades and know exactly what they can get away with. You don't.

I am so happy this isn't me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shady_movers.jpg (95.1 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-12-23, 08:30 AM
lex further

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I would use a babble wrap and then a storage place near by. This source has detailed reviews of security public storage, which i used couple of times already and don't have anything bad to say about them : prices are pretty average and the service is always friendly and fast ( at least the one i used). Professional movers can turn our not very professional and destroy things you like.

Last edited by lex further; 05-16-23 at 02:22 PM.