Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

An Aspirin a Day (Acetylsalicylic Acid)?

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 05-21-22, 05:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts

@ahsposo posted this article in the Politics section, but it seemed appropriate here.

A Daily Aspirin Regimen May Hurt More Than Help, Experts Warn

Millions of Americans take aspirin to prevent a first heart attack or stroke. Now, doctors are advising against it — especially for people over 70.

The article relates to this meta study:
https://www.uspreventiveservicestask...ive-medication

https://www.uspreventiveservicestask...ive-medication

They determine that the risks of internal bleeding including GI bleeding (and cerebral bleeding) outweigh prophylactic benefit of preventing heart attacks and occlusive stroke. At least in those patients that don't have elevated heart attack risk.

I see a couple of notes about Helicobacter Pylori, but being a meta study, it would take reading each reference paper to see how they controlled for it. Perhaps taking an H. Pylori test before beginning Aspirin treatment would be indicated with or without symptoms.

Anyway, for those either currently on prophylactic Aspirin, or considering starting, it would be worth consulting one's doctor about current research, and how it applies to the person's individual health conditions. Give the doctor a few day's warning.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-21-22, 06:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Right. My last visit to a cardiologist, he ran my numbers on his phone and prescribed the 81mg aspirin. I took it for a couple weeks, finally did a little investigating and stopped taking it IIRC, I read a paper on JAMA, but not exactly what is linked in your post. I ride a bike, not a couch. Makes a difference. A riding buddy had a MUP accident at maybe 58, hit his head, cerebral hemorrhage, had to stay off his bike for a long time and of course stopped the aspirin he had been taking. Neither of us had an elevated risk of heart attack. I am continually surprised by doctors who do not keep up with the literature.
Old 05-21-22, 07:12 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6755 Post(s)
Liked 5,462 Times in 3,213 Posts
Two reasons I posted that headline.

I bleed when I ingest aspirin, started a LONG time ago when the medicos treated an inflammation (probably an auto-immune response I had triggered by a staph infection) that was crippling me with 15 aspirins a day. I suffered heavy salivation and acute tinnitus before I developed alimentary canal ulcers that damn near bled me out before they stopped the goddam aspirins. Personal anti-aspirin vendetta...

And the medicos, for all their swaggering confidence, again are starting to circle back around something that 20 years ago was THE medical fad. Reminds me of the doctors in Sleeper

Likes For ahsposo:
Old 05-21-22, 08:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
It is a problem with modern medicine that they absolutely have to look at long term all cause morbidity/mortality when prescribing something long term.

I've never had any reactions to Aspirin, but I might just take about 3 or 4 tabs loading dose, and a couple more after that, once every 6 months.

Also keep in mind that Tylenol has low morbidity/mortality when used occasionally, but it also is a drug that I'd beware of taking chronic high doses as it can impact the liver. Especially high dose Tylenol plus high dose Alcohol.
Old 05-21-22, 10:15 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
I am sure there is a Medical journal out there that has a study that shows I should absolutely not ride a bicycle. But I do. And I take my NSAID once a day during a meal...

As a health care provider I often recommend a daily low dose NSAID during a meal. If its Baby Aspirin so be it. But I am selective in those I make the recommendation to. I take in the patients history, current condition, prescribed medications, life style, over all health, and much more. Do not overlook the fact that a Baby Aspirin can be a life saver...
Old 05-24-22, 08:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
maybe green leafy vegetables instead?

I remember my F-I-L had 2 heart y passes, 1 at age 50, a double then later (age?) a quadruple. his medication, a blood thinner (name ?) required him to stay away from green leafy vegetables
Old 09-08-22, 09:22 AM
GordonP

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Norco Rampage, Bontrager Privateer S, Motobecane Super Touring, Rocky Mountain Hammer Frankenbike, Marinoni Turismo Extream, Marinoni Special, Tern Link 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
I recently asked my GP if I should stop taking my 81 mg Aspirin and he told me NO! He reasoned that since I already had one heart attack taking Aspirin may prevent another.
Old 09-08-22, 09:43 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Two decades ago, my family doctor had me on a baby aspirin but stopped it maybe a decade ago, saying the facts changed.

Chronic NSAID raises my blood pressure rather significantly. Several Docs have told me not to take Ibuprofin saying they are evil. So, I just stick with tylenol with codeine when significant pain relief is needed. Acetaminophen does very little for pain in my experience. I've never heard of it being used preventatively for heart
Old 09-08-22, 12:25 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
I'm a cardiac patient*, so I'll be on baby aspirin for the rest of my life (hopefully a long time!). IIRC those meta-studies concluded the benefits of a daily aspirin are outweighed by the side effects for people who've not had a heart attack, so they don't apply to me. I have my aspirin with food to further buffer the negative effects.

*Sometimes I feel like one of those people in the TV ads: "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!" Except that this is a virtual hole: having had a heart attack, I'll be a cardiac patient as long as I'm around. Shrug: still being here (even as a cardiac patient) beats the alternative!
Old 09-12-22, 06:19 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
My doc took me off the 82 mg of aspirin a day after my last check up. New studies called for an updated treatment plan.
Old 09-12-22, 04:20 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
I'm on blood thinners and I work out. I rarely take aspirin or any other OTC pain medication for anything, and my doctor said regular strength is OK for short-term situation (1-2 days).
Old 09-14-22, 04:46 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 2,112 Posts
So, for those of you who stopped taking low dose aspirin by your docs, did you have to wean off? As a long time low dose users with no heart problems, I've always heard/read that there are risks to stopping suddenly.

Old 09-14-22, 08:32 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
So, for those of you who stopped taking low dose aspirin by your docs, did you have to wean off? As a long time low dose users with no heart problems, I've always heard/read that there are risks to stopping suddenly.
I just stopped cold turkey, it was nice to no longer bleed like a stuck pig after every little nick and scrape.