Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New bike - Surly Straggler v Kona Rove DL

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 03-29-23, 10:41 AM
kidadam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

I'm picking up a new bike this year and I narrowed it down to:

Surly Straggler 700c https://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler
Kona Rove DL 650b https://www.konaworld.com/rove_dl.cfm

Both are the same price from my dealer. I was really leaning Surly (haven't actually rode it) but it turns out it's on back order until end of August. The Kona is in stock.

Mostly gravel roads and trails plus commute.

What do you choose and why?
Old 03-29-23, 09:03 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Kona! You can ride it now, and the Surly is kind of... well... boring; and with BB7 cable brake calipers on the Surly at that price? It is like ignoring 15 years of technology advancement; that is just a rip-off.

But at that price, the Jamis Steel Renegade S3 blows them both away with GRX components (with Shimano GRX full hydraulics!), high quality Reynolds steel frame and a very nice carbon fork instead of a steel one that would quickly beat you to regrets. Renegade® - Jamis® Bikes (jamisbikes.com)

Or as another alternative the VAAST A/1 at about the same price is worth consideration as well. GRX components like the Jamis but with a Magnesium frame that rides almost like carbon. Magnesium is 1/3 lighter than aluminum, 2x stronger than Titanium and 20x more dampening than steel which makes it fantastic for gravel. I rode a VAAST A/1 for half the summer last year and I found it to be the absolute best gravel bike for under $2,000. I have owner a steel Renegade for a while too and loved it as well but I found the VAAST is 'vastly' more comfortable for gravel. A/1 | allroad bicycles | vaast bikes

Last edited by dwmckee; 03-29-23 at 09:57 PM.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 03-29-23, 09:31 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Whichever one is lighter. If it were me I'd go for the Kona because I think compact geometry looks better for anything off-road.