Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sekine world's finest bicycle?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sekine world's finest bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-04, 09:39 PM
MKRG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Sekine that I picked up at a Goodwill. It does not say "World's Finest Bicycle" It does have the "diamond" headbadge and the derailler (at least the rear was a Suntour Cyclone MkII Dia Compe Center pull brakes Sunshine hubs (I think) Can you Identify this bike from what I have said so far? What kind of tubing and place in the line up? I can get more details if necessary, right now I'm at work.
Old 11-23-04, 11:32 PM
Sandy Eggo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can we post pictures here? I can show you what the Plant looked like, and a picture of the badge. I think I still remember most old the model numbers.
SHS-270 (Chrome front forks half way up)
SHC-270 (most popular bike sold)
SHL-270 (ladies model)
There was about 7 models and each one of them had about 5 different colours and sizes were 21, 23, 25 and there was a 20 inch in one model. They were situated in 6 Hangar at the old Canadian Forces Air base in Rivers, MB. It closed in 1972 and was turned into a training center for Native Peoples. The two Japanese salesmen that came over wanted "English" first names, so we helped them out. (God's truth).... with our help they changed their first names to Mike and Fred, Mike Kamanishizono and Fred Shida.
I have pictures of the Line the bikes were made on. The most that were produced in a single day was around 400 units. Ask away, I'll answer what I can.
Old 11-24-04, 02:28 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Sure, you can post pictures. When you reply, click on the yellow icon that has the mountain and the sun. You can post images up to 100kb - or you can insert a link to your pictures.

I'd never heard of Sekine before reading this thread, but you have me very interested in seeing what these bicycles look like. I'm a sucker for older bicycles (which I guess is the point of the board), so I enjoy reading about the history too. Nothing beats first-hand information, so I guess you're obligated now.
Old 11-24-04, 08:54 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Sandy, I worked in a LBS that carried Sekine and recall things a bit differently. Perhaps you can straighten me out.

First, the plant opened in June 1973. it was located at Oo-za-we-Kwun near Rivers, Manitoba and was located there as an incentive for the native people. I don't know when the factory closed, but have been trying to find this out. I've assumed this was the early '80s after the tariffs dropped, as this was about the same time Shields and CCM went bankrupt. I have found Cnadian manufactured Sekine with component date codes in the late '70s.

The Sekine paint was electrostatically applied. Other colours included red (most popular), forest green, olive green (least popular) and white. The red and forest green had great depth and wetness to the appearance, almost appearing to be a "candy apple" finish. There were additional colours options on some of the Japanese manufactured frames, notably a beautiful royal blue.

The major characteristics of the models I recall are the:

SHA: Steel, cottered crankset. Cherry, steel, centre-pull brakes. Steel, small flange hubs. Shimano Lark/Eagle derailleurs. Stamped dropouts.

SHB: SR cotterless, swaged, aluminum crankset.Shimano Tourney centre-pull brakes. Shimano Tourney large flange hubs with wing nuts (later with quick relaese). Shimano Lark or Eagle derailleurs. Chromed fork tips. Stamped dropouts. Made in Japan.

SHC: same as SHB but made in Canada. Less colour options tham SHB. The SHB/C were the biggest seller, as you state.

SHT: SR aluminum, forged, cotterless crankset. Shimano Dura-Ace centre-pull brakes. Shimano Titlist derailleurs. Shimano Tourney, large flange hubs with quick release. Chromed fork and stay ends. Forged dropouts.

SHX: Full Shimano Dura-Ace group (with Crane rear derailleur). Chrome dropout flats and head lugs. Forged dropouts. No doubt about this model, as I own one!

There was a ladies model, but we did not carry it, so it does not stick out in my mind. I assume it was equivalent ot the SHA or SHB/C. I vaguely recall the SHS, but have no recollection of the configuration, probably because we did not sell many.

None of the models carried any tubing decals. (edit: catalogs show Champion decals ont he top 3 but they did not come on the bicycles we saw) However, based on seat tube sizes, it appears to be varying grades of Tange tubing.

Please note that the above descriptions are based on models we sold from the 1973-1975 period. However, this was when Sekine was at it's peak and probably represent most of the models on the streets.

Any info is appreciated, as I am trying to develop a Sekine website.

Last edited by T-Mar; 12-05-11 at 03:45 PM. Reason: tubing decals
Old 11-24-04, 10:37 AM
MKRG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a picture of the frame as it was when it came into my possession.
Old 11-24-04, 11:19 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

I realize this is going to sound like a remedial question, but I'll ask it anyway.

How does one properly pronounce Sekine?
Old 11-24-04, 12:44 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by MKRG
That appears to be an SHT frame in the forest green colour.
Old 11-24-04, 01:18 PM
T-Mar

This appears to be an SHT frame in the forest green colour, based on the forged dropouts and the chrome on both the forks and stays. What's curious is the presence of the diamond shaped head badge and what appears to be a Maxy-type spindle (i.e. threaded studs on ends of spindle). Previous evidence indicated that this was replaced by more ornate head badge, sometime in the late '70s. However, Cyclone Mk II derailleurs were not introduced until 1981. Still, Cyclone MKII derailleurs and the Dia-Compe centre-pull brakes would be on par with the Titlist derailleurs and Dura-Ace centre-pull brakes found on the earlier SHT.

The other line of thought on the head badges is that the diamond shaped head badges were used on the entry level SHA and SHB/C, while the more ornate badge was used on the upscale SHT and SHX. It is possible that the chrome stays and forged dropouts may have trickled down to the SHB/C by the late '70s or early '80s. This is in line with a Maxy type spindle, which was found on the SHB/C, but not the SHT. But if the derailleurs are original, they would seem to point to an SHT or equivalent.

The other indicator, which cannot be determined form the pictures, is the method of running the rear brake cable. The SHT typically used clamps while the SHB/C had two brazed-on cable stops.

You can date the SunTour derailleurs by two letter date codes on the back of the parallelogram. Some Dia-Compe brakes have similar date codes. Info for decoding these codes can be found on the Vintage-Trek website https://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

I'd be curious to know the serial number, dropout manufacturer and dates for components. I have been trying to decypher the Sekine serial numbers and have a rough idea, within a couple of years.

Last edited by T-Mar; 11-24-04 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-24-04, 01:27 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by USAZorro
I realize this is going to sound like a remedial question, but I'll ask it anyway.

How does one properly pronounce Sekine?
I have heard various pronounciations of the name, but based on the sales rep's pronouciation it's Se-kee-nee. The first 'e' has the short vowel sound, as in 'set'. The 'i' and last 'e' are both pronounced with the long 'e' vowel sound.
Old 11-24-04, 02:08 PM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It has the "diamond" headbadge, says "made in Japan", but does not say "world finest".

That's why it was only $8.99.

Just kidding; congrats on your rescue.
Old 11-24-04, 03:23 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I have heard various pronounciations of the name, but based on the sales rep's pronouciation it's Se-kee-nee. The first 'e' has the short vowel sound, as in 'set'. The 'i' and last 'e' are both pronounced with the long 'e' vowel sound.
A slight variation of what I grow in my garden and give away to unsuspecting neighbors.

I'm absorbing this bicycle history like a sponge. I'm expressing my appreciation so you won't get the impression that it is unappreciated, get discouraged, and stop sharing your knowledge. Keep up the good work, and have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-04, 05:38 PM
MKRG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've looked the dropouts over pretty good and there is no mfg name on them. I can get the serial tomorrow since I'm at work right now. Work cuts int omy free time too much.
edit: it does indeed have maxy cranks, SR stem and bars
Old 11-25-04, 07:38 AM
T-Mar

edit: it does indeed have maxy cranks, SR stem and bars
SR bars and stems were standard equipment. They were decent equipment, so they are very rarely upgraded and likely are original equipment. Check out the stem, just below the insertion mark. There should be an open format date code. For the '70s it is usually YY.M, where YY=year and M=month. Sometimes the month indicator is also located above or below the year indicator. Later, the fomat changed to M-YY with a letter code to represent the month, where A=January, B=February, etc. Please post what you find or send me a private message.
Old 11-26-04, 09:31 AM
Citoyen du Monde

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I sold new Sekine bikes in 1981, but that was apparently the end of the line. If you want to find out more information, you may want to contact Lorne Shields and Ian Brown. Both have intimate knowledge about Sekine's operations in Canada.
Old 11-27-04, 12:07 AM
Sandy Eggo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just dropped back to see if there was any interest..... I guess there is!
OO-za-we-kwun was the name given the Base when the Dept. of Indian Affairs took over (means Yellow Quill). They had a 10 year mandate to start making money. Hence 1973 to 1983 for years of operation. There were other manufacturers there also. Edson Industries built motorhomes and RV's, Arnold Manufacturing fabricated and painted all the metal frames for the booths at all McDonald's in Canada, and Fiberlex Plastics that did vacuum formed parts for OEM's. Sekine (se-KEE-nee) was the bigest investment, so they got the largest hangar (6 Hangar) for their operation. I worked in Shipping and Receiving from 1973 till 1977.
I'm going to get my stuff together and be back.

btw.... the old Base was sold to a farmer and it is now one of the largest pork producers in wastern Canada. Sad to see.
Old 11-28-04, 12:42 AM
oldy57

Bikes: 1930's CCM Flyer, black and gold, 1930's CCM Flyer, chrome, 1939 CCM Flyer Gold plated, 1903 CCM Rambler, 1912 Glasgo Cycle Co, 1935 Silver King Wingbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sandy Is there an archive of information in the town of Rivers of the Sekine plant. Maybe someone you know has some paperwork info on the plant. I am in Winnipeg and see a lot of Sekine bikes. I remember in the 70's when they were very popular here. I see them at a lot of garage sales and at the Wpg police auctions. I have a very interesting ladies frame Sekine in pastel blue with a very rare 2 speed Shimano rear hub. The hub looks like the Sturmey Archer 2 speed hub of the 30's but this is a 70/80's hub. The bike is a roadster style and not the racer style you see here. T Mar if you want pics of this bike for your website I can get them for you.
Old 11-28-04, 10:02 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by oldy57
T Mar if you want pics of this bike for your website I can get them for you.
Thank-you for your offer, it is very much appreciated. The LBS where I worked only carried the lightweight line. While I'm aware of some others (I have pics of muscle bikes and BMX) I have no first hand experience with them. Any Sekine info can be sent to me via private message through this site. Once I recieve the message I will provide my personal e-mail. All contributions will receive acknowledgement on the site, which I hope to have running early next year.

BTW, thank-you to dnalsaam for steering me towards Lorne and Ian. I knew they were involved with Nishiki, but not Sekine. I have met Ian several times and we have several mutual friends. I believe that he is off on one his numerous cycling vacations right now, but hope to arrange something soon.
Old 12-02-04, 08:14 AM
Hickory

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
If it does not have the "world's finest bicycle" logo on the downtube, then it 1973 or later. If it is Made in Japan, it could be almost any model. Even though the Canadian factory started production in 1973, the LBS where I worked was still receiving some Japanese manufactured bicycles as late as 1975. As I recall, these also had the diamond shaped head badge. Post the components list and I should be able identify the model.

Frame (on seat tube): TNG Crome Molybdenom #2010 "distributed by Beacon Cycle", "Made in Japan"
Suntour power d-t shifters; Maxy cranks, diacompe brakes and brake levers - the left brake hood is pretty worn and cracked and says Weinmann, no "hood" on right lever. Bars say "Sakae Custom Road Champion", suntour rear der, front der is gone; hi-flange hubs say "sunshine"; serial # on bottom of bb shell is W109022. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-04, 02:00 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Hickory
Frame (on seat tube): TNG Crome Molybdenom #2010 "distributed by Beacon Cycle", "Made in Japan"
Suntour power d-t shifters; Maxy cranks, diacompe brakes and brake levers - the left brake hood is pretty worn and cracked and says Weinmann, no "hood" on right lever. Bars say "Sakae Custom Road Champion", suntour rear der, front der is gone; hi-flange hubs say "sunshine"; serial # on bottom of bb shell is W109022. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
The info I have on Sekine serial numbers is limited, so while it's not conclusive, it points to 1973. This also assumes that the Cnadian and Japanese companies used the same foramt, which may not be the case.

Given the era, the Maxi crank and Japanese origin would seem to indicate an SHB model. You don't mention the model of rear derailleur. Most likely it is a SunTour V or Honor. The matching front derailleurs would have been the Compe and Spirt, respectively.

However, I honestly do not remember SunTour/Sugino/Dia-Compe of the Sekine for this time period. I also do not remember tubing decals. Even my top of the line SHX does not have one! The 'Crome Molybdenom' reference is also rather odd, as most 20xx series steels, are considered high tensile. Chromium-Molybdenum steels are generally 4130 or 41xx series.

However, since it SunTour and Sugino equipped, it is possible to verify the year using component date codes. The SunTour rear derailleur should have a two letter code on the back of the parallelogram, starting with N (1972) or O (1973). The cranks should have a YY-MM code on the back of the arms where 47 = 1972 and 48 = 1973 for YY. The stem should also have YY.M code below the insertion mark, where YY is the last two digits of the year. Please post what you find or send me a private message through the forum.
Old 02-23-05, 04:44 PM
lemazing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there. This is my first post. I was doign a little internet research on my Sekine and came up with this site. I inherited my Sekine in around 1999 from my sister. It is a road racing bike (supposedly sprint with the rear wheel tight into the fork so you need to deflate the tire to remove, designed with the point that if you are changing a flat during a race, don't bother, you lost). Anyways, my sister bought the bike in 1992 or 1994 in Saskatchewan Canada. We all had Sekines when we were kids before the company stopped making bikes. But I guess in the early 1990's Sekine tried a came out with a racing model as a comeback bike. My bike has Shimano 105 components and a chromoly frame. I ride it a bit and have done a few sprint tris in it. I am planning on a bigger race this summer and am going to get it professionanlly tuned up. Hard to upgrade to a new bike when it has been so good. Had the frame patched last year where it was dinged. Anyways, I'll ask my sister for more details when I talk to her.
Old 03-06-05, 08:54 AM
tbiapb23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb Kicks Ass!

This is about the Sekine "GTO" A Japanese bicycle of the 1970's. At that time, many Japanese bikes were imported into the U.S. Most Japanese companies had a line of bikes for the U.S. market and a line for the Japanese market. Sekine tried to sell one of their "Japan" models here, but it just didn't sell. This "GTO" is a 77' model and has tons of accessories including brake lights, sequential blinkers, a radio, racks and a rear mounted kickstand. The Japanese were very interested in the U.S. "muscle cars," and this bike has a bit of that flavor. Thats all i could find. Hope it helps!
Old 05-10-05, 04:51 PM
cuber
cuber

Bikes: 1 - Giant Innova Cross. 2 - Giant TCR Elite Road. 3 - Sekine 5-Sp Vintage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been reading the Sekine posts with interest because I am just now starting to restore the very first new bike I purchased. It is a Sekine 5-sp road bike. I purchased it new somewhere around the mid 70's. From comments that have been posted, it appears as if it is a SHC Canadian built Sekine.
The Serial No. is 778460. Deep Red in color. It has an oval 2-3/8" high head badge that has "CS" "Medialle" on it. It has an SR Stem and crank with a 50 tooth ring gear, SunTour stem mounted lever shifter, Shimano Tourney brake calipers, Lark rear derailleur, and 5 speed freewheel. The handlebars are aluminum flat curved (not drop). The wheels are chrome with 27x1-1/4 tires. This bike came stock with several brand name stickers/decals on the tubes. Both sides of the down tube have the letters "S E K I N E" and the seat tube has a large 9-3/4" wrap around decal that has a large "CS" crest with lettering under it that says "Made by Sekine Canada Ltd." A smaller sticker on the seat tube, by the B/B says "Sekine Canada" Since I bought this bike new, I know that everything on it is stock.
I hope this information will help some of you with dating issues (no pun intended). If you can provide me with an accurate date of manufacture, I would be most appreciative.
Old 05-10-05, 06:54 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by toomanybikes
I went to one of the local bike shops where I found a mi-80's Klein frame, DT shifters and Super record derailleurs, bottom bracket; regina CX 6 speed freewheel ($100)
the derailleurs are almost worth the price of this Klein...do you have any idea which model it is?
Old 10-01-05, 06:45 PM
Xman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just found this site after searching Sekine. My neighbour just gave me his 1976 10-sp cream colour Sekine. It is in perfect shape. I was suprised at the technology of a bike that is two years older then me! Magnesium bars? Quick release hubs. The bike is amazing. It needs almost no work. I put air in the tires and I was off to the races!
Thanks to all the history that you have all supplied.
Old 10-02-05, 09:35 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Xman
I just found this site after searching Sekine. My neighbour just gave me his 1976 10-sp cream colour Sekine. It is in perfect shape. I was suprised at the technology of a bike that is two years older then me! Magnesium bars? Quick release hubs. The bike is amazing. It needs almost no work. I put air in the tires and I was off to the races!
Thanks to all the history that you have all supplied.
Given the era and description, you most likely have one of the mid range models, either an SHS or an SHT. The major difference is the crankset, with the SHS having a right crankarm that is swaged to the large chainring, while the SHT has a crankarm with an integral spider that the large chainring is bolted onto. However, some dealers were known to install QR skewers on the SHC, so that also be a possibility. The handlebars are aluminum, almost certainly, SR World Champion. Check out a modern road bike if you really want to be impressed by technology.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.