Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sekine world's finest bicycle?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sekine world's finest bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-06, 10:38 PM
sekinefan

Bikes: Kona:Lavadome,Sekine:?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, just found this forum, and proud to say I am once again the happy owner of a mint cond orig Sekine 10spd from about 1979-80 not sure, would love to find out more if anyone out there knows how to decipher the serial No, bought it off some guy that bought it new and hardly rode it, but kept it inside away from the elements so stayed pretty much like new, until he decided to sell, and I snapped it up the moment I saw it, I had a Sekine back in the late 70's and always remembered the quality of the bike, how the frame was bullit proof, couldn't break or bend the thing no matter what abuse I put it thru, of course I would ruin wheels but the frame always stayed true, No-Hands no problem, well looking forward to riding this spring and summer, and hope to hear from others that appreciate the Sekine, Ciao Carlo
Old 04-09-06, 06:52 AM
Im Fixed

Bikes: NORCO, GIANT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 3 Canadian built 1 ladys and 2 mens one is my fixed gear. Another rolled into the yard yesterday it has worlds finest bike with a rinestone up front. I now have 2 white a red and a green.
Old 04-09-06, 09:51 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by sekinefan
Hi all, just found this forum, and proud to say I am once again the happy owner of a mint cond orig Sekine 10spd from about 1979-80 not sure, would love to find out more if anyone out there knows how to decipher the serial No, bought it off some guy that bought it new and hardly rode it, but kept it inside away from the elements so stayed pretty much like new, until he decided to sell, and I snapped it up the moment I saw it, I had a Sekine back in the late 70's and always remembered the quality of the bike, how the frame was bullit proof, couldn't break or bend the thing no matter what abuse I put it thru, of course I would ruin wheels but the frame always stayed true, No-Hands no problem, well looking forward to riding this spring and summer, and hope to hear from others that appreciate the Sekine, Ciao Carlo
I may be able to help with the serial number, provided it is a Canadian manufactured model.
Old 04-09-06, 01:50 PM
sekinefan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar, yes it is a Canadian model, here is the serial No: Y1139035
If you can decipher it I would greatly appreciate your help.
The bike is completely original down to the stainless steel rear wheel chain ring with the SEKINE name written around it, even the handlebar tape looks original & still like new, I will post some pics when I get around to buying a digital camera one of these days, Ciao Carlo
Old 04-09-06, 02:21 PM
you

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur '89

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this rymodee from this bike is a pipe bomb?
Old 04-09-06, 07:55 PM
T-Mar

T-Mar, yes it is a Canadian model, here is the serial No: Y1139035
If you can decipher it I would greatly appreciate your help.
The bike is completely original down to the stainless steel rear wheel chain ring with the SEKINE name written around it, even the handlebar tape looks original & still like new, I will post some pics when I get around to buying a digital camera one of these days, Ciao Carlo
Based on my current understanding of the Sekine serial numbers it should be about 1975. Given the relative sales volumes of the various models, it's probably an SHC. I'll know for sure when I see the pics.
Old 04-10-06, 01:23 AM
sekinefan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar, I checked the components on my creme colour Sekine and it has full Shimano with Titlist front derailleur, Crane rear derailleur, chromed fork tips and rear triangle, Tourney centre-pull brakes, aluminum Shimano 27" X 1-1/4" wheels & hubs, aluminum SR Royal pedal cranks and handlebars, also the seat tube sticker has the letters "CS" in the centre crest and also the white painted emblem riveted to the front of the handlebar tube also has the letters "CS" within the name Sekine which from what I've read from previous posts in this forum leads me to believe it may be a SCS model ?
All I know is she is a dream to ride, I recently replaced the obviously original equipment tires that were looking dried out from age with new 120psi Continentals, just watch out for those potholes !!!
Old 04-10-06, 05:41 PM
T-Mar

T-Mar, I checked the components on my creme colour Sekine and it has full Shimano with Titlist front derailleur, Crane rear derailleur, chromed fork tips and rear triangle, Tourney centre-pull brakes, aluminum Shimano 27" X 1-1/4" wheels & hubs, aluminum SR Royal pedal cranks and handlebars, also the seat tube sticker has the letters "CS" in the centre crest and also the white painted emblem riveted to the front of the handlebar tube also has the letters "CS" within the name Sekine which from what I've read from previous posts in this forum leads me to believe it may be a SCS model ?
All I know is she is a dream to ride, I recently replaced the obviously original equipment tires that were looking dried out from age with new 120psi Continentals, just watch out for those potholes !!!
Based on the components, it sounds like an SHT, which was a very nice bicycle. Back in the mid-1970s I probably sold one SHT for every five hundred SHC. Congratulations on your acquisition.
Old 04-10-06, 07:48 PM
sekinefan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar, wow, I was told it was the top of the line model from the guy who sold it to me, but who knows, I was just happy to find any Sekine in original condition, and to find one virtually in mint condition was a like finding treasure, by the way what is the difference between the SHT & SHX models ? Carlo
Old 04-11-06, 03:15 PM
T-Mar

T-Mar, wow, I was told it was the top of the line model from the guy who sold it to me, but who knows, I was just happy to find any Sekine in original condition, and to find one virtually in mint condition was a like finding treasure, by the way what is the difference between the SHT & SHX models ? Carlo
During this period, the SHX was top of the line, with your SHT being 2nd. There was quite a gap between the two models. The SHX was full Dura-Ace with tubular wheelset and steeping, shorter, racing geometry. The tubing was almost certainly one grade higher, but the specs never gave this info and the mid-1970s models did not come with tubing decals.
Old 04-11-06, 08:42 PM
sekinefan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar, you certainly are a wealth of information, regarding the tubing decals my bike does have a decal that says (ButtedTubes,CHAMPION,Cr-Mo Steel) on the seat tube just above the regular Sekine brand name decal, can you email me or post some pics of the SHX, I would love to see it, as well as some close-ups of the Dura-Ace components, the SHX must have been very rare indeed, if you say my SHT was sold 1 out of every 500, then the SHX must have been 1/1000 I bet ? Carlo
Old 04-11-06, 09:25 PM
skyrider

Bikes: 85 bianchi stelvio, 80s Rossi, 80s Fiori modena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey fellow Sekiners, I own a Red Medialle I think T mar put it at 75. Ill get a serial # tommorrow. This bike rides so smooth, and is very nimble, shifts are very positive so to speak. Ive ridden it Monday to Friday 20km daily since Sept. . Im impressed that its chromoly I thaught it was a light weight steel. Either way this thing rocks.
Old 04-14-06, 06:51 AM
T-Mar

T-Mar, you certainly are a wealth of information, regarding the tubing decals my bike does have a decal that says (ButtedTubes,CHAMPION,Cr-Mo Steel) on the seat tube just above the regular Sekine brand name decal, can you email me or post some pics of the SHX, I would love to see it, as well as some close-ups of the Dura-Ace components, the SHX must have been very rare indeed, if you say my SHT was sold 1 out of every 500, then the SHX must have been 1/1000 I bet ? Carlo
I'm, suprised to hear that you have tubing decals. Mine is a year newer than yours and has no tubing decal. I also don't remember them coming though with tubing decals until the later 1970s, but that just could be old age. However, the period literature that I have also does not show tubing decals.

Regardless, PM or e-mail me via the forum with your e-mail address and I'll send you some pics.
Old 04-14-06, 07:26 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by rymodee
it shan't be easy, i don't own any camera capable, i was just hoping for the sekine pr guru man (or woman) to unload detail after detail. ah well...
disposable film camera from drugstore. Ask for the CD when they process the film.
Old 04-14-06, 08:16 AM
oldy57

Bikes: 1930's CCM Flyer, black and gold, 1930's CCM Flyer, chrome, 1939 CCM Flyer Gold plated, 1903 CCM Rambler, 1912 Glasgo Cycle Co, 1935 Silver King Wingbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TMAR have you seen a Sekine model cruiser bike from 1980 with Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs. There is 2 of them at a local auction coming up this Sat. 1 is brand new. There is also a nice Sekine road bike with all alloy components, pastel blue paint. I saw a ladies 26" wheel 5 speed with alluminun or stainless fenders there also. Hope to pick thes up cheap.
Old 04-14-06, 12:43 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by oldy57
TMAR have you seen a Sekine model cruiser bike from 1980 with Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs. There is 2 of them at a local auction coming up this Sat. 1 is brand new. There is also a nice Sekine road bike with all alloy components, pastel blue paint. I saw a ladies 26" wheel 5 speed with alluminun or stainless fenders there also. Hope to pick thes up cheap.
Sorry, I haven't seen the cruiser model in question and it's not in any of my catalogs, but it sounds very interesting. The only 5 speed women's model with 26" wheels that I know is the SIA. There were a couple of other women's 5 speeds, but they used 27" wheels. I'd need more info to identify the pastel blue bicycle. Sekine used to call this pearl blue, if it's the color I'm thinking of. There was a also a silver blue, which was one of my favorites. Even if you don't get any of them, try to get some pictures. I'd like to see them. Good luck!
Old 04-14-06, 10:11 PM
sekinefan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I'm, suprised to hear that you have tubing decals. Mine is a year newer than yours and has no tubing decal. I also don't remember them coming though with tubing decals until the later 1970s, but that just could be old age. However, the period literature that I have also does not show tubing decals.

Regardless, PM or e-mail me via the forum with your e-mail address and I'll send you some pics.
T-Mar, did you ever start up a sekine website ? Sent you PM with email address, looking fwd to seeing pics of your SHX !!! Carlo
Old 04-15-06, 06:11 AM
Im Fixed

Bikes: NORCO, GIANT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a sekine frame with crome forks and rear stays also has screws with springs that screw into the rear stays and its own derailer hanger. I was going to make it a fixed gear and cut it off. The frame is very light and I have all the origional parts. Would this be a upper level frame. Never did ride it.
Old 04-17-06, 07:02 AM
CdnPeugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im Fixed

I have a sekine frame with crome forks and rear stays also has screws with springs that screw into the rear stays and its own derailer hanger. I was going to make it a fixed gear and cut it off. The frame is very light and I have all the origional parts. Would this be a upper level frame. Never did ride it.
to: i'm fixed. don't mutate that sekine until t-mar cant id its rarity. i'm converting my '78 white sekine into a SS, but he cleared me to do so first! if yours is indeed chromed, chances are its better than mine...
Old 04-17-06, 06:56 PM
oldy57

Bikes: 1930's CCM Flyer, black and gold, 1930's CCM Flyer, chrome, 1939 CCM Flyer Gold plated, 1903 CCM Rambler, 1912 Glasgo Cycle Co, 1935 Silver King Wingbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sekine Cruiser

TMAR I have a few pics of the Sekine bike that was at a local auction. I picked up both the old rusty one and the NOS bike. Both are dated 1980 on the Sturmey Archer hubs. The NOS one rides like a dream. It is a Made in Canada bike. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-17-06, 07:59 PM
T-Mar

TMAR I have a few pics of the Sekine bike that was at a local auction. I picked up both the old rusty one and the NOS bike. Both are dated 1980 on the Sturmey Archer hubs. The NOS one rides like a dream. It is a Made in Canada bike. [IMG][/IMG]
Sweet! Congratulations on your acquistion. Sorry that I can't identify the model. I don't recall seeing anything likr it and it's not in any of my catalogs. Maybe only produced for a year, or two? Enjoy!
Old 04-20-06, 09:44 AM
MacG
don't pedal backwards...

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker set up for commuting and loaded touring, old Sekine road frame converted to fixed-gear, various beaters and weird bikes, waiting on the frame for my Surly Big Dummy build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up what I believe is a mid-70s SHC frame in the dark green color last night. It looks like what you have there is a Sekine road frame that somebody has put 26" wheels on. Look at the front fork and how much space there is above the tire. The rear brake bridge looks to be the same way. I also doubt Sekine would have run a shifter cable on the downtube in a manner that obscures the lettering. It looks like someone converted a road bike with a gear hub and what appears to be a front drum hub and some cruiser bars. A very interesting looking bike; nice find.
Old 04-20-06, 12:15 PM
bluespenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another sekine score

I'm loving this thread - it's both comprehensive and interesting.
Last night, I stumbled across a collector's goldmine. A guy selling around 30 interesting bikes, and parts, for cheap. I left with three 70s peugeot frames and components, and two complete bikes, one of which is a stunning, and totally stock (including tires) Sekine 10 speed. All for $70 Cdn.
It sounds like a SHT (?) - its equipped with Titlist shimano gears and shimano everything else (except sr cranks) and it also has the frame sticker, reading Champion tube cro-mo steel. The rims are araxa, 27 x 1 1/4.
It's got the medalliane head badge (if that's how you spell it), and doesn't claim to be the world's finest anything. I'm in Canada, and I assume it's probably Canadian too.
Anyway, I oiled it up, added some air to the tires, and peeled off around the block. It's very nice, but a bit small, and I'm only 5'10".
Now here's the question part: I was going to steal parts from it, including the wheels, to rebuild the best of the Peugeots, which appears to be 1973 AO-8, or PA 60s, from what little I know. It's not a PX-10, for sure.
After reading this, I'm wondering if the Sekine might be the better bike, if I can find a slightly longer handlebar stem and seat post.
Thoughts?
Mike
Old 04-20-06, 12:19 PM
bluespenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
more on sekine score

Oh yeaf, mine also has those rear stay screw and spring things. What are they?
mike
Old 04-20-06, 01:47 PM
hiromian
Gios my baby

Bikes: Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluespenny
I'm loving this thread - it's both comprehensive and interesting.
Last night, I stumbled across a collector's goldmine. A guy selling around 30 interesting bikes, and parts, for cheap. I left with three 70s peugeot frames and components, and two complete bikes, one of which is a stunning, and totally stock (including tires) Sekine 10 speed. All for $70 Cdn.
It sounds like a SHT (?) - its equipped with Titlist shimano gears and shimano everything else (except sr cranks) and it also has the frame sticker, reading Champion tube cro-mo steel. The rims are araxa, 27 x 1 1/4.
It's got the medalliane head badge (if that's how you spell it), and doesn't claim to be the world's finest anything. I'm in Canada, and I assume it's probably Canadian too.
Anyway, I oiled it up, added some air to the tires, and peeled off around the block. It's very nice, but a bit small, and I'm only 5'10".
Now here's the question part: I was going to steal parts from it, including the wheels, to rebuild the best of the Peugeots, which appears to be 1973 AO-8, or PA 60s, from what little I know. It's not a PX-10, for sure.
After reading this, I'm wondering if the Sekine might be the better bike, if I can find a slightly longer handlebar stem and seat post.
Thoughts?
Mike
Check with Ericdj and Markwebb and Penguind. They want Peugeot parts etc. Maybe you can help them out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.