Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Show us your tandem!

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Show us your tandem!

Old 04-04-21, 07:57 PM
  #76  
jetboy 
Senior Member
 
jetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 3,290

Bikes: centurion ironman, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport, look kg96, various others

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 103 Posts
Not kitted out yet as this is just as I got it today: but pretty stoked:

jetboy is offline  
Likes For jetboy:
Old 04-05-21, 04:27 AM
  #77  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,428

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked 3,073 Times in 1,305 Posts
Late eighties' Vittorio Populair. Ordered new by the previous owners, who happen to have our exact measurements. I rebuilt it with slightly older parts, so it would qualify for C&V events. Braking is now mediocre at best, so we've become quite adept at yelling at people to get out of the way.

__________________
Perhaps.










non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-05-21, 09:51 PM
  #78  
jetboy 
Senior Member
 
jetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 3,290

Bikes: centurion ironman, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport, look kg96, various others

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 103 Posts
nice one. the PO on my dawes added a drum brake to the rear- in addition to the rim brake. I suppose it helps? still getting used to it. Nice bike, my daughter would appreciate the the angled top tube on the stocker.

her main complaint so far is getting on and off with that high tube.
jetboy is offline  
Old 04-08-21, 12:49 PM
  #79  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,428

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked 3,073 Times in 1,305 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
nice one. the PO on my dawes added a drum brake to the rear- in addition to the rim brake. I suppose it helps? still getting used to it. Nice bike, my daughter would appreciate the the angled top tube on the stocker.

her main complaint so far is getting on and off with that high tube.
Thank you. The rear hub has NDS threads for an Arai shoe plate brake, but I haven't been able to find one yet at a reasonable price. I'll keep yelling for now. "Coming through!!!"

This is the man/woman version. There was a man/man version with horizontal top tubes as well. Some things were easier in those pre-PC times ...
__________________
Perhaps.










non-fixie is offline  
Old 04-08-21, 05:18 PM
  #80  
jetboy 
Senior Member
 
jetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 3,290

Bikes: centurion ironman, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport, look kg96, various others

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
Thank you. The rear hub has NDS threads for an Arai shoe plate brake, but I haven't been able to find one yet at a reasonable price. I'll keep yelling for now. "Coming through!!!"

This is the man/woman version. There was a man/man version with horizontal top tubes as well. Some things were easier in those pre-PC times ...
seems I was lucky the PO already did that work and sourced the brake and spent the $ (though probably cheaper then what see the rate at now! yowza!). seems in good shape, and I hear they last forever. Not taken it apart yet (found the rock the boat method and the large spanner method but not tried either. seems to be working though.. )

With COVID- around here has been tough so its been pretty fun to have that time with my daughter just out tooling about together. and having to cooperate and all. She is getting into it which is nice . just make her do the work sometimes!

here is brake side:

jetboy is offline  
Likes For jetboy:
Old 04-08-21, 05:28 PM
  #81  
James1964 
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
1978 Gitane Audax 1716 tandem

James1964 is offline  
Likes For James1964:
Old 04-12-21, 04:07 AM
  #82  
fitlerbend
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Kentucky
Posts: 59

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
DaVinci Tailwind



We received this tandem on 4/8/21. We are still doing some final adjustments and fitting out. We ordered this directly from DaVinci - steel frame and fork with S&S couplers, 26" wheels, Jones Loop bars. Motor is Shimano 8000. It has the traditional DaVinci Independent Drive with modifications for the e-drive.
fitlerbend is offline  
Likes For fitlerbend:
Old 04-12-21, 08:20 PM
  #83  
fooferdoggie 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by fitlerbend View Post

We received this tandem on 4/8/21. We are still doing some final adjustments and fitting out. We ordered this directly from DaVinci - steel frame and fork with S&S couplers, 26" wheels, Jones Loop bars. Motor is Shimano 8000. It has the traditional DaVinci Independent Drive with modifications for the e-drive.
I wonder I have a tandem with a bosch drive but a more normal rear setup. it lets my wife peddle while I don't/ but it also lets her over peddle and that can cause issues. we have worked it out mostly. so I take it this setup eliminates that? like if we start in a higher assist level to get going fast it can pop the chain off in back.
fooferdoggie is online now  
Old 04-13-21, 04:13 AM
  #84  
fitlerbend
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Kentucky
Posts: 59

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Out of habit developed from riding a solo e-bike for two years and in consideration of battery charge life, I don't kick in e-power until we are rolling. Also, with the independent drive (pedal power) I don't thinks we would put as much strain on the drive chain as synchronized cranks. The front drive would put more strain on the timing chain than a rear power drive. We have not ridden this bike enough to test battery charge life, but I keep in mind that higher pedal rpm increases battery charge life.
fitlerbend is offline  
Old 04-14-21, 08:08 AM
  #85  
fooferdoggie 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by fitlerbend View Post
Out of habit developed from riding a solo e-bike for two years and in consideration of battery charge life, I don't kick in e-power until we are rolling. Also, with the independent drive (pedal power) I don't thinks we would put as much strain on the drive chain as synchronized cranks. The front drive would put more strain on the timing chain than a rear power drive. We have not ridden this bike enough to test battery charge life, but I keep in mind that higher pedal rpm increases battery charge life.
I have way to many years riding by myself and my wife had way to many years of not riding at all. we get around 35 or so miles on our bosch battery if we can keep the cruising speed to about 18.5 or so the motor is not doing much. our bike was more of a cruiser bike we changed over to a more regular bike. so 2" tires slow us down a bit but good when we go on trails and such. but I usually crank top the assist going up hills to speed them again.
fooferdoggie is online now  
Old 04-15-21, 08:19 PM
  #86  
MRacing
Junior Member
 
MRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 20

Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Comotion Java, Time, Cervelo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Travel and Allroad tandem. Ready to go.
MRacing is offline  
Old 04-19-21, 07:15 AM
  #87  
rocknrollin
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 37

Bikes: PlanetX Tempest, Santana Fusion, Santana Arriva

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MRacing View Post
Travel and Allroad tandem. Ready to go.
Beautiful!
Which fork is that? I have not seen that model before.
And what's the total weight?
rocknrollin is offline  
Old 04-19-21, 09:08 AM
  #88  
preventec47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
Italian Compact Tandem

https://www.mtbici.it/en/bicycles/sp...peedcross.html

In practice I dont know how well it rides or performs but I sure would like to find out. If the best components and frame materials
were used, I think this two seater bike could be amazingly lightweight. AND Compact.



TANDEM COMPACT CROSS | SpeedCross
preventec47 is offline  
Likes For preventec47:
Old 04-19-21, 11:16 AM
  #89  
MRacing
Junior Member
 
MRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 20

Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Comotion Java, Time, Cervelo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rocknrollin View Post
Beautiful!
Which fork is that? I have not seen that model before.
And what's the total weight?
It is a gravel fork from Enve, we’ve had a similar one on our Calfee for the last 7 years that has worked great. We were waiting for a Colab fork but their delivery is delayed into the unknown. Bike weight depending on wheels hovers just under/over 30lbs ready to ride with pedals etc.
MRacing is offline  
Likes For MRacing:
Old 04-20-21, 04:44 PM
  #90  
jetboy 
Senior Member
 
jetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 3,290

Bikes: centurion ironman, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport, look kg96, various others

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
https://www.mtbici.it/en/bicycles/sp...peedcross.html

In practice I dont know how well it rides or performs but I sure would like to find out. If the best components and frame materials
were used, I think this two seater bike could be amazingly lightweight. AND Compact.



TANDEM COMPACT CROSS | SpeedCross
that is very cool if it works.
jetboy is offline  
Old 04-26-21, 09:08 AM
  #91  
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene
 
twocicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Posts: 1,991

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MRacing View Post
It is a gravel fork from Enve, we’ve had a similar one on our Calfee for the last 7 years that has worked great. We were waiting for a Colab fork but their delivery is delayed into the unknown. Bike weight depending on wheels hovers just under/over 30lbs ready to ride with pedals etc.
Simple FYI for others to find info about the OP tandem ... https://binghambuiltbikes.com/portfolio-items/tandem/
twocicle is offline  
Old 04-30-21, 05:31 PM
  #92  
antmaster5000
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 163

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 27 Posts



Gary Fisher Gemini. Just had the bottom brackets serviced, replaced some cables/housing, new tires, and some pink cockpits. Excited to start putting in the miles

Last edited by antmaster5000; 04-30-21 at 05:41 PM.
antmaster5000 is offline  
Old 05-22-21, 08:27 PM
  #93  
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,471

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 914 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
In practice I don't know...amazingly lightweight. AND Compact.
That's a 'donkey-back'. The design is maybe 125 years old.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_da-o.html#donkeyback
tcs is offline  
Old 05-23-21, 01:07 PM
  #94  
Msteven
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
CoMo Mocha

Our CoMo Mocha was supposed to be a rolling experiment with Hydro Brakes, Di2 3x and wide range gears, tubeless 650bx47 wheels and our old burley Bob Trailer. She is not pristine...but sturdy and reliable adventure machine.
Di2 upgrades...all external cables
Brake upgrades...hydro 4 piston calipers and Magura floating rotors
Big gear range 52-39-30 + 11x42
Dents, Dings, cable rub and scratches...art imitates life I suppose.










Msteven is offline  
Old 05-31-21, 11:34 PM
  #95  
bazil4696
Bike Doctor
 
bazil4696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 141

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
1952 Claud Butler Tandem



Recently acquired Claud Butler ladyback Tandem. All the goodies from post-war cycling are still intact. Resilion brakes, Cyclo three speed derailleur, Solite hubs & 26 x 1 1/4 Dunlop rims, Williams cranks. Reynolds 531 fillet brazed craftsmanship.



Last edited by bazil4696; 05-31-21 at 11:39 PM.
bazil4696 is offline  
Likes For bazil4696:
Old 06-01-21, 02:26 PM
  #96  
SWG
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New Toronto
Posts: 16

Bikes: Binachi Brava (?) Burley Duet Pashley Picador Plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
bazil that's a sweet bike. I noticed it for sale recently when I was looking on the local classified pages, I ended up finding a Burley tandem in Toronto, around the same time as that was for sale.
SWG is offline  
Likes For SWG:
Old 06-01-21, 03:06 PM
  #97  
SWG
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New Toronto
Posts: 16

Bikes: Binachi Brava (?) Burley Duet Pashley Picador Plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl View Post
Our 1987? Burley Duet. We made a post late last year on Tandem@Hobbes asking if anyone had a cheap tandem fixer-upper...
[snip]
Awesome story and your bike looks great. (I am new and can't post or quote your photos)

Can you describe the control you have for the rear drum brake? It's *sort of* visible in the photos but not clearly. I have Burley Duet, recently acquired, and it has the brake in what seems to be good condition, but no control for it. Also, what is the stem you have on the stroker's seat.
SWG is offline  
Old 06-03-21, 09:59 AM
  #98  
bazil4696
Bike Doctor
 
bazil4696's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 141

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SWG View Post
bazil that's a sweet bike. I noticed it for sale recently when I was looking on the local classified pages, I ended up finding a Burley tandem in Toronto, around the same time as that was for sale.
It turned out to be very original, with all it's goodies still intact. As a project, there's a few quirks im working through, I've posted some pics in "for the love of English three speeds" forum on my brake cable fabrication process. I'll sort out new cables, then rebuild the cranks, hubs and head tube bearings.
bazil4696 is offline  
Old 06-03-21, 11:24 AM
  #99  
CABELLOJO
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 25 Posts
1998 Cannondale MT1000 Tandem Hybrid


1998 Cannondale MT1000 Tandem Hybrid
CABELLOJO is offline  
Old 06-04-21, 12:19 AM
  #100  
samkl 
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 499

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SWG View Post
Awesome story and your bike looks great. (I am new and can't post or quote your photos)

Can you describe the control you have for the rear drum brake? It's *sort of* visible in the photos but not clearly. I have Burley Duet, recently acquired, and it has the brake in what seems to be good condition, but no control for it. Also, what is the stem you have on the stroker's seat.
Thanks!

The stem is the original Burley stoker stem, which came painted to match. We have the drum brake connected to a cheap old friction shifter shifter that I clamped to the captain's stem. A little awkward at first but you get used to it. We thought about putting it on the stoker's bars but the cable routing on the frame is designed for captain control.
samkl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.