Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cool Tips for wrapping bars

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 06:46 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts

Anyone have any cool tips for wrapping bars?

here is mine.
#1 When using stiff tape, wrap the bars without exposing the adhesive, take the tape off and rewrap, the tape will be broken in a bit and wrap and handle nicer.

- James
www.buckyrides.com
Likes For jbucky1:
Old 01-16-20, 08:53 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Finish off the wrap with self-fusing silicone tape instead of electrical tape.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 01-17-20, 08:45 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Finish off the wrap with self-fusing silicone tape instead of electrical tape.
I've seen this recommended several places and tried it myself. It does make a very neat finishing tape but I found my hands tended to curl up the edges when holding the bars near the stem. I've gone back to electrical tape but use high quality electrical tape (Scotch brand), not the dollar store stuff.
Old 01-17-20, 08:56 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
I’m gunna be wrapping my bars for the first time soon. Hopefully not as difficult as I am thinking it will be in my head.

My LBS is a trek store, so most likely that is where i’ll be buying mine from. Online the bontrager stuff ranges from 15 dollars all the way up to 75, anything I should take into consideration other than color? Silly question but I couldn’t tell the difference between a lot of them. (looking at a picture online not in person).
Old 01-17-20, 09:16 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Bottle of wine
Likes For trailangel:
Old 01-18-20, 12:00 AM
jbucky1

Originally Posted by trailangel
Bottle of wine
Good call
Old 01-18-20, 12:01 AM
jbucky1

Originally Posted by bampilot06
I’m gunna be wrapping my bars for the first time soon. Hopefully not as difficult as I am thinking it will be in my head.

My LBS is a trek store, so most likely that is where i’ll be buying mine from. Online the bontrager stuff ranges from 15 dollars all the way up to 75, anything I should take into consideration other than color? Silly question but I couldn’t tell the difference between a lot of them. (looking at a picture online not in person).
I like tape that has a bit of stretch and is thinner to wrap easier
- james
www.buckyrides.com
Old 01-18-20, 07:38 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I have arthritis in my hands so I like thicker, more shock-absorbent tape, some of my bars have Specialized Body Geometry Bar Phat gel insert for extra cushioning, which one might not want as it does very slightly give a less direct connect to your steering/handling. Some like the tape with adhesive or a sticky gel strip to keep it from shifting, but I find it unnecessary and a pain to clean for re-taping. I have one handlebar with leather and it looks fabulous, but hard for me to get a nice wrap and it offers little cushioning. Have two with shellaced Nubaum's cotton that looks great on the C&V bikes, lasts for years with a little shellac touch-up but again no padding and not at all "grippy", it is slick. When I buildout a bike for a family member I almost always go with Cinelli cork as it give good grip, cushioning and wears well, it does have annoying sticky strip but that is my kids problem when a new wrap is needed.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-18-20, 09:47 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I don't like exposed adhesive tape at all. I wrap from the top down and secure the end inside the handlebar with the plug. No exposed, unsightly tape. Some people say that wrapping this opposite way causes the edges of the tape to roll up. That's not my experience...if you wrap it tight enough.

Another alternative...if the bar tape is too thick to allow the plug into the bar end...wrap from the top down to the brake hood, and then a seperate piece from the bottom up to the brake hood. Secure them under the brake hood with the adhesive tape.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-18-20 at 09:50 AM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 01-18-20, 05:01 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
IME, wrapping top down works with thin or cloth tape. I like thicker tape, and find that my hands roll up the edges of the tape when wrapped this way.
Likes For MikeWMass:
Old 01-18-20, 05:07 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Use a clamp like this to hold a partially done tape job. I like to step back and look at it from different angles to see if it looks even and consistent.
Old 01-18-20, 05:45 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I like the looks of cloth wrap like Newbaum's, but also like wrap a a bit thicker with some padding. I usually get what ever cheaper padded wrap I find on sale and then wrap over that with Newbaum's, choosing the color depending on the bike. Also, I like wrap without the adhesive strip. Sometimes that can be easily pulled off, sometimes not.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-18-20, 07:47 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06

Wrapping is a skill and I wouldn't expect your first time to be perfect, but it can be pretty good if you take your time.
A lot of wraps are too slippery for me - I like cork like Cinelli or perforated like Fizik, with a little padding and a little grippiness.
Old 01-18-20, 07:51 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Wrapping is a skill and I wouldn't expect your first time to be perfect, but it can be pretty good if you take your time.
A lot of wraps are too slippery for me - I like cork like Cinelli or perforated like Fizik, with a little padding and a little grippiness.
thanks for the insight!
Old 01-18-20, 08:23 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,741 Times in 2,762 Posts
One tip I picked up from here.... If you use electrical tape to finish it off, which I do, the inclination is to pull it tight, or stretch it as you apply it. Its natural tendency is to shrink back up, and you'll see that result a few weeks down the road. Make it a nice tight finish, but don't stretch it, then cut it. You'll be much happier.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 01-18-20, 08:48 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
I do many leather wraps and its maybe the most challenging to wrap and have stay in place.
Using a under layer adheasive tape or double sided will really help keep any wrap in place and add an extra layer of wrapping.
Old 01-18-20, 09:33 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I tape strips of old bar tape under my new tape in stategic spots, gives extra padding where I want it without needing a narrower selection of overly thick tape where I don't. Similar to gel pads. Types of material and even differences in brands and textures are a VERY personal choice. I've used tapes of various cost levels that seemed to be exactly what I desire based on marketing and reviews and they totally sucked and I had the exact opposite experience.

Last edited by u235; 01-18-20 at 09:40 PM.