Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic Vs mechanical brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hydraulic Vs mechanical brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-23, 11:05 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,990 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4

All perfectly justified, of course, because someone said they like their rim brakes.
I don’t think anybody has a problem with you liking rim brakes. It’s the uninformed drivel you insist on writing about disc brakes that people complain about.

You always seem to pop up on threads about modern tech like disc brakes, electronic shifting for no other reason but to deride it.

If I don’t like something and I have no interest or experience of it then I don’t see any point in commenting. What’s your point in this discussion?
Old 02-09-23, 11:09 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You have added nothing but distraction to this thread.
Uh-huh. How do you stand on Brussels sprout posts?
Old 02-09-23, 11:11 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by PeteHski
If I don’t like something and I have no interest or experience of it then I don’t see any point in commenting.
Except regarding my posts, apparently.
Old 02-09-23, 11:12 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4934 Post(s)
Liked 8,075 Times in 3,817 Posts
Why are you guys so insistent that I change my opinion? Based on posts on an internet forum? That's just really weird. Like...almost cult-like.
You're missing the point. No one is saying you should change your opinion. Commenting that a disc brake maintenance issue has "dissuaded" you from disc brakes is disingenuous. Your opinion was already made up a long time ago.
Old 02-09-23, 11:15 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4934 Post(s)
Liked 8,075 Times in 3,817 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Used to hate them with a passion until I had them at a restaurant where they were deep fried so they were crispy, coated with tiny pieces of bacon, gorgonzola in a balsamic dressing. Utterly delicious. Order them every time now. Even I can change my opinion (no inadvertent reference to smd4 ).
That sounds delicious...except for the Brussels sprout part. There are other foods that I have grown to love, like, and tolerate over the years. Brussels sprouts aren't one of them. That opinion is unwavering.
Old 02-09-23, 11:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
You're missing the point. No one is saying you should change your opinion. Commenting that a disc brake maintenance issue has "dissuaded" you from disc brakes is disingenuous. Your opinion was already made up a long time ago.
I heard the head of Shimano was "dissuaded" from putting SRAM on his personal bike when he read that SRAM brakes use DOT fluid.
Old 02-09-23, 11:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
That's why they call it confirmation bias i.e. your opinion was fixed before you even read it. If someone said disc brakes were no hassle you would just ignore it.
How about an opinion from someone who doesn’t have confirmational bias and works hard not to fall into that trap? If someone told me that disc brakes are “no hassle”, I most certainly would ignore them or argue against their point as I have is this thread. There is a lot different information that you need to know to make them work correctly. You have to consider adapter sizes…which are often not clear which adapter is needed for which rotor. There’s also the rotor size to consider. There are also about 300 different brake pad configurations that need to be considered…far more than rim brakes, for example, use by about 300 times. Lever type and lever throw, frame mount type, etc. They are more complicated because they are far less standardized than other brakes.

Add in the bleed issue of hydraulics and the complication increases several fold. Add to that the different fluid systems and complication is increased even more. Add in hose changes and/or length adjustments and it becomes extremely hard to say that disc brakes have “no hassles”.

Personally, I don’t like bleeding the damn things because it is messy, time consuming, and fraught with places where the whole process can go wrong and needs to be repeated. I recently was involved in a new brake install of a set of brand new Shimano 105 road levers that took 2 hours with multiple attempts to bleed that didn’t work. There was a leak that may have be caused by a tear in a diaphragm. We are sure because we could find the area of the leak but couldn’t see any tears in the diaphragm after disassembly. Other bleeds I’ve done certainly aren’t simple, hassle free, nor quick.

I’ve worked with discs…both hydraulic and mechanical. I have had them on multiple bikes. I would never say they are “hassle free”. Nor would I say that they are particularly more effective.

IME they are very good. Generally better than rim brakes in situations where braking performance actually matters. A no-brainer for technical alpine descents, much less important on flatlands. Maybe overkill for some. Also if you happen to have carbon wheels, it's nice not to be grinding them down with brake pads. Carbon doesn't get on well with heat either.
If you are going to throw “comfirmational bias” at other people, you should check your own at the door. I’ve been doing off-road “technical alpine descents” since 1984. I did them with cantilevers. I’ve been doing high speed “technical alpine descents” on roads for nearly 10 years before that. I’ve never found the latest and greatest brake technology to be all that much different in terms of effectiveness over cantilevers. I still do loaded touring bike high speed “technical alpine descents” with cantilevers. They work just like disc do. Neither one is superior in my opinion. Braking is less about the mechanism than it is about the way you use the mechanism. Most people know crap about braking to begin with.

​​​​​​​Worried about brake bleeding? I wouldn't. You don't need to do it often (a bit like your car) and if you can't be bothered it's a quick shop job during a service. I've never had to bleed my oldest road disc brakes (2019) and typically bleed mtb brakes once every couple of years as required. Pad changes vary depending on riding conditions. I wore out a set of SRAM organic pads in a week riding in the Alps (should have switched to sintered for that trip really). Same pads locally last all year with plenty of short, steep descents. Changing pads is a 5 min job.
Again, let’s be realistic about hydraulic brakes and brake bleeding. If it is something that you feel the need to “take it to the bike shop” to do maintenance, it’s not that simple a procedure. I know that lots of people take their bikes to shops to have tires fixed but I can at least teach them how to do a tire fix in a few minutes. I can’t teach someone how to bleed brakes in a few minutes.

As to pad wear, I honestly don’t know what you do to go through a set of any kind of pad in a week. I have thousands of miles of loaded 4x4 road touring on my discs and have yet to wear out a set of disc pads. I have thousands of mountainous miles of loaded touring on rubber rim pads and seldom wear them out. I agree that changing pads is fairly simple for disc…both hydraulic and mechanical…but I just don’t understand how they need to be changed weekly or even yearly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-09-23, 11:32 AM
smd4

You're missing the point. No one is saying you should change your opinion.
It's EXACTLY what some people are saying.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
New information should change one's opinion? To one degree or another, yes
The ridiculous part is that 50PlusCycling's comment had zero effect on smd4's opinion about disc brakes.
Old 02-09-23, 11:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Again, as someone who has actually done maintenance on hydraulic disc brakes, the maintenance issue is what dissuaded me from using hydraulics.

The touchiness of the brakes didn’t do much for me either. Hydraulics are the only brake I have ever had to really think about while using them. I never experienced the oft claimed “superior modulation” of hydraulics. “Modulation” to me means being able to apply a little bit of brake or a lot and everything in between. Hydraulics have always been an on/off affair for me.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-09-23, 12:01 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The touchiness of the brakes didn’t do much for me either. Hydraulics are the only brake I have ever had to really think about while using them. I never experienced the oft claimed “superior modulation” of hydraulics. “Modulation” to me means being able to apply a little bit of brake or a lot and everything in between. Hydraulics have always been an on/off affair for me.
It sounds like hydraulic disc brakes aren't for you. Maybe hydraulic brake fans find them tolerable because they have more manual dexterity?
Old 02-09-23, 12:35 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by cyccommute

If you are going to throw “comfirmational bias” at other people, you should check your own at the door. I’ve been doing off-road “technical alpine descents” since 1984. I did them with cantilevers. I’ve been doing high speed “technical alpine descents” on roads for nearly 10 years before that. I’ve never found the latest and greatest brake technology to be all that much different in terms of effectiveness over cantilevers. I still do loaded touring bike high speed “technical alpine descents” with cantilevers. They work just like disc do. Neither one is superior in my opinion. Braking is less about the mechanism than it is about the way you use the mechanism. Most people know crap about braking to begin with.
I don’t need any confirmation. Like you I’ve got many years of experience with all types of brakes. Your experiences are somewhat different to mine, but I’m not going to argue about that.
Old 02-09-23, 12:49 PM
PeteHski

Except regarding my posts, apparently.
I have both experience and interest in the things you were deriding in your posts. That’s why I commented. I only post on things I either know something about or have an interest to learn more about.
Old 02-09-23, 01:04 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,028 Times in 4,469 Posts
Uh-huh. How do you stand on Brussels sprout posts?
After the first few posts where the question was answered and the OP expressed thanks, the Brussels sprouts are the best part of yet another thread that has devolved into rim vs disc, or anti hydraulic disc, at least.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-09-23, 01:12 PM
smd4

I have both experience and interest in the things you were deriding in your posts. That’s why I commented. I only post on things I either know something about or have an interest to learn more about.
What "things" have I "derided?" Pete, Pete, Pete. You may not have confirmation bias, but you are delusional.

I made my first post on page 5, when I simply wrote "You forgot ugly and inelegant." An opinion I still have. And that's it. You really think my personal opinions about the looks of disc brakes is deriding?

Wow.
Old 02-09-23, 01:27 PM
PeteHski

What "things" have I "derided?" Pete, Pete, Pete. You may not have confirmation bias, but you are delusional.

I made my first post on page 5, when I simply wrote "You forgot ugly and inelegant." An opinion I still have. And that's it. You really think my personal opinions about the looks of disc brakes is deriding?

Wow.
You have derided Disc brakes and other modern bike tech many times and in many threads. All without any personal experience. I’m not exactly the only poster to have noticed this.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-09-23, 01:29 PM
smd4

You have derided Disc brakes and other modern bike tech many times and in many threads. All without any personal experience. I’m not exactly the only poster to have noticed this.
I have personal experience using them. I don't like them. What's the damn problem?
Old 02-09-23, 01:33 PM
tomato coupe

Wow.
That's pretty much the definition of "deride":

de·ride
/dəˈrīd/
Learn to pronounce
verb
verb: deride; 3rd person present: derides; past tense: derided; past participle: derided; gerund or present participle: deriding

express contempt for; ridicule.
Old 02-09-23, 01:41 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That's pretty much the definition of "deride":
I think you guys are just overly sensitive.

It'll be OK. I promise. Your brakes don't really care what mean ol' smd4 thinks about them.
Old 02-09-23, 01:44 PM
tomato coupe

I think you guys are just overly sensitive.
I don't really care what you say, but you look pretty foolish trying to claim you didn't deride something when you quote the post where you actually did deride it.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-09-23, 01:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
That sounds delicious...except for the Brussels sprout part. There are other foods that I have grown to love, like, and tolerate over the years. Brussels sprouts aren't one of them. That opinion is unwavering.
Now who ever said, “Never say never”?

Old 02-09-23, 01:45 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I don't really care what you say, but you look pretty foolish trying to claim you didn't deride something when you quote the post where you actually did deride it.
I don't see it as derision. I'm not that sensitive. Saying something is ugly or inelegant is in no way expressing ridicule or contempt. It's an OPINION. Something only people on the right team are allowed to have.

Last edited by smd4; 02-09-23 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-09-23, 01:52 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I don't see it as derision. I'm not that sensitive.
It's ironic that you call out others for being too sensitive while you're the one pulling a hissy fit when your opinions are challenged.

I think there's a word for situations like these. Mirroring? No that's not it.. Reflexing? Nah, that's not it either. Deflating? It'll come to me.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-09-23, 01:53 PM
tomato coupe

I don't see it as derision.
Of course you don't.
Old 02-09-23, 01:54 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by elcruxio
It's ironic that you call out others for being too sensitive while you're the one pulling a hissy fit when your opinions are challenged.
Hissy fit? Hyperbole much?

Again with the wanting me to change my opinion to conform? When will it end!?
Old 02-09-23, 02:11 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Hissy fit? Hyperbole much?

Again with the wanting me to change my opinion to conform? When will it end!?
What would you call it?

No one here has wanted to change your opinion. The fact that you feel posters here have tried to make your opinions conform is worrying..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.