Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Good reasons for owning an inexpensive hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-15, 11:04 AM
DBrown9383

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We bought very inexpensive Schwinn network 3.0 bikes this spring and have been really enjoying them. I am ready to upgrade to a better bike but there are some very good reasons to keep the Schwinn.. First of all, it's not as bad as most everyone would lead you to believe. The Shimano Tourney set works great and once wheels are true and brakes are set up properly the bike is smooth and quiet. The suspension seat post and forks are not the best but they DO absorb sharp bumps. We took a ferry to an island and all the bikes were stacked against one another on the back of the boat. I would NEVER have allowed that with an expensive bike. We don't lock these bikes wherever we go,not that we want them to be stolen but at less than $200 a piece it's not a huge loss if they are. It's no big deal to get nicks and scratches. My bike rack for the back of the car works great but there always seems to be some part of one or both bikes that will rub on something and scratch the finish. I use foam blocks and bungie cords but sometimes no matter what I do, there are contact areas that I don't see or that develop once on the road. Cheap bikes are a good platform for learning how to work on the mechanicals. Parts are inexpensive and I don't worry about damaging an expensive hub or BB wrenching on it myself. These cheap bikes will make great spares for guests. We have a lot of bike paths near us so when friends and family visit we will have rides for them. I'm sure there are other reasons to own a cheap big box store bike but these are just a few. Most everyone will tell you to never buy a bike online or from a big box store because they are junk.. This is mostly true however I have found the quality of these Chinese Schwinns to be acceptable for their price point.
Old 08-20-15, 11:29 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Its a big box store Schwinn:

Its comparable in value to the Huffy/Murray that were the cheap department store bikes of a few decades ago. Its nowhere in the league of IBDS channel Schwinns. Something to think about if you decide to buy one.
Old 08-20-15, 11:36 AM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, it's a low quality inexpensive bike for sure.
Old 08-20-15, 12:15 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I rode one for six years (still have it) and can't find one bad thing to say about it, except that it was too small for me.
Old 08-20-15, 12:22 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I went in the opposite direction, bought 2 nice bikes for myself first. Later wound up buying 2 cheap but reliable bikes for guests.
Old 08-20-15, 02:32 PM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I rode one for six years (still have it) and can't find one bad thing to say about it, except that it was too small for me.
I've only owned mine 5 mo. but like you, I can't find one bad thing to say about it. It's never broken down or even had a flat tire. Amazon screwed up when I ordered it so in the end I paid just $160 for it delivered after a good will partial refund. I guess the worst thing about it is the flak I get from serious cyclists. It doesn't have a free hub/cassette but the 7 speed freewheel has a good range of gears. The granny gear is super low. It's even got shimano trigger shifters instead of the twist grips found on most bikes in this price range. The components are shimano's lowest grade but hey, some of the big box store bikes have no-name components. The V-brakes work well once adjusted properly. The wheels need trued right out of the box but one would expect that. It has cheap plastic pedals but they haven't failed yet and spin easy. I want a better bike but this thing really isn't the awful dreaded throw away Schwinn that everyone is warned about. Maybe I'll keep it and upgrade the group set to Dura-Ace Di2 just to make people mad

Last edited by DBrown9383; 08-20-15 at 08:19 PM.