Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Just another day on PEI

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Just another day on PEI

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 05:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
I'm upgrading my video camera - tired of using no-name action cameras with suspect battery life & having to selectively turn them on/off to save battery... and forgetting if it's on or off at any given moment. I miss some stuff because of that.

So - the new camera is basically a "dash cam" for bikes and has a claimed run time of 7 hours.

Cycliq Fly 12 should be here early next week.
the camera seems like it should hold up, but the IP56 & 32–113°F is limiting for those moist & cold days
Old 04-16-23, 05:42 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
It's from Australia... they probably think that's cold.

LOL

I will post my thoughts on it for sure.
Old 04-25-23, 07:58 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

The camera has arrived and I really like it. I like the fact you can add "tram lines" to the videos to show where the 1 meter of space exists in space in front on the bike. Yu tell the software how wide the bars are, how high off the ground the camera is mounted and how far from the stem (either side) the camera is mounted and it does the math.

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/LGrCPv3e4ZI

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/k1T56rozfSU

(no point adding tram lines to this one... it wasn't a pass that was close to the bike. Not the same thing for the on-coming car!)
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/1m9X0xGQJaY
Old 04-25-23, 08:35 AM
Bearhawker

Forgot the one gripe I have so far with the Cycliq: the software allegedly allows Strava overlays for HUD info like speed, cadence, HR, a map etc

I say "allegedly" as no matter what I do I cannot get it to work. I've followed their instructions - even the ones sent to me from the support team when I opened a ticket with them. I've asked for more info but have so far not heard back from them (subsequently I've found that their support is less than awesome)

I've only found one person with a YT video where the Strava overlay is working. I've asked that person to consider a how-to demo/tutorial, suggesting that it would be a popular video as no one else seems to be able to get it to work!

It's not a deal-breaker for me as otherwise I absolutely love the unit and what it does.
Old 04-25-23, 10:20 AM
Choorliez

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my personal experience, I have been able to successfully use the Strava overlay on my Cycliq device by following the instructions provided by Cycliq's support team.

I bet the issue you're facing could be specific to your device or settings, and the tutorial may provide some helpful insights.

Moreover, my interactions with Cycliq's support team have generally been positive. They have been responsive and helpful in resolving any issues I've had in the past.

So Idk, maybe just a misunderstanding.
Old 04-26-23, 11:06 AM
Bearhawker

They have requested a copy of my video and .GPX file which I have submitted so things are moving along. Hopefully to a resolution!
Old 04-28-23, 01:21 PM
Bearhawker

Ok - looks like the issue is resolved and it was MY end. NOT Thirs.

A couple of seemingly random things lined up to clobber me and my efforts - neither of which were immediately obvious:

1) on Strava.com my location was set correctly for the city I live closest to, but the time zone was off. For whatever reason Strava thought that where I live on PEI was actually in some place called Pago_Pago which turns out to be closer to Australia than anywhere else. All my activities on Strava showed the correct time and date so that wasn't obvious.

2) the CycliqPlus desktop app only works on Windows and Mac. I have neither. So I am running Win10 in a VM on one of my Linux machines. During the setup, Windows accepted my location and - unbeknownst to me - decided the location was in a timezone exactly 12 hours offset from reality. So everytime I looked at the time on my WIndows machine (set to 12 hour clock) it was right, but exactly wrong. Nice.

Both those issues were corrected and I did a couple of "walk around the yard pretending to be riding" tests - no joy.

Today I went for an actual ride and....

SUCCESS!

currently rendering video (you can only do 1 segment at a time... I have 20, 3-minute segments...)

woot
Old 08-12-23, 03:19 PM
Bearhawker

Yesterday's fun.

Old 08-12-23, 08:36 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Driver was clearly not doing due diligence checking for the road to be clear, and I couldn't tell if the car came to a full stop or not. I'm curious why you cut the corner so tightly though, especially with the road conditions as they were. I'll bet the car's A pillar blocked the driver's sight of you all the way in.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 08-13-23, 03:24 PM
Bearhawker

Driver was at a complete stop. If she hadn't been stopped I would have aborted the turn

On that corner if you don't cut it a little you go off onto the gravel shoulder. It also aims the bar-mounted front light toward the driver but in this case to no avail as she claims she didn't see me. Or the 400 lumen flashing light.

Best-possible outcome though all things considered... I rode the bike today on the same route with no excitement.

(The bike will be going back to the shop tomorrow to deal with the new noise when the cranks go around...)
Old 08-16-23, 03:38 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I've surely cycled the circumference of the earth (at the Equator) since ~1970 when I really started riding the roads as a (young) adult. NYC ... DET ... PDX ... have never hit or been hit by heavy iron out among the heathen. I don't need a camera because a camera doesn't guarantee what I need guaranteed: the continued ability to cycle my way through life. Hopefully the op can put as many uneventful miles behind them as I have, but it doesn't look like they are off to a great start. TL/DR; I think Airzounds are obnoxious, and overkill, BUT if you are going to cut corners short in front of SUV's and want to give them some warning, then IMO an Airzound is more useful than your own voice. Especially in bad weather when visibility will be poor and the enemy vehicle will have all its windows up ...

Last edited by Leisesturm; 08-16-23 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-16-23, 04:17 PM
Bearhawker

I don't see how cutting the corner matters here. I've already stated why I do it.

I'm happy for you you've had much better luck than I have.
Old 08-16-23, 05:46 PM
Leisesturm

I don't see how cutting the corner matters here. I've already stated why I do it.

I'm happy for you you've had much better luck than I have.
So ... let's say you or your bike had been seriously hurt in that crash ... how would this video have helped you collect $$$ from her insurance company? It might have been the other way around. Sure looks to me (what do I know) like you rode into her, and not her into you. Where I come from, that is case closed, end of story. Cutting the corner matters. Why you do it doesn't matter. I, and I'm sure, many others, could make that corner properly and NOT go careening off onto the gravel shoulder <smh>. I don't have better luck. Luck has nothing to do with it. I would have been riding like an aged grandmother crutching to the mailbox on an icy day. Zero lean in the corner. Riding a single track vehicle is an exercise in probability. Not a game of probability. That implies no influence on the outcome(s). As an exercise in probability you have considerable influence on the outcome(s). But, you do you.
Old 08-16-23, 09:00 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
You lucky you live in a place that's only slightly less populated than the moon. If you cycled in Vancouver I reckon you'd be dead by now riding like that.
Old 08-17-23, 07:47 AM
Bearhawker

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
So ... let's say you or your bike had been seriously hurt in that crash ... how would this video have helped you collect $$$ from her insurance company? It might have been the other way around. Sure looks to me (what do I know) like you rode into her, and not her into you. Where I come from, that is case closed, end of story. Cutting the corner matters. Why you do it doesn't matter. I, and I'm sure, many others, could make that corner properly and NOT go careening off onto the gravel shoulder <smh>. I don't have better luck. Luck has nothing to do with it. I would have been riding like an aged grandmother crutching to the mailbox on an icy day. Zero lean in the corner. Riding a single track vehicle is an exercise in probability. Not a game of probability. That implies no influence on the outcome(s). As an exercise in probability you have considerable influence on the outcome(s). But, you do you.
The car driver is 100% at fault. The video literally proved it to the police and the driver's insurance adjuster has contacted me today.

I'm not sure how you don't understand that the driver who failed to yield the right of way to a vehicle approaching from the right, while she was stopped at a stop sign, isn't in the wrong.
Old 08-17-23, 09:14 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
This is why I *never* ride without my video !
WHEW! You are one fast rider!
Old 08-17-23, 10:17 AM
Bearhawker

Originally Posted by Roughstuff
WHEW! You are one fast rider!
That was on my Norco Bigfoot 6.1 with my "skinny" 4" "road" tires. 28T chain ring.

Averaged 24km/h on that bike most rides.

Fast? No.

Fast for a fatbike? Maybe

lmao
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 08-17-23, 02:43 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
This is why I *never* ride without my video camera.
That's why I never:

1. Ride without a rear view mirror (and LOOK at it), and...

2. Ride on roads like that anymore.

Glad you didn't get hozed on the road OR in the parking lot.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-17-23 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-17-23, 08:32 PM
Leisesturm

The car driver is 100% at fault. The video literally proved it to the police and the driver's insurance adjuster has contacted me today.

I'm not sure how you don't understand that the driver who failed to yield the right of way to a vehicle approaching from the right, while she was stopped at a stop sign, isn't in the wrong.
Whatever. The video proved nothing of the kind to me, and I'm not the only one. Driver is not 100% wrong. Not in my state. In fact, there was once a similar high profile crash over here involving a popular member of the cycling community and owner of a recumbent bicycle shop. Because she was given some portion of responsibility for the crash her medical expenses ($44K) were on her, and she had some damages to pay ($4K) on the car she hit. Crowdfunding took care of the $$$ but nothing could restore her to before accident physical and mental health. She took her own life two years after the accident.

There is such a thing as defensive driving/riding and you didn't practice any in that situation. I'm wondering if you do, in fact, practice any defensive riding at all. If it satisfies you that the drivers insurance will make things right, rock on. To me it kind of seems like buying stuff because you can get a tax write-off. If you don't buy it in the first place you can get an even bigger deduction because the tax write-off is only good for about 20% of your purchase! Wouldn't it have been better not to get into an accident in the first place? What, you don't think that was possible? We'll have to agree to disagree on that one ...
Old 08-17-23, 09:33 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by retswerb
Driver was clearly not doing due diligence checking for the road to be clear, and I couldn't tell if the car came to a full stop or not. I'm curious why you cut the corner so tightly though, especially with the road conditions as they were. I'll bet the car's A pillar blocked the driver's sight of you all the way in.
Driving my car home from work I have two places where even cars approaching from my right on a cross street hide behind my A pillar. The only cure - come to a COMPLETE STOP and wait five full seconds. I am amazed at how many times oncoming cars were completely invisible to me for a couple of seconds perfectly eclipsed by the pillar. It would cause an accident every month if I wasn't aware of it.

2003 Camry BTW
Old 08-17-23, 10:25 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
It looks like you were going to the car's RIGHT side. You're in the wrong as usual. WTF.
Old 08-18-23, 01:03 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Driving my car home from work I have two places where even cars approaching from my right on a cross street hide behind my A pillar. The only cure - come to a COMPLETE STOP and wait five full seconds. I am amazed at how many times oncoming cars were completely invisible to me for a couple of seconds perfectly eclipsed by the pillar. It would cause an accident every month if I wasn't aware of it.

2003 Camry BTW
I have an '02 Nissan Frontier - hardly a big truck by modern standards, but boy do those A pillars get in the way. I've learned to lean my body forward to make sure I get an unobstructed view. I've also learned to do what it takes to stay out of the A pillar blind spot as both a pedestrian and a cyclist.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 08-18-23, 07:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts

What did your video "prove" to the police about your lack of at least partial responsibility ("fault") for the collision?

The video you posted indicates if not "proves" to me that you were making a poorly executed left turn in poor visibility conditions that looked as if you were originally intending to ride behind the rear of the car but were riding too fast (in the rain) to go behind or respond correctly to the car moving forward and altered the angle of your turn and rode right into the side of the car.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-18-23, 08:50 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
I have an '02 Nissan Frontier - hardly a big truck by modern standards, but boy do those A pillars get in the way. I've learned to lean my body forward to make sure I get an unobstructed view. I've also learned to do what it takes to stay out of the A pillar blind spot as both a pedestrian and a cyclist.
when I approach an intersection, the first thing I try and judge….am I obscured by the door jamb whatever. Much less a problem out here in MAGA country, but worth the effort.
Likes For Roughstuff:
Old 08-18-23, 09:32 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Roughstuff
….am I obscured by the door jamb ...
If you can't see the driver's eyes, that's a big clue. Even if you can see their eyes does not mean they see you.