Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Paris

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-23, 11:17 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Paris

Might be interesting to some here:

https://slate.com/business/2023/03/p...ry-france.html
Old 03-30-23, 03:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
I saw this, fascinating

NYC is trying to be the first U.S. city to introduce congestion pricing, hoping to significantly reduce the numbers of private auto's who's drivers see the need to use cars to get around the city. Possibly the biggest complainers about this are residents of what is known as the outer boroughs. It has to pass the state legislature and I think it's stuck there currently. It's an idea whose time has come, it's used widely throughout cities around the world.
Old 04-05-23, 08:53 AM
realdahon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting.
Old 04-07-23, 03:45 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
I live not far from Paris but everytime go to the office in Paris ,cyclists are very disrespectful towards pedestrians.The bikes that are for rent are heavy and not very manoeuvrable. A lot of accidents with cyclists every day.
Old 04-07-23, 03:59 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I understand the need to reduce congestion but this would be just one more social transaction in which you receive special privileges if you can afford to pay for them.
Old 04-08-23, 11:43 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
I live not far from Paris but everytime go to the office in Paris ,cyclists are very disrespectful towards pedestrians.The bikes that are for rent are heavy and not very manoeuvrable. A lot of accidents with cyclists every day.
Really? I live in Paris (10eme, and have to regularly ride between the 4eme and the new Campus Condorcet), and I would say that over the last couple of years this has noticeably changed with the big increase in cycling. Above all, I would have said that when there were fewer cyclists, pedestrians would treat the bike lanes like they were extensions of the trottoir, so would step into them randomly. I would rarely use the pistes because of that. Now that cyclists are more numerous, pedestrians (mostly) stay to the trottoir, cyclists (mostly) stay in the pistes, and the number of conflicts per kilometer of my commutes has decreased.
Old 04-08-23, 12:27 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Originally Posted by RChung
Really? I live in Paris (10eme, and have to regularly ride between the 4eme and the new Campus Condorcet), and I would say that over the last couple of years this has noticeably changed with the big increase in cycling. Above all, I would have said that when there were fewer cyclists, pedestrians would treat the bike lanes like they were extensions of the trottoir, so would step into them randomly. I would rarely use the pistes because of that. Now that cyclists are more numerous, pedestrians (mostly) stay to the trottoir, cyclists (mostly) stay in the pistes, and the number of conflicts per kilometer of my commutes has decreased.
The cyclists I have seen near the Champs Elysées andCharles De Gaulle Etoile never respect the pedestrian green lights. Also the velib are horrible and heavy bikes to ride , also les voies sur berge or the riverside lanes have made the car traffic an absolute nightmare, also don't park a nice bike in Paris or it will be stripped off or robbed.

Last edited by georges1; 04-08-23 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-08-23, 01:38 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
The cyclists I have seen near the Champs Elysées andCharles De Gaulle Etoile never respect the pedestrian green lights. Also the velib are horrible and heavy bikes to ride , also les voies sur berge or the riverside lanes have made the car traffic an absolute nightmare, also don't park a nice bike in Paris or it will be stripped off or robbed. [img]chrome-extension://bpggmmljdiliancllaapiggllnkbjocb/logo/48.png[/img]
I *almost* said that the 16eme and 8eme are absolutely hostile to cyclists. Even though I spend far more time riding north-south and out toward Vincennes and thus avoiding Etoile, over the years I've had roughly as many close calls in the 8th and 16th than the others combined, and I ride the same way as I do in those other parts of Paris -- so I don't think it's me.
Old 04-08-23, 02:28 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by RChung
I *almost* said that the 16eme and 8eme are absolutely hostile to cyclists. Even though I spend far more time riding north-south and out toward Vincennes and thus avoiding Etoile, over the years I've had roughly as many close calls in the 8th and 16th than the others combined, and I ride the same way as I do in those other parts of Paris -- so I don't think it's me.
I ride more near St Germain en Laye, Maisons Lafitte,Poissy,Suresnes and Rambouillet sometimes Versailles.