Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cycling champion dies after being struck by driver in the Presidio (SF)

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cycling champion dies after being struck by driver in the Presidio (SF)

Old 04-12-23, 11:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i understand your point, perhaps mine was not well worded. more generally i am responding to the tendency to refer to incidents in which cyclists are killed or seriously injured by cars and their drivers are completely accidental with no fault or negligence ascribed to the driver, or with little or no mention of the fact that the vehicle which struck someone was pointed at that someone by a human driver.

Thanks for the response. I do think we are entering an era where the control of the vehicle by a human is not a given, so there may need to be some wording changes in headlines to make that distinction.

Here's the type of headline I find truly offensive:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...h/69953860007/

"

"2 killed, 19 injured in Goodyear bicycle crash: What we know so far"

The "bicycle crash" occurred when a man drove his pickup over group-riding bicyclists.

BTW, "killed by driver" makes a lot more sense than "hit by driver".
The bicycles were definitely not the instruments of carnage, calling it a bicycle crash really misleads as to where the danger originated.
Old 04-12-23, 12:32 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Here we go, A&S at its finest. Instead of perhaps discussing this champion cyclist’s accomplishments, the A&S crowd finds hairs to split and nits to pick.

Closed.