Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

bike lanes are not for cars.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 06:35 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts

this is a first for us we were on our tandem.
NSFW - language

Last edited by BillyD; 04-17-23 at 07:52 AM.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 04-15-23, 07:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
I've heard of cars making a goof on separated bike lane. You'd think all the green paint would be a clue, although once they turn in, there may not be any easy exit other than going straight. That car didn't appear to be driving unreasonably fast.

In other places I prefer simple painted bike paths with the idea that it works like a road shoulder, and a vehicle can intrude on the path when there aren't any bikes around.
Old 04-15-23, 07:53 PM
fooferdoggie 

there is a parking lot on the left and the dividers have gaps for cars to cross. no none of the traffic that street is fast as its closed a little ways ahead.
Old 04-15-23, 08:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
i think the beeping was supposed to censor the profanity...
Old 04-15-23, 08:15 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Troul
i think the beeping was supposed to censor the profanity...
thats the camera beeping. ya a few cusswords were used.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 04-16-23, 01:51 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Obviously the OP is not in NYC. This is everyday occurrence. Taxi's regularly use bike lanes in Manhattan, it's a running joke, you get so used to it you forget to curse out the idiots.
Old 04-16-23, 03:14 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Obviously the OP is not in NYC. This is everyday occurrence. Taxi's regularly use bike lanes in Manhattan, it's a running joke, you get so used to it you forget to curse out the idiots.
this is nothing I see cars on bike paths way too often mostly homeless but still.
Old 04-16-23, 04:51 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Not enough profanity.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 04-16-23, 05:29 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin
That wasn't a few cusswords. The tandem rider blasphemed the holy name of Jesus Christ. The driver of the car didn't apparently do anything as foul as that. This bicyclist demonstrated low character. What I heard was carelessness, impulsiveness, and irresponsibility, on the part of the video maker. I'm not surprised that a person of such character showed moodiness and irritability when dealing with a small problem because they often have trouble coping with even minor challenges. However, it is important to note that personality traits are not fixed or absolute. People can change and improve their character over time by learning from their mistakes, seeking feedback, developing self-awareness, and practicing positive habits. Of course, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Oh, Please !. Well it is Sunday, so time for a sermon.
Old 04-16-23, 08:10 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
It is bad to have a car in the bike lane. It is also sad to have only one bike in the bike lane. We all should work harder to encourage more people to bike and practice active transportation.
Old 04-16-23, 08:11 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by debade
It is bad to have a car in the bike lane. It is also sad to have only one bike in the bike lane. We all should work harder to encourage more people to bike and practice active transportation.
this is a fairly busy bike lane but it was later on Saturday so not used as much. most people are on the sidewalk along the rider that day.
Old 04-16-23, 08:57 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo
Not enough profanity.
. The value of profanity has declined significantly in my lifetime, to the point it has no effect on most targets and only serves to diminish the speaker.
Old 04-16-23, 09:23 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate !@$%^#*&<?/#*. (I will admit I can use some salty language too).

I've seen cars on a MUP before which I figure was due to someone unfamiliar with the area and the GPS telling them to turn right in X amount of feet. I'd give the driver of this car the benefit of the doubt as it looks like this may be the case.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-17-23, 06:29 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Did the video get deleted I don’t see it
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-17-23, 06:33 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,781 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
No, but the forum has recently been having some intermittent issues of YouTube videos not showing up for some forum members. IB is aware and looking into it.

Old 04-17-23, 11:47 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
If you QUOTE the original post, the link will show up and you can copy & paste it into a new tab. HTH.
Old 04-17-23, 11:49 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
I'll bet all that driver saw was a clear lane. 🙄
Likes For Korina:
Old 04-17-23, 12:23 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Just as I enter the "car lane" infrequently and intermittently, I would imagine that cars would use the bike lane "infrequently and intermittently" as well. Road space is precioussss and shouldn't be wasted. I find buses much more annoying than bike lane violators, but of course buses are a protected species among the urban transit glitterati, so they must be tolerated.
Old 04-19-23, 11:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
Just as I enter the "car lane" infrequently and intermittently, I would imagine that cars would use the bike lane "infrequently and intermittently" as well. Road space is precioussss and shouldn't be wasted. I find buses much more annoying than bike lane violators, but of course buses are a protected species among the urban transit glitterati, so they must be tolerated.

Your anti-bus thing is just weird. Buses are there because people rely upon them for transportation, and the more people who do so, the less likely they are to add a car onto the "preciouss" road space. You seem to think there's some elitist bias towards using buses or something ("gliterati:"???). For mass transit advocates, it always seems to me to be the solution when no other mass transit is practical.

As to your point about car encroachment onto bike lanes being the same as bikes going into "car lanes", that's just ridiculous. I'm no threat to a driver when I put my bike in the "car lane", but the car sure is a threat to me when driven into the bike lane.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-19-23, 01:07 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Your anti-bus thing is just weird. Buses are there because people rely upon them for transportation, and the more people who do so, the less likely they are to add a car onto the "preciouss" road space. You seem to think there's some elitist bias towards using buses or something ("gliterati:"???). For mass transit advocates, it always seems to me to be the solution when no other mass transit is practical.

As to your point about car encroachment onto bike lanes being the same as bikes going into "car lanes", that's just ridiculous. I'm no threat to a driver when I put my bike in the "car lane", but the car sure is a threat to me when driven into the bike lane.
I'm not anti-bus, I just am not going to wail endlessly about motor vehicles obstructing cyclists/traffic on the one hand, and praise a monstrosity like a bus. We forget that except for peak periods, buses are as empty as cars are, in terms of how much road space they gobble up. In addition, as I point out: they veer into the bike lane/parking lane/whatever is the politically correct name for that lane/ CONSTANTLY, and then have the audacity to suggest that we have some kind of obligation to let them do so (and re-enter traffic as well. ) I would love to see what would happen if trucks started doing the same thing just for sh*ts and giggles.

As for your other point..a car is a threat to you in the bike lane..but a BUS is not?

It does remind me though of the conversation between Meathead and Archie Bunker in one of the show Archie says, "and if you don't think a car is a weapon you ain't never driven a cab buddy!"

And I love your strident defense of the word BRIFTER.

Last edited by Roughstuff; 04-19-23 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-20-23, 04:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I'm not anti-bus, I just am not going to wail endlessly about motor vehicles obstructing cyclists/traffic on the one hand, and praise a monstrosity like a bus. We forget that except for peak periods, buses are as empty as cars are, in terms of how much road space they gobble up. In addition, as I point out: they veer into the bike lane/parking lane/whatever is the politically correct name for that lane/ CONSTANTLY, and then have the audacity to suggest that we have some kind of obligation to let them do so (and re-enter traffic as well. ) I would love to see what would happen if trucks started doing the same thing just for sh*ts and giggles.

As for your other point..a car is a threat to you in the bike lane..but a BUS is not?

It does remind me though of the conversation between Meathead and Archie Bunker in one of the show Archie says, "and if you don't think a car is a weapon you ain't never driven a cab buddy!"

And I love your strident defense of the word BRIFTER.

Buses are nearly completely predictable, and I can easily keep out of their way until I can pass them. They stop periodically, and have doors on the right side of the vehicle. You can easily pass them on the left when they are stopped. BFD. And I've never seen a bus driver do what the op shows in the video.

I have done a lot of urban riding, and I can count on one finger the number of times I've had a close call with a bus. I've had a lot more trouble with "monstrosities" like trucks, vans and SUVs.

Where the hell are you riding where it's easier to deal with trucks than buses? I really can't take you seriously, you're a crank on this subject.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-20-23, 02:13 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Buses are nearly completely predictable, and I can easily keep out of their way until I can pass them. They stop periodically, and have doors on the right side of the vehicle. You can easily pass them on the left when they are stopped. BFD. And I've never seen a bus driver do what the op shows in the video.

I have done a lot of urban riding, and I can count on one finger the number of times I've had a close call with a bus. I've had a lot more trouble with "monstrosities" like trucks, vans and SUVs.

Where the hell are you riding where it's easier to deal with trucks than buses? I really can't take you seriously, you're a crank on this subject.
In reverse order...an assortment of cities that I pass through on tours. But the most common are Providence RI, Springfield Ma and some cities on the west coast bike route. Also numerous foreign cities where busses are often "bendy" and more courteous than they are in the USA. I

It's been a LONG time since i rode in a city though...deep in the countryside for the last few years and foreseeable future.

Buses sure are predictable, i'll give ya that. You can count on them cutting into your lane at almost every street corner, and a good number of mid-block stops as well. Of course you can pass them on the left...never underestimate the ability of a bus to force you into the car lane (which of course is not sacrosanct like Bike lanes "are.") And of course pedestrians (shielded by the bus till the last second) crossing in FRONT of the bus (often in a crosswalk) are fun to deal with as well. And enjoy the nice massive blow of exhaust from the engine in the back when they struggle to cut back into traffic and accelerate to 10 MPH. Stop-and-go transit is hardest on engines and emissions, so please let's make sure we use as many buses as possible.

Oh what fun it is to ride....

Last edited by Roughstuff; 04-20-23 at 02:16 PM. Reason: damn its vs it's!
Old 04-20-23, 02:30 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Bike lanes are good for drivers who don't like to follow cyclists.

I don't play leap frog with buses. Instead, I follow them. Where there's a bus, drivers change lanes. So buses help mitigate drivers following me.
Old 04-20-23, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

In reverse order...an assortment of cities that I pass through on tours. But the most common are Providence RI, Springfield Ma and some cities on the west coast bike route. Also numerous foreign cities where busses are often "bendy" and more courteous than they are in the USA. I

t's been a LONG time since i rode in a city though...deep in the countryside now.

Buses sure are predictable, i'll give ya that. You can count on them cutting into your lane at almost every street corner, and a good number of mid-block stops as well. Of course you can pass them on the left...never underestimate the ability of a bus to force you into the car lane (which of course is not sacrosanct like Bike lanes "are.") And of course pedestrians (shielded by the bus till the last second) crossing in FRONT of the bus (often in a crosswalk) are fun to deal with as well. And enjoy the nice massive blow of exhaust from the engine in the back when they struggle to cut back into traffic and accelerate to 10 MPH. Stop-and-go transit is hardest on engines and emissions, so please let's make sure we use as many buses as possible.

Oh what fun it is to ride....

Well, old timer, guess you missed the point when they put the exhaust at the top so it doesn't blow back . How many decades has it been since you actually had to ride around buses?

Sorry, but all you're exposing here is some serious skill deficiency on your own part. Somehow, I'm able to anticipate where the bus us going to be and select my lane position accordingly--it's almost like they have fairly regularly spaced stopping points and signs posted telling you where they're going to pull in and stop.. You're not going to convince me that riding around buses is difficult. Unlike you, I do it fairly frequently, and it just isn't a real problem.

Random delivery trucks, semis with huge blind spots, and impatient car and SUV drivers are just as likely or more to cross my path, and less regular in where they are going to do so.

I don't know what your problem is with buses, but you sure don't know what you're talking about. The exhaust comment proves that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-21-23, 10:03 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Well, old timer, guess you missed the point when they put the exhaust at the top so it doesn't blow back . How many decades has it been since you actually had to ride around buses?

Sorry, but all you're exposing here is some serious skill deficiency on your own part. Somehow, I'm able to anticipate where the bus us going to be and select my lane position accordingly--it's almost like they have fairly regularly spaced stopping points and signs posted telling you where they're going to pull in and stop.. You're not going to convince me that riding around buses is difficult. Unlike you, I do it fairly frequently, and it just isn't a real problem.

Random delivery trucks, semis with huge blind spots, and impatient car and SUV drivers are just as likely or more to cross my path, and less regular in where they are going to do so.

I don't know what your problem is with buses, but you sure don't know what you're talking about. The exhaust comment proves that.
Only an environmentalist would suggest that moving an exhaust pipe 6 vertical feet would “solve” the exhaust/pollution problem. The latter improvement is largely due to switching to natural gas fuel. Of course envirowhackjobs now don’t like NatGas because it crimps their electric vehicle fantasies.

in any case though the folks on this thread HAVE made it clear to me that navigating in and around busses doesn’t present that much of a problem. One small step for mankind!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.