Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to cycle on radioactive roads?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Is it safe to cycle on radioactive roads?

Old 05-16-23, 08:29 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sorry, but I really think you're in "we should discuss NASA's plans for asteroid defense here because there's a nonzero chance that I could get hit by a meteorite while riding" territory.

No one here is competent to answer the basic questions you raise on this forum and I would suggest it makes a lot of sense to tell people to look elsewhere for answers rather than opening this forum for debates on the entire planet's agricultural system and other big proposals people have been trying to smuggle in here.
I didn't start this thread and I'm not looking to smuggle anything anywhere. And I would certainly agree that no one here is competent to answer the questions raised.

What we have here is a politically powerful industry that produces vast quantities of really filthy waste. They've been looking for ways to get rid of that waste for decades. So now they want to stick it into paving materials. They say it will be well dispersed so there's no worry. Trust us.

I'm honestly just puzzled as to how such a scheme can be readily dismissed as being of no concern to the people who use those roadways. Y'all have a lot more faith in these folks than I do. I'm not spending my days worrying about it, but I wouldn't readily accept anything the phosphate industry puts forth. I'm surprised anyone would.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-16-23, 09:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I'm honestly just puzzled as to how such a scheme can be readily dismissed as being of no concern to the people who use those roadways. Y'all have a lot more faith in these folks than I do. I'm not spending my days worrying about it, but I wouldn't readily accept anything the phosphate industry puts forth. I'm surprised anyone would.
No one actually said that, it's just not of special concern to cyclists and we're really not competent to have anything tp say other than "I don't trust this". As for what the big concerns are, the article was quoting the environmental activists who are opposing this, and they didn't mention anything other than groundwater and construction workers. Pretty sure that's not taking the phosphate industry word for it.
Old 05-16-23, 03:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
I think it's pretty clear that there's a legitimate issue here. But it's not related to bicycling on those roads.

If the mods are reading this, maybe a move to P&R where we can take the gloves off makes sense

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-18-23, 05:34 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Theoretically it is dangerous, but the mutated mosquitoes, alligators and Burmese pythons will get you first. Unless, of course, you crash and get road rash.
Old 05-18-23, 05:50 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I think it's pretty clear that there's a legitimate issue here. But it's not related to bicycling on those roads.

If the mods are reading this, maybe a move to P&R where we can take the gloves off makes sense
I wonder what makes people feel the need to play internet cop.
Old 05-18-23, 05:59 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Anticipating the wannabe "moderators" ...

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
(I didn't know whether to post this here or in P&R, but since the latter is a club that I am not a member of, and since there is nothing even remotely political in the motivation for anything happening in Florida these days, A&S is really the only choice available.)
Old 05-19-23, 08:16 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
It sounds like the good voters of Florida are getting what they want out of their elected officials.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-19-23, 08:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Pratt
mutated... alligators,,, will get you first.

Florida Godzilla!
Old 05-19-23, 11:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I wonder what makes people feel the need to play internet cop.
I wonder what makes people want to claim something is a cycling issue when it clearly isn't just so they can drag a poorly informed political debate into a bicycling forum.
Old 05-19-23, 01:51 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I wonder what makes people want to claim something is a cycling issue when it clearly isn't just so they can drag a poorly informed political debate into a bicycling forum.
I said my piece and was going to leave this alone, but if y'all are going to keep kvetching ....

My contention is that riding on roads paved with hazardous waste materials is a legitimate concern for cyclists.

You don't agree, so it must be political. And therefore no one should be allowed to read it.

Poorly informed? The refutation of my contention is based on a single sentence in a single article in the internet. But you're absolutely certain that cyclists should not be concerned about hazardous wastes under their tires.

smh ....
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-19-23, 04:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I said my piece and was going to leave this alone, but if y'all are going to keep kvetching ....

My contention is that riding on roads paved with hazardous waste materials is a legitimate concern for cyclists.

You don't agree, so it must be political. And therefore no one should be allowed to read it.

Poorly informed? The refutation of my contention is based on a single sentence in a single article in the internet. But you're absolutely certain that cyclists should not be concerned about hazardous wastes under their tires.

smh ....
I didn't say no one should see it, I said it belongs in a forum that's either political and/or competent to handle the technical issues. This forum is neither.

The refutation of your contention is based on one more sentence than your contention is. The level of radiation involved is so low that your contention is completely groundless. We're talking about parts per billion in the material itself divided by the parts per billion of airborne particles on the road being inhaled by the cyclist. You can contend all you want, it's still absurd. SMH x2.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-19-23 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-19-23, 04:29 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The problem is that contaminated dust, when inhaled and deposited in the lungs, presents far more of a risk than does (radioactive) dust in the wind.

I also know you know this, and you are just being obtuse for entertainment (?) purposes.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 05-19-23 at 04:33 PM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-19-23, 04:30 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

smh ....
Exactly. Thank you for stating this so clearly, and in terms that can only be dismissed with considerable efforts and intellectual contortion.
Old 05-19-23, 04:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The problem is that contaminated dust, when inhaled and deposited in the lungs, presents far more of a risk than does (radioactive) dust in the wind.
All you're doing here is demonstrating your ignorance of probability.

The problem with that is that a tiny proportion of a miniscule amount is essentially nothing. Your chances of inhaling any dust from the road are virtually zero, but even if you do, the chances that the dust you actually inhale contains any radioactive particles is also virtually zero. Virtually zero times virtually zero is not a probability worth worrying about. No one seriously interested in the topic is stating this risk is of any concern, instead focusing on much larger risks to construction workers and groundwater contamination. The only reason you two are focusing on this particularly silly scenario is because you're desperate to make the topic relevant to cycling. I'll note that you admitted in the OP that the only reason you posted it here was because you aren't able to post it in p&r.
Old 05-19-23, 04:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Exactly. Thank you for stating this so clearly, and in terms that can only be dismissed with considerable efforts and intellectual contortion.

Old 05-19-23, 05:57 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I'm a chemist. You are a lawyer (albeit one with an abnormally low reading comprehension.)

I will give you credit for some idiot-logic consistency; it wasn't that long ago you were telling everyone SARS-CoV-2 wasn't spread by airborne transmission.

Stick to what you are bad at.
Old 05-19-23, 06:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm a chemist. You are a lawyer (albeit one with an abnormally low reading comprehension.)

I will give you credit for some idiot-logic consistency; it wasn't that long ago you were telling everyone SARS-CoV-2 wasn't spread by airborne transmission.

Stick to what you are bad at.
Whoa, holy ad hominem fallacy,dude! And a big ass lie in it to boot.
Don't care if you're a chemist, what you're saying is objectively stupid and you can't defend it except to categorically lie about what I said about a completely different subject. I was convinced very early that COVID was spreading by indoor airborne transmission and rarely if ever outdoors. In hindsight, that appears to be about 100% correct. I can't remember, but were you the fool who was babbling about clouds of viruses floating from town to town like volcanic ash?

Go ahead Mr. Chemist, tell us exactly how much radioactive material can one expect to inhale in a lifetime of riding a bicycle on a road only partially constructed from very weakly radioactive material. Start by explaining just how much pulverized road surface you calculate will be kicked up by the tires towards your nose and mouth, and what percentage of that will be inhaled, and what percentage of that inhaled dust will be radioactive, and how long it would take for that amount to be any more than the background radiation one absorbs constantly due to living anywhere on planet earth. Assail my logic, not my credentials. Show your math. Claiming to be a scientist doesn't make anything you've asserted scientifically valid.
​​​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-19-23, 06:48 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 182 Posts
12 posts after you took offense to my pedantic comment, here we are. Irony?
Old 05-19-23, 06:48 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 182 Posts
13 posts...
Old 05-19-23, 07:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PhilFo
Anyway, I’m out. Feel free to continue at your leisure.
12 posts after you took offense to my pedantic comment, here we are. Irony?
13 posts...

Pot, kettle, black.
Old 05-19-23, 08:21 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
Excuse me? Cyclists are going to have some of the highest exposure because we aren't in air conditioning and we're riding on the shoulder where the dust ends up.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-19-23, 08:24 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

PS: https://www.bikeforums.net/21839499-post33.html
Old 05-19-23, 10:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Seriously? You think it's transmitted outdoors between cyclists not riding together? At this point, there's no excuse for that, outdoor distance transmission has been proven to be nearly impossible.
So, either you are out and out lying or you really don't have any reading comprehension.

I am not going to relitigate that thread, but that doesn't deny in any way that COVID is airborne. I even stated that at that time (2020), I wouldn't draft out of caution. But I defy you to cite any documented case of transmission from one cyclist to another at a distance in an outdoor setting.
Quote directly exactly where I supposedly denied airborne transmission. I double dog dare you. All I said was dispersal pattern modeling based on walking people was useless in predicting the dispersal pattern of cyclists.

You directly lied about what I said, the fact that you would do that rather than defend your inane assertions in this thread speaks volumes about your dishonesty and intellectual weakness.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-19-23 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-19-23, 10:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Kontact
Excuse me? Cyclists are going to have some of the highest exposure because we aren't in air conditioning and we're riding on the shoulder where the dust ends up.

Yes, and bicycle tires are infamous for grinding pavement into dust and kicking it up. Seriously, do you guys really not understand how little pavement dust is getting kicked up into the air, let alone inhaled? I see piles of sand on the edges of the road where I live, but that's because they dump in on the ice and snow. That stuff doesn't go airborne because I ride over it from time to time and there's a fair amount of it. Pretty sure there's not a lot of piles of ground up pavement on the side of any road I've ever seen.
Old 05-19-23, 10:46 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
What? Me worry... I still wear a mask in crowded places against Flu, Bugs, Colds, Bacteria, and BAD BREATH. But that's me... As a health care provider I have been wearing a mask or cravat for one reason or another for over 55 years. Over seas if for nothing else but to keep the fly's outta your mouth and nose. Googles too...

Now as to Radiation in the OP: Who knows... I am sure the guy in the picture did not ride his bike as long as he would have liked...

gettyimages - Hiroshima 1945

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.