Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The other side of the windshield

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 05-13-23, 02:00 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts

Sorry, I didn't know where else to put this, but I had to put it somewhere. It's an episode of The War on Cars podcast called The Driver. I found it difficult to listen to but it has stuck with me, and I thought you guys may get something useful from her story.

This show usually focuses on the victims of traffic violence, and that is where the focus belongs. But in this episode, we hear the first-person story of a woman, Shane Snowdon, who killed someone with her car.
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-14-23, 07:15 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I read the transcript. I'm sure listening to the audio would be even more upsetting.
Old 05-14-23, 11:16 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
One line that really stood out was from the host at 11:16.

"When you kill someone with a gun you deal with the criminal justice system. When you kill someone with a car you deal with an insurance company."