Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Specialized Rockhopper???

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 05:42 PM
Mich33

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[SIZE=4]Hey guys! I'm new to the mountain bike scene and I'm looking at getting a Specialized Rockhopper. I will be riding single tracks and gravel trails. Any comments on this bike or good starter bikes under $900? I'm 6'3" and know I need an XL frame. Thanks Guys
Old 05-16-13, 05:58 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Rockhopper is a little more upscale than the basic entry level mountain bikes. Yes, it's a good bike to start out on. You'll probably get a bunch of other hits here with folks telling you their favorite brand is better, but it's your choice and the Rockhopper is a good one.
Come to think of it, I started out on a Rockhopper.
Old 05-17-13, 10:13 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still have my first Rockhopper - although the frame is newer. I bought the bike in 1985, frame cracked and it was replaced (by Specialized) in 1987. The bike was passed around to a few folks and is now back in my garage. I updated it alittle and now use it as my commuter bike. I don't think you can go wrong with the bike. Specialized stands behinds its product so if something becomes a problem they will take care of it. The bike itself is just built to last.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-17-13, 04:39 PM
Mich33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the replys!!!
Old 05-17-13, 04:43 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mich33
[SIZE=4]Hey guys! I'm new to the mountain bike scene and I'm looking at getting a Specialized Rockhopper. I will be riding single tracks and gravel trails. Any comments on this bike or good starter bikes under $900? I'm 6'3" and know I need an XL frame. Thanks Guys
My first bike as an adult was a Rockhopper. I hardly ever ride it now but it feels like an old friend so I'd rather keep it for the few times a year I do ride it than sell it. It's done me well for everything from roads to towpaths to bridlepaths to battling through mud (the worst conditions I rode through were an inch or two of water over another 2-3 inches of wet mud).

Check the standover height before you choose a frame. Based on my height my bike shop thought I'd want a 23" frame but when I stood over it I realised that if I had to dismount in a hurry the top tube was going to meet parts of me that weren't designed for meeting top tubes like that, so I went for the 21".
Old 05-17-13, 07:23 PM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many people start out on rockhoppers, b/c they have alot of name recognition. That being said they are good bikes to start out on. You can get better spec'd bikes if you look at other brands. Specialized tends to be a little high priced in my opinion.
Old 05-18-13, 08:16 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mich33
A Rockhopper is a very good bike, especially to start out on. I would also research other popular brands besides Specialized because some bikes in the price-point offer better componentry than others.

I had my mind set on a Rockhopper but after doing some research I found other bikes that had slightly better componentry. The thing about this is that every bike, regardless of price-point, have their "attractive quality." You could have two bikes at the same price-point and one manufacturer will offer a better fork while another offers a better set of brakes or derailleur, etc. It basically boils down to which component is the most important to you.

If you're not particular on name brands, check out bikesdirect.com or Sette. Some of those bikes offer very good components for the money. The downside is that both of these sources are online retailers so you'd be taking a chance on whether the bike would be a proper fit for you.
Old 05-19-13, 01:41 AM
josruu

Bikes: 2012 Bianchi Impulso 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a rockhopper a couple of months ago and I'm very happy with it but I'm a newbie for MTB.
im 184cm tall and got the 19" frame and it fits me perfect.

compared to the very cheap other MTB I've had the rockhopper is a revolution
Old 05-19-13, 02:40 AM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rockhopper's solid, but I'd also highly recommend you try out as many bikes in your price range as you can. All of them will have slightly different geometry, which means that some will ride a little better or worse depending on your body's proportions and your personal riding style.
Old 05-20-13, 08:23 AM
Mich33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again for all the help guys! I will definitely take all your suggestions into consideration!!