Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Kickr core cassette

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Wahoo Kickr core cassette

Old 05-27-21, 12:32 PM
Scottrw2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wahoo Kickr core cassette advice required

Hello,

I have just ordered a Wahoo Kickr Core and I’m a bit confused as to what cassette to buy. My bike is a 2013 Felt Z85 which is 20 speed with the cassette being a Shimano 105 11-30t which seems impossible to find. So if I used a different ratio such as 11-28t will I have any shifting problems?

apologies for the noob question, this is my first venture into indoor cycling/Zwifting.

thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Scottrw2002; 05-27-21 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Change description
Old 05-27-21, 01:27 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
ratio won't matter too much as long as it fits with your RD and chain length. get somethign close enouhg. also, make sure you get the same number of cogs, that is really the important part.

i put an 8 speed cassette on mine and it is pretty close to what i have on my wheel.
Old 05-27-21, 01:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A 2 tooth difference in your largest cog is not going to make any noticeable difference. Just make sure you install a 10-speed cassette and the appropriate spacer.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-27-21, 05:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Please give us a review of how you like it. If I had known I was going to spend so much time in the garage this year, I would have gotten a smart trainer. The Kickr Core is one of the ones I'm looking at.
Old 05-28-21, 03:35 AM
Scottrw2002

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, that's the news I was hoping for. I'll be ordering an 11-28t today!

Sure thing Caloso, it wont be for a few weeks unfortunately as I'm in the process of moving house and can't get set-up until I'm in my new place.
Old 05-28-21, 10:14 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
heck, i'll give you a review of mine. although i have teh kicker i think the only diff between that and the core is that the core doe snot come with a cassette and it might have slightly less resistance. the kicker can apply resistance to simulate a 20% grade and can handle 2KW both of which i will really never do, expecially teh power.

i use it regularly in winter and ideally once a week in summer just a little interval training. i tried zone 1 and 2 rides outside but i invariabley kick up the effort, force of habit. having the trainer keep me in a narrow power range is helpful. i use zwift in winter and my own app in the summer.

it is set up in the garage and has not been a problem at all on a concrete floor. i do put cardboard down to protect the concrete after noticing a few puddles. i started using the free whaoo app and althoguh it does everythign i needed at the time i lost interest in it becasue i had to keep touching it just to control power. that is when i got the crazy idea of making my own app. the kicker came wiht a cadence sensor which i did not expect, i later added a HRM. i don't have a bike pwoer meter so it was really nice to see that kind fo feeback.

the kicker has been nearly flawless for me, late last winter it was making a periodic noise that i determined to be the fly wheel making contact with the plastic housing but that was easily remedied. i still do not like the little crappy plug they provide for power. i always thoguht it would break off when unpluggin git so now i keep it plugged into the wall along with my laptop and they are both on a wall switch so i really never need to touch the kicker except to dust it off from time to time.
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-29-21, 07:53 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I was looking at the power badges on zwift, and I have all of them. Because of the occasional glitch. On my original kickr, that gets me up to about 1300 watts for a couple of pedal strokes, but zwift counts it. The most power I have put out for any period of time is less than 900 watts.