Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you carry a chain tool on your rides?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you carry a chain tool on your rides?

Old 06-20-21, 10:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I would much rather carry a chain tool and fix a broken chain then rely on my cell phone to call somebody to pick me up. It feels good to be self sufficient.
I am not talking to you but to the OP.

Old 06-20-21, 10:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I would much rather carry a chain tool and fix a broken chain then rely on my cell phone to call somebody to pick me up. It feels good to be self sufficient.
I am not talking to you but to the OP. It’s not always about you. Besides, I have been self sufficient my entire life whether it is cycling or making enough to retire early. AND I carried a chain tool for 3 dozen years but wheels are so much better constructed, if you can afford good ones, you don’t need to carry one. Haven’t had a wheel out of true in 17 years, but don’t ride crappy streets either.

Last edited by rsbob; 06-20-21 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-21-21, 05:17 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I am not talking to you but to the OP. It’s not always about you. Besides, I have been self sufficient my entire life whether it is cycling or making enough to retire early. AND I carried a chain tool for 3 dozen years but wheels are so much better constructed, if you can afford good ones, you don’t need to carry one. Haven’t had a wheel out of true in 17 years, but don’t ride crappy streets either.
Old 06-21-21, 08:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
It's a simple tradeoff, risk/reward analysis or roll of the dice decision. I don't carry a chain tool. However I can call an Uber because I do carry my cell phone. I could carry a chain tool, and have that sitting in my pocket for years and years of rides, going unused but for the unlikely eventuality, but choose not to. Aside from flat tire parts/tools, this tool has sufficed for years of day-riding. Other tools I don't carry = 8mm (pedal) hex, bearing extractor, pliers, wheel truing stand, peening tool, torque wrench, etc. If I toured, I'd probably do something different.

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-21-21, 11:18 AM
Windsore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Google - The essential bike tool kit, Craig Davis. I can't post a link, not enough opinion.
Likes For Windsore:
Old 06-21-21, 11:26 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I've used the chain-tool on my multi-tool about 5 times over the years. At least twice from a snapped chain, 2 other times from other mechanical mishaps requiring a quick on-the-fly single-speed conversion.

I always bring a multi tool, and after those previous experiences, all my multi-tools have a chain breaker.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 06-21-21, 11:34 AM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
People still use chain tools? I went to quik links a while back. That chain tool is tiny and just spread the link.

https://www.gearx.com/kmc-11s-quick-...All%20Products
Old 06-21-21, 12:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by afm199
People still use chain tools? I went to quik links a while back. That chain tool is tiny and just spread the link.

https://www.gearx.com/kmc-11s-quick-...All%20Products
You might want to think this through....
Old 06-21-21, 01:05 PM
afm199

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You might want to think this through....
Honestly, I'm open to any comments, as far as thinking it through, I'm not entirely sure what angle you are coming from. I carry a spare link and quick link tool, and in fifty years of bicycling plus have never needed a chain tool on a ride.
Old 06-21-21, 01:14 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Honestly, I'm open to any comments, as far as thinking it through, I'm not entirely sure what angle you are coming from. I carry a spare link and quick link tool, and in fifty years of bicycling plus have never needed a chain tool on a ride.
If you're carrying a quick link tool that is a chain tool.
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 06-21-21, 01:18 PM
afm199

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
If you're carrying a quick link tool that is a chain tool.

It is indeed, it's a twisted piece of wire that weighs about an ounce. This thread has been about chain breaker tools that punch pins.

Here it is. https://www.amazon.com/Caija-H-Break...303209&sr=8-19
Thanks.
Likes For afm199:
Old 06-21-21, 01:27 PM
mgalginaitis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I remember my small tool bag, I carry a Park CT-5, and is what I usually use at home as well.
Old 06-21-21, 02:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Think about breaking a chain, what it will look like. You won't be able to fit the quick link w/o having a way to remove another pin.
Old 06-21-21, 05:20 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quick links are great for removing your chain (to clean it, strip down your bike, etc) and for putting a new chain on, but for roadside repairs (My chain got bent! My chain snapped! My derailleur is busted and I need to shorten my chain) that involve damage to your chain anywhere except right next to the existing quicklink, you will probably need to break out at least one of the old slow-links. And while there are various bodges and get-arounds for that, the easiest way to do it is to use a chain-breaker tool.

I don't think anyone on this thread is advocating using a chain-tool to put a chain back onto the bike as a roadside repair, although I have found myself doing that in the past; for modern chains (ie, anything more than a 6-7spd) where the pins are flush and mushroomed into the plate, it's actually unsafe to put them back together with a multi-tool.

The one that comes on the Crank Bros multitool also doubles as a spoke key (which again, is a tool you won't need on most rides, but on that one where you do need it, you'll be kicking yourself you didn't bring it) so the "weight penalty" really isn't an issue.

I have used every tool on this multi-tool on a ride. Even the teeny-tiny allen keys; I think I've used them to poke holes in plastic wrap or something, but the point is, it's all been used.
Old 06-21-21, 09:57 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Stoped carrying more repair equipment than flats after cell phones and uber became ubiquitious.

Had to use it once to, came out to find my ulock refused to unlock and didn't want to walk back to my car several miles away. Carrying tools to bteak a lock and steal my own bike around just in case that happens again seems a bit excessive when uber exists. Suppose I could follow up on the other guys suggestion of carrying a folding bike on every trip...lol...

For something that might happen once on 10 or 20 years, doesn't seem worth it to carry tools I probably won't remember how to use when needed anyways.

edit: lol not diving into the bait below, but it is funny how bikeforums (or probably any forum) you always get a minimalist (no bags, no rack, only jersey pockets) or a everything-and-the-kitchen-sink thing.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 06-22-21 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-21-21, 11:15 PM
Leinster

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Stoped carrying more repair equipment than flats after cell phones and uber became ubiquitious.

Had to use it once to, came out to find my ulock refused to unlock and didn't want to walk back to my car several miles away. Carrying tools to bteak a lock and steal my own bike around just in case that happens again seems a bit excessive when uber exists. Suppose I could follow up on the other guys suggestion of carrying a folding bike on every trip...lol...

For something that might happen once on 10 or 20 years, doesn't seem worth it to carry tools I probably won't remember how to use when needed anyways.
The multitool in my post literally right above yours is probably cheaper than the surge-pricing uber ride you will take back to your car. And if you forget how to use it you can always use your cell phone to look up a how-to vid on youtube. (Beside which, forget how to use a chainlink tool? Seriously? Do you wear slip-on shoes for a week and forget how to tie laces?).

As frustrating as a seized u-lock must be, I don't think it's a valid justification for not carrying a 6oz multi-tool in your saddlebag.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 06-24-21, 12:19 AM
captkkk

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only bring with me a little bag with a multi-size spanner, multi-size allen keys, that's it.
Old 06-25-21, 09:37 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The presence of tools could be preventing breakdowns. You can test this hypothesis by leaving them at home some time and seeing if your car or bike breaks down.....
I agree. I have a chain tool on my multitool and also carry a Wolf Tooth Pack Pliers w/2 quick links. I haven't needed them, but I'm sure I'll have a problem if I left them home. The extra 1.35 ounces also gives me a solid excuse for being slow. I consider it a win-win for me.

Last edited by MAK; 06-27-21 at 10:06 PM.
Likes For MAK:
Old 06-25-21, 09:45 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The presence of tools could be preventing breakdowns. You can test this hypothesis by leaving them at home some time and seeing if your car or bike breaks down.....
Can confirm. I only had one spare tube on my road bike because it's not my gravel bike and I never need more than one tube, right? The other day I pinch flatted and of course the spare tube didn't hold air. Luckily a group ride came along and someone hooked me up.

Related: I made it rain earlier this week by getting all my gear prepared the night before so I could get up early and go for a ride before it got hot. Naturally we got intense thunderstorms that morning.
Old 06-25-21, 10:01 AM
Cakonopka

Bikes: Cube Attain Pro 2020

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't carry one but after taking a link out and putting it back in I think I might squeeze one in my bag if I can.
Old 06-26-21, 07:16 PM
drahimi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In sixty years of riding -- including a marathon from London to Rome -- I have never needed one. So, I don't carry one, even on long tours.
Likes For drahimi:
Old 06-27-21, 10:01 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Actually not only do I have that chain tool on my multi tool, I carry several other tools as well. I simply dont like to walk home.
Old 06-28-21, 05:41 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Yes, fortunately I have never used it.
- earlier version of the Topeak mini PT30
Old 06-28-21, 06:04 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
I carry a chain whip..............when I'm in a Devo sort of mood.
Likes For seypat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.