Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Carbon seatpost install questions.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 09:43 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts

I just got a new Niner RDO carbon seatpost and am installing it on my Fuji Traverse. Should I get some carbon paste? I’ve been reading that it’s a good idea to avoid slippage later? What’s a good brand? I saw some reports that the Park Tool paste may be too gritty and scratch? Also, am I OK with any steel/aluminum collar/clamp as long as I tighten it to spec?

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-08-21, 09:52 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWasabi
I just got a new Niner RDO carbon seatpost and am installing it on my Fuji Traverse. Should I get some carbon paste? I’ve been reading that it’s a good idea to avoid slippage later? What’s a good brand? I saw some reports that the Park Tool paste may be too gritty and scratch? Also, am I OK with any steel/aluminum collar/clamp as long as I tighten it to spec?

Thanks for any input.
Use a carbon paste of your choosing. The Park grip gel is indeed a little gritty for tight fits. The benefit to using a grip paste is that you don't need to tighten to max spec to prevent movement. I use the stuff on slippery alloy/alloy interfaces as well, like quill stem handlebar clamps.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 07-08-21, 10:08 AM
MrWasabi

Thanks for the input,

I’ll pick some up. Thinking about this Finish Line:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012RIEM6...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-08-21, 10:58 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I don't bother with paste. Never needed it. torque to 5nM and go.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 07-08-21, 11:44 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
As always, YMMV.

I've had greased alloy posts slip in steel frames with the clamp bolts tightened to 50 in/lbs slip.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 07-08-21, 11:45 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
I use paste personally whenever coming across carbon but that is me. Park Tool is probably fine but I believe in past uses I used Fiber Grip from Finish Line. Make sure to use a good torque wrench most importantly.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-08-21, 12:31 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Use a carbon paste of your choosing....The benefit to using a grip paste is that you don't need to tighten to max spec to prevent movement.
Always tighten to recommended torque. And, yes, use paste.

Terrible advice. Use paste. Carbon will slip. Also, random torque specs from the internet are dangerous...too loose, too tight, probably not right....torque to the manufacturers spec. Always.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 07-08-21, 07:17 PM
MrWasabi

Thanks again for the great input everyone,

Do I just apply a light coat of carbon paste inside the seat tube about an inch or so in before I slide the seatpost in?
Likes For MrWasabi:
Old 07-08-21, 10:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWasabi
Thanks again for the great input everyone,

Do I just apply a light coat of carbon paste inside the seat tube about an inch or so in before I slide the seatpost in?
That is basically it, at least for bikes that use an external seat post clamp like the Fuji Traverse.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-09-21, 11:14 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Always tighten to recommended torque. And, yes, use paste.

Terrible advice. Use paste. Carbon will slip. Also, random torque specs from the internet are dangerous...too loose, too tight, probably not right....torque to the manufacturers spec. Always.
I guess over 20,000 miles on two different bikes is an anomaly. Lucky me.
Old 07-09-21, 12:03 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I guess over 20,000 miles on two different bikes is an anomaly. Lucky me.
Reminds me of something someone once said to me: "Better to be lucky than good." All jokes aside, you are indeed either lucky, or lucky that your 5Nm is the correct torque spec for your binder and seat post. I've got a couple of bikes (combined) with somewhere north of 100,000km with carbon seat posts, and all 5 of them have slightly different torque specs, and when I wing it, even with paste, the posts tend to fall a bit. I guess I am not lucky. As an aside, not one has a recommended torque under 6Nm.

So to you good madam or sir, a tip of the hat and a glass raised to you, because you aren't wasting time with paste and a torque wrench.

Again, OP, use paste and follow the recommended torque specs. We aren't all this lucky.
Old 07-09-21, 03:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Not mentioned is the galvanic corrosion aspects of carbon posts in many frame materials. Some sort of assembly coating (paste, grease, anti seize) to make removal possible after a year of neglect is strongly suggested. As to tightening torque- I've been told by a number of people smarter then I am that the torque specs for bike parts are generally the MAX and not the MUST DO levels. If a bit less then the listed spec works, the post stays put in use, then there's no reason to max the tightness out (and some why less but good enough can be better). Andy
Old 07-10-21, 08:20 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
As to tightening torque- I've been told by a number of people smarter then I am that the torque specs for bike parts are generally the MAX and not the MUST DO levels. If a bit less then the listed spec works, the post stays put in use, then there's no reason to max the tightness out (and some why less but good enough can be better). Andy
+1 . I've often understood that the torque rating is simply what the manufacturer is saying what their bolt (material and thread size) can withstand without stripping. A seatpost clamp maker, has no idea what material seatpost you're actually going to use, or how it was made (unless it's some proprietary shape where you have to use a specific brand/model seatpost), nor the rider's weight, and therefore has no idea what the seatpost itself can withstand or what's required to avoid slippage.