Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

How much do rocker plates improve comfort on an indoor trainer?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

How much do rocker plates improve comfort on an indoor trainer?

Old 03-02-21, 07:53 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
But yeah, it would somehow feel wrong to stop and take a break at the top in Zwift.
Last night, I rode Alpe du Zwift and started my avatar back down the hill. And then went to dinner. When I got back, my avatar was stopped in the middle of a crowd. "I know what you're up to you cheaters"

Makes my numbers look better on strava
Old 03-06-21, 10:15 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I don't pretend to know what other people should and shouldn't find 'worth the money.' I do know that I find Zwift's workouts to be incredibly stupid in that they penalize you for normal cycling behaviors, like shifting in your saddle.

Breaks are helpful; given that I'm not doing 3-hour races on Zwift, doesn't really impact me if I take a few off the bike to let blood flow properly, stretch, etc. And that includes some kinda-sorta aggressive TT-ing; you lose about 15 seconds when you stop/start on Zwift. Maybe less if you time it on the crest of a 'hill.'

One of the things I like about Rouvy is that freewheeling and other normal cycling behaviors are easy (for me) to incorporate into my rides.
Old 03-06-21, 01:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by Danhedonia
I don't pretend to know what other people should and shouldn't find 'worth the money.' I do know that I find Zwift's workouts to be incredibly stupid in that they penalize you for normal cycling behaviors, like shifting in your saddle.
Are you specifically talking about erg mode workouts? Erg mode is a bit weird, but that's not zwift's fault. Free riding in zwift shouldn't penalize you for not pedaling. Although it does seem like you stop pretty quick on flat ground, which doesn't feel right. It's clear their physics model is a bit crude and inaccurate, but for my needs it's close enough.
Old 07-07-21, 12:12 AM
gadgetgram
Gadgetgram

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The KOM Cycling RPV2 is a full-motion rocker plate designed for indoors cycling trainers that helps riders move with their indoors bike by offering both front and back movement as well as side-to-side movement to their cycling trainer.

To be even more specific, the KOM Cycling RPV2 is basically the company's second-generation rocker plate, which is based on their already popular RPV1 Rocker Plate (which is their previous and original rocket plate model).

That said, in addition to the 13 degrees of horizontal float already offered by the company's original RPV1 Rocker Plate, the RPV2 also adds a total of nine inches of forward and aft motion (fore/aft movement) to their bike. Thanks to that, indoor riders are able to move better with their bike rather than against it, and that basically helps to decrease static pressure on your joints while you crank out your indoor sessions on indoors cycling trainer, no matter if you own a Zwift, a TrainerRoad, or even a Wahoo SUF.

So, with all that said, let's have a more detailed look at this full-motion rocker plate and check out everything it has to offer to those who are passionate about indoors cycling trainers.
If you want to know more visit our website : Gadgetgram
Old 07-30-21, 03:06 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
I was in the same boat -- 40-50min tops. I dialed in the fit a little more and replaced the saddle, which helped, but even with a new saddle (a Fabric) I top out at 80-90min without having to move around somewhat. So yeah, I'll hit pause or stand here and there. The foam under the trainer trick looks interesting -- how does it feel during out-of-the-saddle sprints?
Yeah, I get to an hour and I'm shot. I've got a Wahoo Kickr Core with the flexible feet sitting on a spongy training mat, sitting on cork flooring. When I lift up off the set after 30-40 min. I can feel the blood rush back into the pressure points. At 60 min. I feel like I'm doing damage. I can go ride my gravel bike on paths outside of Boulder and I don't notice anything after an hour. Probably just need to move to something else, like my WaterRower after an hour.
Old 08-02-21, 10:08 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
My build was around $150 and I paid way to much for my marin grade plywood and truck liner paint. Could have done easily done it for around $100.

Before using my rocker, 3 hours was my limit and I need the next day or two to recover. Fatigue wasn't the main cause. Back to back over 2 hour days was infrequent. The rocker changed all that and now fatigue is my limit, not a sore behind. Also, I didn't need two or more weeks conditioning before I can handle a two hour spin.
Old 08-05-21, 12:30 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by kcjc
My build was around $150 and I paid way to much for my marin grade plywood and truck liner paint. Could have done easily done it for around $100.
Share your build? Might be a project I tackle (because I have _so_ much free time to do this )
Old 08-05-21, 12:57 PM
kcjc

Take a look at https://www.facebook.com/groups/415329188897706/files there's more complete plans. Here's pics of my build, https://www.facebook.com/groups/4153...03336406763649. I didn't have a router and I'm not the most detail woodworker so it's more functional. If I had all the tools and the necessary skills, I would make it close to this:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/4153...3951549035466/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/4153...7914505305837/
I used pillow block bearings and a matching shaft whereas the example spec'd isolators. Isolators have became more popular as it allow for some fore and aft movement. I started sourcing before isolators took off and had some parts for over 6 months before the build. Took an afternoon for the build and two days for the paint liner to dry (it shows and use something else).
Old 08-05-21, 01:23 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
hmmm, looks like a FB account is needed to view. too bad for me i guess.
Old 08-05-21, 06:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I would take pictures of mine, but it's too embarrassing. All junkpile parts, so not much help for others anyway. I used round linear bearings, which is a common construction method.
Old 08-09-21, 08:31 AM
kcjc

Plan and parts list.

Mine jerry rigded rocker (DW's bike in the back ground, mine is hanging from the roof waiting for replacement parts after being hit from behind and plow under by a minivan with me still attached)

Likes For kcjc: