Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Merino Wool Jerseys

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Merino Wool Jerseys

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-21, 08:19 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
If you don't need the rear pockets, fine-thread merino undershirts are pretty awesome riding garb.

Especially when it's hot... wool wicks amazingly well, and doesn't stink. You can wear the same one for days.

(This is also the key to wool garment longevity... just don't wash 'em very often. They don't need it and it's not good for them.)

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 08-19-21, 08:36 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Yeah, I bought some 150 g/sq m merino polo shirts from Ibex when they were making stuff in the US and I have never worn anything as comfortable in 80F and 90F weather, riding in to work on the bike and around the office. If they were still making them I think I'd buy five more.
And of course when it's cold, I go with thick, long sleeved Ibex jerseys that zip up above my Adam's apple and tuck way down below my waist.

Sadly, Ibex today is not the same company as four years ago.

Last edited by randallr; 08-19-21 at 08:41 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-20-21, 01:39 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I usually only ride in warm/hot weather, so the idea of a wool cycling jersey doesn't sound pleasant to me. I'm the kind of guy who gets hot easily and sweats a lot, so even when riding in cool weather a cotton T-shirt under my cycling jacket is enough. So to me, the phrase "wool jersey" sounds about as appealing as "non-alcoholic beer."
It's one of those things that you have to experience to understand. Same for other things like summer mash baselayers that I always wear.
Old 08-20-21, 05:36 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 4,842 Times in 2,996 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I usually only ride in warm/hot weather, so the idea of a wool cycling jersey doesn't sound pleasant to me. I'm the kind of guy who gets hot easily and sweats a lot, so even when riding in cool weather a cotton T-shirt under my cycling jacket is enough. So to me, the phrase "wool jersey" sounds about as appealing as "non-alcoholic beer."
Quality merino is nothing remotely like the "wool jersey" you are thinking of.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-20-21, 06:57 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
If you don't need the rear pockets, fine-thread merino undershirts are pretty awesome riding garb.

Especially when it's hot... wool wicks amazingly well, and doesn't stink. You can wear the same one for days.

(This is also the key to wool garment longevity... just don't wash 'em very often. They don't need it and it's not good for them.)

--Shannon
I wouldn't even consider NOT washing a wool jersey, a wool base layer or wool socks after each and every use.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-20-21, 07:06 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I would never NOT even not consider not washing a merino top when bikepacking, touring, or backpacking. That is the beauty of the fibre, it does not absorb much moisture or odor. It ain't like there is a washing machine anyway.

Yak fiber is hollow and technically is down. I have some light weight tee shirts that are fine in warm weather. Alpaca does not hold its shape well but is similar.

Unfortunately, it is not so easy to get 150 gsm merino let alone 120 gsm but I do have a light merino tee shirt. 100% of the time, it or the Yak is my baselayer in cool weather. Love them.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-20-21, 08:23 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I wouldn't even consider NOT washing a wool jersey, a wool base layer or wool socks after each and every use.
If I'm reading your double-negative correctly, you would be doing it wrong.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-20-21, 04:21 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
For lightweight summer, I have one of the Isadore Woolight jerseys, eg below link. Its actually only about 25% merino, the rest poly. Nonetheless it feels great and does well in the heat.

https://rubbernroad.com/collections/...ersey-chai-tea
Old 08-20-21, 11:40 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I have one merino wool jersey from Oregon Cycle wear. (Spectrum did a great job on the embroidery logos.) I like the feel of it, but don't usually wear it on super hot days. What I don't like is how stretchy and saggy it gets if you use the rear pockets. Even a cell phone or wallet will make it sag. One year I rode it back to the motel with Eroica swag, including a small bottle of olive oil. It was sagging so much in back that it was hanging over the saddle. Washing and flat drying it made the shape come back ... till next time. I was 235 lbs when I got it, got down just below 200, and it seemed really big. I washed it in the machine, and instead of flat drying, threw it in a hot dryer, and it came out sized perfectly. I wore Kucharik jerseys back in my racing days, but not wool. I have a couple of Kuchariks now, still not wool. They do make great quality stuff.

Me, third from left, the red arm covers are separate.
Old 08-21-21, 07:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Anyone have experience with Soigneur jerseys?
https://www.soigneur.co.nz/merino-cycling-jerseys.html
Old 08-21-21, 01:18 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Someone earlier in the thread gave a plug for Soigneur.
Old 08-21-21, 01:27 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I have one merino wool jersey from Oregon Cycle wear.......
What I don't like is how stretchy and saggy it gets if you use the rear pockets. Even a cell phone or wallet will make it sag.......
Washing and flat drying it made the shape come back ... till next time. I was 235 lbs when I got it, got down just below 200, and it seemed really big. I washed it in the machine, and instead of flat drying, threw it in a hot dryer, and it came out sized perfectly...
Yeah, the Oregon Cyclewear jersey is sort of more like a fine-weave, medium/light sweater. Mine does seem to sag a little bit after wearing it a bunch, but shape comes back following a hand-washing/line or flat drying (though I try to wash my merino stuff as little as possible/only when really necessary). It's a really comfortable and nice jersey, though I was a little disappointed to see on the inside tag that it's made in China- I thought it was actually made in Oregon. I guess that explains how they can produce such a nice jersey at such an affordable cost..
Old 08-21-21, 01:46 PM
ehcoplex 

--Shannon
I have a few merino t-shirts from Unbound Merino that are a soft, light weight (190gr/sm) that I wear most of the year (non-cycling), and particularly when traveling. I've gone a week straight wearing the same one every day & they never start to smell. If needed, I can hand wash in a hotel sink and the shirt is dry by the AM. I do wear them cycling sometimes, too, but the looser, 't-shirt' cut and length isn't ideal (and considering they're made in China, they ain't cheap at $75 ea...).
I totally agree that lightweight merino is ideal for warm-weather riding. I may get hot & sweaty on a big, slow climb on a hot, sunny day, but make it over the top and start descending and it wicks and dries amazingly fast.
Old 08-22-21, 04:11 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,987 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah, that was me. By coincidence I was wearing their jersey today on a 35 mile ride. Checking the Garmin it wasn't much of a temperature swing today. Low of 57 high of 66. Felt perfectly fine in it the whole ride and it was unusually humid here this morning after nite rains dumped over an inch of water. So more sweat than normal today yet the jersey is totally stink free. Carried my cellphone in one pocket and an small point and shot in the other with no real sagging of any sort. It's the thickest merino item I have but has been just fine to wear with temps into the 80's. Can't speak to how well it will hold up as I've only had it a short time. Initial quality seems top notch to me.

Looking back at last Sunday's ride with this jersey on the low was 60 and the high was 82. Once again, felt fine in it.

Looking at me records, I ordered on the 15th of May, it shipped on the 19th of May, and I received it on the 29th of May in Utah.

I was loving the jersey so much on the ride today that I was thinking of ordering another one from him for days like today when I take the classic Opus III out. The jersey I got is themed for my Pashley Guv'nor.

This is the guarantee text from them in one of the email responses. They sent a couple of status emails.

"We stand by the quality of our jerseys and have a "no questions asked" money back guarantee if you are not 100% happy with your jersey.In the unusual event you receive a flawed product, return it within a fortnight with a note explaining why you are unhappy and we will send you a replacement at no charge within a fortnight of receiving your returned item. We recommend you email us beforehand in case we can come to a better solution.

If you wish to exchange for a different size, we can do that too, just return it to us and specify the replacement size you want and we will send you your replacement within the normal production time of 1-2 weeks."

Hope this helps. Like I said above, I can't speak to durability but initially I'm totally happy with their work.
Old 08-22-21, 04:46 PM
ehcoplex 

Quick initial impression of the Walz s/s merino jersey...
First, I'm impressed with how quickly I received it. Website says 'made to order' and expect a 7-day lead time. They must keep some in stock as it was only a few days from order to receipt.
Nicely made, and a very light weight (which is what I was looking for). Not 'race' fit- a little looser, though not 'flapping' loose. The elastic at the waist is pretty tight- without anything in the rear pockets it causes the jersey to ride up a bit. But put a snack, different glasses, bandana etc in the pockets and it all stays in place.
It was 67 and foggy when I went out this AM, started with the l/s Oregon Cyclewear jersey, but about 10 miles into my ride I put on the Walz. It was probably 70 by then, and over 40+ miles cleared up and became a sunny 80. Humidity level was pretty much at 'disgusting' from the start. I was comfortable the whole ride. Sweaty on the hills, but the sweat wicked away and (more or less) dried on the descents/straightaways). Soaked when I got home, but my last 1/2mi & long driveway is a steep climb and I'm pretty much always soaked at the end of that. And did I mention the humidity level was at 'disgusting'....(feels like it's been there for weeks now....). Will be interesting to see how the thin fabric holds up, but I'm pleased with the Walz at the moment.
Old 08-22-21, 07:28 PM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I would never NOT even not consider not washing a merino top when bikepacking, touring, or backpacking. That is the beauty of the fibre, it does not absorb much moisture or odor. It ain't like there is a washing machine anyway.

Yak fiber is hollow and technically is down. I have some light weight tee shirts that are fine in warm weather. Alpaca does not hold its shape well but is similar.

Unfortunately, it is not so easy to get 150 gsm merino let alone 120 gsm but I do have a light merino tee shirt. 100% of the time, it or the Yak is my baselayer in cool weather. Love them.
Does Yak have the same 'doesn't smell/need washing' qualities as merino? And how's its longevity?
Old 08-22-21, 09:30 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Does Yak have the same 'doesn't smell/need washing' qualities as merino? And how's its longevity?
According to Wikipedia, the average lifespan of a domesticated yak is around twenty years.

YYMV.

--Shannon
Old 08-22-21, 09:43 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
yes and not sure, not enough time.

My merino stuff lasts a long time.
Old 08-23-21, 04:05 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 4,842 Times in 2,996 Posts
I find that high quality medium weight merino lasts for decades. I have a few 20 year old Merino skiing mid-layers that I wear all winter that are still holding up fine. But when you get to the very lightweight merino I find that it falls to pieces after a few seasons. But still worth it. A lot of modern merino sports wear is actually a blend of merino and synthetics, which actually makes it better overall if well designed. My Rapha merino jersey is blended and doesn't suffer from the sagging issue mentioned up thread. The outer layer is also a little smoother and doesn't catch as easily.
Old 08-23-21, 05:29 AM
ehcoplex 

According to Wikipedia, the average lifespan of a domesticated yak is around twenty years.

YYMV.

--Shannon
Yuk, yuk..... er, yak yak....
Old 08-23-21, 11:18 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
I wear a base layer of some sort on virtually every ride
For hot weather (say 70 degrees to over one hundred), I'll wear this polyester hot weather base layer from Pearl Izumi
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...yer/p/11122105

For colder weather, I'll wear a merino base layer from Pearl Izumi
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...yer/p/11121923

I find the transfer mesh fabric of the hot weather base layer helps me regulate temp better than just the jersey alone, even when it's really hot. Seemed counter intuitive to me at first, but the fabric seems to spread out my sweat over a larger area so I cool better

The merino wool base layer is comfy, soft, and keeps me warm and wicks the moisture well so it doesn't get all loaded down and wet
Old 08-23-21, 06:03 PM
tyroc7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't have the brands you mentioned but I have a merino jersey from Demarchi and one from Pedaled and one from Isadore, all SS. I'd say they're preferable for 55-75F. Above 75F the Isadore is too thick. The Demarchi and Pedaled are not too thick but do not dry as quickly as synthetic materials and I sweat a lot.
Old 08-24-21, 07:58 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I bought my first merino wool short sleeve jersey this year. I wore it at the start of the summer when temperatures were cooler. Then as the summer started to heat up, I started wearing my other non-merino wool jerseys. For whatever reason I have it in the back of my mind that the merino wool jersey will be hotter. As summer turns to fall, I will probably start wearing the short sleeve merino wool jersey more again.
Old 08-26-21, 05:31 PM
Kanon25

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Seems there ought to be a sub-forum for cycling clothing discussions, but anyway....
I'm not interested in starting a merino-wool-vs-lycra, yes-no, love-it-hate-it debate thread here, I'm interested in hearing people's impressions about specific merino wool jerseys.

At the moment I'm looking for a warm-weather, s/s merino jersey. I have a Cima Coppi Sobremont s/s jersey, which while very well made is just too heavy-weight and kind of scratchy in summer heat (I rarely find wool, particularly merino scratchy...). Also have an Oregon Cyclewear l/s jersey which is also really well made, not scratchy at all and a bit lighter than the Cima Coppi, but it's l/s (and I'm not crazy about the color choices in s/s). It's actually not bad in the heat & I can push the sleeves up if I need to, but something a little lighter and s/s would be nice to have..

Has anyone tried Kucharik jerseys? Walz? Breathevelo?
Just find a tight fitting wool t-shirt in hiking section of an outdoor goods shop. For example Icebreaker or Houdini. But most of the retailers will have an own-brand that’s cheaper, probably 75% woool + 25 % Lycra at half the price of those big brands and probably a fifth of the price of an over engineered "wool cycling jersey" that usually includes zippers and vents that you don’t need - wool breathes well and is a wonder material.
Likes For Kanon25:
Old 08-26-21, 06:38 PM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by Kanon25
Just find a tight fitting wool t-shirt in hiking section of an outdoor goods shop. For example Icebreaker or Houdini. But most of the retailers will have an own-brand that’s cheaper, probably 75% woool + 25 % Lycra at half the price of those big brands and probably a fifth of the price of an over engineered "wool cycling jersey" that usually includes zippers and vents that you don’t need - wool breathes well and is a wonder material.
Agree, for the most part... except that the wool hiking T's usually aren't long enough, at least for me. Tall/thin means a T that fits tight ends up being too short*! And I've become used to the back pockets of 'cycling' jerseys. But at the same time, the 'regular' merino T's I have really are perfectly fine for biking- and I can also just wear 'em as a 'regular' T, which I can't with a bike jersey!

*edit- Though who am I fooling- I don't compete and it ain't really like a little bit of flapping T-shirt makes a bit of different on any of my rides....!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.