Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does Clothing Matter?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does Clothing Matter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 09:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
.... there is no specific wear for playing chess.
Dude, you said that on the Internet. Hlaf the world has already heard it.

By this time Tuesday we will all be getting ads for "Chessmasters---the clothing you need when you need to mate--your opponent."
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-05-21, 09:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by genejockey
Someone trying not to be a jerk might have said, "Because I ride a recumbent, the interface with the bike is different from an upright bike, so I don't find any advantage in standard cycling clothes for my riding."
Nah .... he is just an old man who has to yell at clouds or his head will explode. He is a good guy.

If you had to ride a recumbent all the time, you'd be upset too.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-05-21, 09:19 PM
Maelochs

Re: cotton---I used to ride 100 percent in cotton---or nothing above the waist. Cotton is fine if you keep moving because a lot of sweat can evaporate. However, if you stop, the cotton gets soaked and heavy quickly, and if there is really high humidity it doesn't wick well. Once you stop, ..... after a really hard effort I could wring half a gallon of sweat (about three pounds) out of a cotton T. Without that 15 mph average breeze the cotton wicked Zero.

I stopped wearing cotton--and stopped riding hard ..... either or both work. if you live in even a slightly dry climate or one which isn't really hot while it is humid and vice versa, cotton is okay.

But that is what I have found, and what I chose to do. The rest of you---who cares?
Old 09-05-21, 10:14 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Nah .... he is just an old man who has to yell at clouds or his head will explode. He is a good guy.

If you had to ride a recumbent all the time, you'd be upset too.
I don't ride a recumbent all the time, but when i do... I wear non cotton undies and lycra swimming jammers. Chafe free for two of three PBPs

On the upright, I find the same getup tolerable for twenty or thirty miles. But different people seem to have different tolerance for pressure and chafing.

Rear pocket jerseys are useful on bent or upright. I can't use the center pocket on the bent, but the outer ones are great for bars and such. Also, when getting off the bike for water, jersey pockets are great for carrying water bottles, freeing up the hands to open doors and such.

Cotton tees and cargo shorts are pub crawl and coffeeneuring getup.
Old 09-06-21, 02:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I didn't recommend jack, and I certainly never said don't try something. All I said is I'm comfortable in cotton tshirts. I sweat, and the shirts wick the sweat and dry, cooling me off. That's how perspiring is supposed to work, right?!

You have a very creative account of what happened in the other threads that bears no relationship to reality.

This is General Cycling, btw, are you under the impression that GF/ sportive events and club rides are the standard type of riding?

Quit scolding people for saying they wear different stuff than you do.
I wasn't even talking about you actually. In fact I'd rather not. i thought you'd put me on your ignore list ages ago. That would be the best solution for you I think.
Old 09-06-21, 02:22 AM
PeteHski

Re: cotton---I used to ride 100 percent in cotton---or nothing above the waist. Cotton is fine if you keep moving because a lot of sweat can evaporate. However, if you stop, the cotton gets soaked and heavy quickly, and if there is really high humidity it doesn't wick well. Once you stop, ..... after a really hard effort I could wring half a gallon of sweat (about three pounds) out of a cotton T. Without that 15 mph average breeze the cotton wicked Zero.

I stopped wearing cotton--and stopped riding hard ..... either or both work. if you live in even a slightly dry climate or one which isn't really hot while it is humid and vice versa, cotton is okay.

But that is what I have found, and what I chose to do. The rest of you---who cares?
Cotton really doesn't work well for sports clothing. It doesn't wick sweat away at all IME. But hey this is BF!
Old 09-06-21, 05:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I wasn't even talking about you actually. In fact I'd rather not. i thought you'd put me on your ignore list ages ago. That would be the best solution for you I think.
Now you're just lying. You complained about people jumping on you in the shoes thread. I'm literally the only one who responded to your posts in that thread, and that was because you jumped on me for saying I don't wear cycling shoes on platforms.

I took you off the ignore list because I saw a quote of yours on another subject that was really good. You're just insufferable on this one subject. Otherwise, I like reading your posts and discussing stuff with you.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-06-21, 05:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I wear cotton tshirts some and also "performance" synthetics. I think you've got it about right, cotton works best as air conditioning if you're riding fast. It's probably not what I'd wear on a hilly ride on a hot day because it's too slow to evaporate. It's actually pretty great on a really hot day if you ride a flat route fast. I try to avoid hilly rides on such days as I'm not really trying to make myself unduly miserable.
Old 09-06-21, 05:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Dude, you said that on the Internet. Hlaf the world has already heard it.

By this time Tuesday we will all be getting ads for "Chessmasters---the clothing you need when you need to mate--your opponent."
Butt cleats to keep you from slipping off your chair.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-06-21, 05:36 AM
PeteHski

Now you're just lying. You complained about people jumping on you in the shoes thread. I'm literally the only one who responded to your posts in that thread, and that was because you jumped on me for saying I don't wear cycling shoes on platforms.

I took you off the ignore list because I saw a quote of yours on another subject that was really good. You're just insufferable on this one subject. Otherwise, I like reading your posts and discussing stuff with you.
Actually I jumped on you (if that's what you want to call it) for ranting at some other poster who just pointed out that everyone up until that point had suggested literally anything other than cycling shoes. It's just funny on a dedicated cycling forum that's all. As far as I know I've never actually complained about anyone not wearing cycling gear. There is one other guy who goes out of his way to snark at anyone who DOES wear ANY form of cycling gear. I'm sure you can guess who that is, lol. It doesn't bother me what other people wear, but when they start talking **** about cycling wear I can't help myself commenting. Again this is not you I'm referring to. I understand the reasons why you don't wear cycling gear and that's perfectly fine. Please don't take it too seriously, you seem like a decent guy. A bit quirky with your choice of wear and favourite 52-11T gear for riding along, but a decent guy nonetheless!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-06-21, 06:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Actually I jumped on you (if that's what you want to call it) for ranting at some other poster who just pointed out that everyone up until that point had suggested literally anything other than cycling shoes. It's just funny on a dedicated cycling forum that's all. As far as I know I've never actually complained about anyone not wearing cycling gear. There is one other guy who goes out of his way to snark at anyone who DOES wear ANY form of cycling gear. I'm sure you can guess who that is, lol. It doesn't bother me what other people wear, but when they start talking **** about cycling wear I can't help myself commenting. Again this is not you I'm referring to. I understand the reasons why you don't wear cycling gear and that's perfectly fine. Please don't take it too seriously, you seem like a decent guy. A bit quirky with your choice of wear and favourite 52-11T gear for riding along, but a decent guy nonetheless!
Kum ba yah, man! We'll agree to disagree on what you did on the shoes thread. That other poster was both lying about the range of recommendations and was really quite nasty in how he was referring to people who don't wear cycling gear. I think you missed how insulting his post was, just assuming that people who don't wear cycling gear are somehow deficient as cyclists.

We all have our quirks, what I like about bf is getting the perspectives of people who ride differently than I do. You'll notice, I hope, that I'm just as intolerant of people who make fun of people who don't ride like I do, either. I got pretty mad at people who were ridiculing men for shaving their legs even though I've never even considered doing that, for example.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-06-21, 06:31 AM
PeteHski

Kum ba yah, man! We'll agree to disagree on what you did on the shoes thread. That other poster was both lying about the range of recommendations and was really quite nasty in how he was referring to people who don't wear cycling gear. I think you missed how insulting his post was, just assuming that people who don't wear cycling gear are somehow deficient as cyclists.

We all have our quirks, what I like about bf is getting the perspectives of people who ride differently than I do. You'll notice, I hope, that I'm just as intolerant of people who make fun of people who don't ride like I do, either. I got pretty mad at people who were ridiculing men for shaving their legs even though I've never even considered doing that, for example.
No worries. I find other perspectives interesting too. Cycling is a far more varied sport/hobby than most others I can think of.
Old 09-06-21, 06:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
First, they came for the poseurs, and I did not speak out - because I was not a poseur.
Then, they came for the Freds, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Fred.
Then, they came for the recumbent riders, and I said, "hell yeah."
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-06-21, 07:55 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
I thought I'd ask the group here: What benefits do cycling wear bring, and how significant are those benefits?
Friday morning I wanted to test out a new fixed gear build for a longer ride. It's a modified track frame, so no bottle bosses.

Benefits of proper cycling jersey: carrying capacity and ventilation.

Carrying capacity: Tire levers, co2 inflator and spare tube in the left rear pocket. Phone and snack go in right rear pocked. Filled water bottle goes in the center pocket. You can't do that without wearing a purpose-made jersey unless by adding bags/packs and other paraphernalia.

Ventilation: While you can find dri-fit and mesh shirts, most won't have a full length zipper. Adjusting the zipper position can add quite a bit to comfort, depending on the situation.

There are other lesser benefits for cycling jerseys like fit, gripper elastic lower hems, logos and affiliations and, of course, crisp tan lines.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-06-21, 09:47 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
To add to Phil's post

Adaptability to weather conditions:

I long distance ride and temps from morning to evening can vary quite a bit. I use arm sleeves, lycra skull cap and knee warmers, as well as a thin shell layer and shoe covers along with my cycling shorts and jersey. This modular approach allows me the minimal amount of "baggage" to be able to adapt from morning chill, mid day sun and even brief showers. They work, are light weight, fold small and avoid the redundancy of having to bring multiple clothing items such as long sleeve shirt/short sleeve shirt, pants/shorts.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-06-21 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-06-21, 09:57 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
To answer the OP's question, posed in the thread title: "Does Clothing Matter?"

Yes. Try going a day without it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-06-21, 11:11 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Still at it, huh?

Well, it is said that: "Clothes makes the man (and in a pc world, the woman, too)"
Old 09-06-21, 11:59 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
To answer the OP's question, posed in the thread title: "Does Clothing Matter?"

Yes. Try going a day without it.
Only a day ??...I've gone 15 years without a cycling jersey, without bibs and without clipless shoes.
Old 09-06-21, 11:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by WhyFi
First, they came for the poseurs, and I did not speak out - because I was not a poseur.
Then, they came for the Freds, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Fred.
Then, they came for the recumbent riders, and I said, "hell yeah."

I'm sure the people of Recumba are lovely. Also, my understanding is that if you park one of those contraptions on your roof, you get really great TV reception.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-06-21, 12:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Only a day ??...I've gone 15 years without a cycling jersey, without bibs and without clipless shoes.

Woosshhh!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-06-21, 12:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Cotton really doesn't work well for sports clothing. It doesn't wick sweat away at all IME. But hey this is BF!
A bit off topic: I have retired the majority of my cotton Ts except for indoors. Outside, I only wear performance T’s which are odor resistant. I use these for hiking and working out in the hot sun. They wick like crazy and dry in a snap. Love them.

They would work for cycling too if you didn’t mind the flapping and lack of pockets.

Old 09-06-21, 12:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Uh, no. Clothing. Just clothing.

But, golly, aren't you just so proud of yourself.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-06-21, 12:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Woosshhh!
When you take yourself too seriously, you take everything too seriously.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-06-21, 12:35 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Im heading out for a serious road ride on my serious bike, and I’m wearing serious clothes. Seriously. Later, I might jump on one of my mountain bikes and good around, in a seriously fun manner, wearing baggie cargo shorts and a t-shirt, most likely with a beer theme. Serious fun all around. Conundrum: that mtb I mentioned has clipless pedals but I’ll probably be wearing Merrell hiking shoes. Will it be considered a serious ride or a mixed-media enterprise? Beer for everyone!
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-06-21, 01:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Serious cyclists take everything seriously.
Likes For wolfchild:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.