Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hydration packs, what do you use?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-17-21, 05:17 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Good Morning everyone,

I'm looking for getting a hydration pack and I can't pick between a backpack style or the hip style. I do mainly MTB, with some rail trails. What is your favorite, what don't you like.
Old 09-17-21, 06:39 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Camelback
Old 09-17-21, 06:41 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 58 Posts
hydration

Use what works for you. Hydration packs are a generational thing. My generation uses a water bottle, and when appropriate 6 aluminum cans held together with a plastic ringed packaging.
Likes For Peruano:
Old 09-17-21, 06:48 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I have a 15-year old Camelbak MULE. It was the standard back then, and it's held up very well. Think about what additional gear you'll want to carry, and then, make certain that whatever you choose can handle that gear without splitting open. Normally, for a long day during which I anticipate weather changes:

- 1 change of outer layer
- kit for tire/tube repair (pump or CO2, tube, tube repair kit, tire levers)
- snacks
- keys, wallet, phone, etc.
- kit for all other mechanical issues (derailleur hanger, spare chain links, quick-link, zip ties, toolset)

Enough water? That's a judgment call. Will 100 ounces be enough? Usually, yes.
Old 09-17-21, 07:38 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 260 Posts
I have a 14 year old 3 liter desert camo Camelbak. It has no pockets on it.
Old 09-17-21, 07:43 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I have an Osprey bladder that slips into a cheap REI day backback.
It works great for hiking and occasional MTB'ing.
Old 09-17-21, 08:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
I’m wearing my 40 Oz CamelBak right now. Forget the model name.
Old 09-17-21, 08:59 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
And now, for something completely different: Orange Mud endurance pack. Has a 2 liter bladder. Between that and two 26-oz bottles on the frame I can get about 60-70 miles on gravel depending on heat.

I've actually compared it directly to the Camelbak Chase that my wife bought and they're pretty similar but I prefer the Orange Mud; the design is just a little bit more well thought out in my opinion.

It's a small company so it doesn't get a lot of attention but they've been good to me. Plus I've chatted with the owner at various gravel events and he seems like a good dude.
Old 09-17-21, 03:30 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Osprey Raptor 14. Almost went for the Raptor 10, but glad I didn't. My only complaint is that the bite valves are fragile, so I buy spares. Love the included detachable tool roll.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-17-21, 04:11 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I have a Camelback Mule I don't use anymore cus I got a pack from USWE
Old 09-17-21, 06:57 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I have Camelback back packs and a Camelback hip pack. Both work well. I also have an Osprey backpack and two Osprey hip packs which I really like. The only problem with the hip packs is that they can slip down and cause problems if they aren't tight enough.
Old 09-17-21, 09:46 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Camelbak Mule.... can take up to 3l of water, holds spares, food, clothing layers and never shifts around on my back.
Old 09-18-21, 01:10 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
I am a pack snob. I have so many different backpacks as well as bags. I have several different hydration packs in various styles.

My most recent purchase was a “Outdoor Products” RipCord. I chose to get this little hydro pack because it was light weight and I thought it had 2 pockets plus an external mesh storage pouch that I could put a light jacket or rain gear in.
Today I looked over the pack really good for the first time since I bought it (yesterday), and noticed it had two interior pockets as well. The pack can hold two 3L bladders but comes with a single 2L bladder while still enough room for a “dirty” bag to be folded into the bottom along with a Sawyer Water Filter System.

I bought mine on sale for 19.99 at Big 5 during their 60th Anniversary sale and military discount.
https://m.big5sportinggoods.com/stor...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

So far what I love about the pack:
  • Its light weight
  • fully loaded the straps don’t dig into my shoulders
  • the adjustable cinch strap keeps the straps where they belong
  • lots of cargo capacity
  • great for riding, hiking, or just using as a man bag

What I don’t like:
  • the hip belt webbing is too narrow (1” webbing) it should have been wider or padded, but it’s not too bad, after a few minutes I forget it’s their while on the bike, hiking might be another matter.
  • my helmet doesn’t fit very well inside the expandable mesh pocket.

so overall, I give the bag a huge thumbs up. Even at full retail of $30.00 I think it’s a steal.

A few pictures of the pack and my current load out:

Outdoor Products “Ripcord” All loaded up

From top to bottom left to right: Ripcord Hdrationnpack Bontrager Helmet, cycling gloves, face mask, cycling cap Bike lock key, lens cleaning wipes for my glasses, wallet

Straps and hydration tube

Upper outside pocket

Interior main pocket with cargo cinch strap

Expanding exterior mesh pocket

https://outdoorproducts.com/collecti...hydration-pack

Last edited by M Rose; 09-18-21 at 01:26 AM.
Likes For M Rose:
Old 09-18-21, 01:48 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
A cheap Kuyou knockoff 2 liter hydration backpack, cost about $15-$20. Works fine.

I used it once in summer 2020 when I first got it, for a 50 mile ride with no nearby convenience stores, etc., on the hottest day of the year -- peaked at 113F. I also carried a couple of insulated Camelbak bottles. Worst part of the ride were the two flat tires with no breeze, and no shade on the first flat (found a tree for the second flat). I probably drank half my water on those two stops. I had about one swallow remaining by the time I got home.

Leaked a little at first until the O-ring settled, then no problems. The leak was very minor, just enough to cool my back but not enough to waste water. No leaks since that first time. And the bite valve took a little getting used to but works fine now.

And the bladder and hose left that plastic-swimming-pool kinda odor and taste at first. I filled the bladder with water and baking soda and let it sit in the fridge for a few days. No noticeable odor or flavor after that.

I've used it several times this summer, mostly jogging and walking 3-10 miles per session. Very handy. Stays put well enough while I'm jogging. Has enough padding/insulation to keep the bladder cool for at least a couple of hours. Two inner pockets with zippers, enough to hold a few gels or snacks in one pocket, and my wallet, keys, etc., in the other. And a mesh outer pocket for stuff like my bandana, face mask in case I needed to go in a convenience store for refills, etc.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-18-21, 03:05 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Camelback mule 1.5 liters.
Old 09-18-21, 04:22 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
After around 20 years of wearing Camelback packs, I purchased an USWE pack on the recommendation of a friend. The USWE is so much more comfortable that I will never wear another Camelback again. The strap system keeps the pack in place and you almost forget you are wearing it. It stays put when hopping logs, instead of hitting me in the back of the head like the Camelbacks always do.

https://www.uswe-sports.com/shop/sho...ydration-packs
Old 09-18-21, 06:02 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Osprey Raptor 14. Almost went for the Raptor 10, but glad I didn't. My only complaint is that the bite valves are fragile, so I buy spares. Love the included detachable tool roll.

After 20 something years using a Camelbak Mule then HAWG, I bought this same pack a year ago. I love the way it fits, sits, and holds on when riding. It works great with a lot of stuff, but also with a small load. The tool compartment at the bottom is really well thought out IMO.

The only thing I did not like was the hose and valve. I think that magnetic holder was a solution looking for a problem, and causes its own problems. The issue I find is that in order for the hose and bite valve to be able to hang on that magnet and still work for drinking, the hose needs to be really long. This means that you kind of HAVE to hang it back on the magnet, which I find a PITA while riding.

I ended up cutting the hose much shorter, replacing the valve with a right angle bite valve, and just let the hose hang when not using it (like the way every other pack I’ve used works). With a right angle bite valve, the hose only needs to stick out about 4”.
Likes For Kapusta: