Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Shimano Sora Groupset for a New Bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thoughts on Shimano Sora Groupset for a New Bike

Old 08-25-21, 07:45 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
I can't believe people are spending $1200-1700 on Sora and Tiagra equipped bikes. My old $350 Fuji Newest came with Sora. You used to be able to get 105s at around the $800 mark.
That was a bargain, when I was selling Fuji 20 years ago the entry level finest with steel frame was 450.00, the Finest AL with 2200 series was around 550.00 and the Newest was the next level up from there.

OP, I suspect the dealer is having trouble with supply and that's their current options. Sora really isn't that good at all, I managed to score a Diamondback new int he box for 150 with Sora on it, I tossed the shifters. The quality of shifting was just lacking, as someone else mentioned the tech trickles down but the quality doesn't always. Up until the 4700 series I avoided Tiagra but with the current series the quality has actually trickled down and its totally worth getting but I still wouldn't go lower than that.
Old 08-26-21, 08:34 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Not2Bright
Thanks aliasfox; having never ridden anything with more than a 9 speed cassette I guess what I really want to know is will I appreciate the extra $650 spent on a 105 equipped bike versus the same frame equipped with Sora. That is a question only I can answer but sinsce I can only buy one bike I guess I’ll never quite know for sure. Will I say “Wow! This is the best $600 I ever spent” or will it be more like “Well this is better but not $600 better”

As far as what is available locally right now the answer is not much but stuff is coming in. A shop has a 105 equipped Specialized but it is not a bike I want. Same shop has a Cannondale Synapse with Tiagra.

As someone who could loose 20 pounds I can’t use a weight savings argument. I have been taking note of the gears I use to climb on the routes I ride and the hardest climb I do at 29 gear inches, most other hills it’s 40. An 11-30 with the compact gets me down to 30 so that is right there on the edge with no wiggle room for my toughest climb. I think I will draw the line at 32 for the big cog and nothing smaller.

Once I’m out there pedaling and the heart rate is up I’ll probably be happy no matter what I end up with and probably have a week or two of buyers remorse too, that’s normal when I spend over $1,000 on anything.
Apologies, I missed this response. Frankly, whether or not $650 is worth it to you is a very personal question, and only you can decide. If you had asked me 6-7 yrs ago, $650 would've been a pretty big decision - I dragged out my feet on buying a new phone right up until my 4-yr old iPhone 4 stopped working, then bought an $800 iPhone 6s that I'm still using to this day. On the other hand, I've impulse purchased a couple of (really nice) bottles of whisky that totaled $600+ (though I only break those out on special occasions...).

For $650 more, I would get the 105 equipped bike for a few reasons: the tolerances on the forging and machining will be better, individual components will be stiffer, and the usability will be just that little bit better. I also get the impression that 105 is basically designed as a professional-level training groupset: it has 90-95% of the functionality and feel of Dura-Ace, without most of the extreme weight saving measures that may compromise Dura-Ace durability (titanium cassette, IIRC). Additionally, starting at 105 means you could upgrade to R8000 or R9000 level components piecemeal as your budget allows - there'd be no way to do that with Sora, as there's no inter-compatibility between Sora 9-speed and anything remotely recent.

The 105 level bike is likely to come with nicer wheels, and definitely check the brakes: I'd be surprised if a Sora bike came with Sora brakes, and would be less surprised if a 105 bike came with 105 brakes - they could both come with Tektro gear, which would make things more of a wash. Less likely, but still possible, as that you may end up with nicer cockpit components, too - the Sora bike will likely have an entry level or no-name alloy seatpost and cushier seat, the 105 bike may have a lighter alloy post, or even a carbon one, with a more performance oriented saddle.

With the weight argument: 18 months ago, I went to the gym for a 4-6 mile run, 4-5 times a week. That transitioned to running outside when COVID hit, to cycling in Manhattan when the city opened up again, to... nothing in winter. I'm now 8 lbs more than when the crap hit the fan, and even then I was probably 10 lbs more than I ought to be. But you know what? I can still feel the difference between my ~20.5 lbs Lynskey and my ~18 lbs Cannondale. Is the difference worth it from a performance perspective? Probably not. But I 'feel' like the Lynskey holds her speed better on flats, and the Cannondale 'seems' to jump more when I accelerate.

I guess at the end of the day, I would recommend trying out what's in stock, and buying what speaks to you. When I was looking for my first road bike, I started looking at aluminum bikes with carbon seatstays. None of them impressed me. Then I tried a steel road bike, and was immediately smitten. Sometimes discussion and research just has to give way to what you want. Except for that 32-tooth cog - if you need that, you need that ;-)
Old 08-27-21, 12:40 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On the plus side, cost and (these days) availability of 9-speed parts for Sora is likely to be much better than the newer 11 speed stuff.
Old 08-27-21, 07:52 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9528 Post(s)
Liked 6,268 Times in 3,456 Posts
Thanks aliasfox; having never ridden anything with more than a 9 speed cassette I guess what I really want to know is will I appreciate the extra $650 spent on a 105 equipped bike versus the same frame equipped with Sora. That is a question only I can answer but sinsce I can only buy one bike I guess I’ll never quite know for sure. Will I say “Wow! This is the best $600 I ever spent” or will it be more like “Well this is better but not $600 better”
Since I have a Sora bike and a 105 bike, both the same 2020 model year bought about 3 months apart, I can tell you that when riding the Sora bike I never have a feeling of missing the 11-speed cassette. I tend to ride both about equally depending on where I am riding.

I will say though that I like the 105 equipped bike more, but it also cost three times as much and is fitted with carbon wheels and some other goodies.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-27-21, 07:55 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Since I have a Sora bike and a 105 bike, both the same 2020 model year bought about 3 months apart, I can tell you that when riding the Sora bike I never have a feeling of missing the 11-speed cassette. I tend to ride both about equally depending on where I am riding.

I will say though that I like the 105 equipped bike more, but it also cost three times as much and is fitted with carbon wheels and some other goodies.
Do new Soras still have the thumb shifter?
Old 08-27-21, 08:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
That's been gone for a long time ....
Old 08-27-21, 09:10 AM
Mojo31
-------

On mine it does, but it's a flat bar.

On a drop bar, it's a regular brifter: Amazon.com: Shimano Sora R3000 9-Speed Right STI Lever : Everything Else
Old 08-27-21, 10:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
And this is why not all comments should be valued the same.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-29-21, 07:53 PM
Not2Bright

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I appreciate that Mojo31, and I do understand most manufacturers usually upgrade everything, not just the drive train. I am looking to keep cost low so I want value for the cost.

I looked at used like others have suggested but around here I haven't seen any bargains as far as what I'm looking for.

As far as finding new I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open because there are not many of those around either.

Thanks to all for the responses, I found all the information useful.
Old 08-31-21, 07:48 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Having started riding more the past two years I have gotten to the point I want a new bike more suitable for longer road rides. I have been riding a couple of bikes with 3x9 Shimano MTB gearing and even an old Fuji Marlboro folding bike that was fitted with a 42-32-22 crankset with the original 14-28 freewheel. My 2007 Fuji Touring is the closest thing to a road bike but I put a 44-32-22 crankset on that for climbing ability so I really want a faster bike but don’t want to spend a fortune. I am thinking entry level endurance bikes with a compact crank and 11-32 or 11-34 cassette in a 9 speed Shimano Sora groupset.

Bike shops want me to go up to the 105 groupset. I am very happy with the 9 speeds I have and don’t see the need for 11 and don’t want to spend the extra $ for 2 extra cogs between the 11 and 32 in the rear. They also claim better overall quality but I wonder if I would appreciate it enough to justify the cost.

I ride mostly for fun and exercise, mostly alone and half my rides are 40 miles long or a little longer. This year should hit 4,000 miles but this is not going to be the norm going forward, probably 2,000 or so will be the average yearly total. I am looking for a dependable, comfortable, and faster bike than what I currently ride. Not worrying about a few seconds here and there just getting the job done.

Any input especially from riders who have ridden various Shimano groupsets from the bottom to the top of the range. Am I kidding myself thinking I will be happy with yet another 9 speed?
I put Sora on a bike I built. I like it. For my riding I don’t need anything bettter.
Old 09-05-21, 08:33 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I have a 2016 Domane 4.0 Disc with 9 speed Sora and a 2014 Trek Madone 3.1 with Tiagra FD and 105 RD stock from factory; it is 10 speed with rim brakes.

I like the Domane better and have no problem with the Sora. However, I am 70 years old any run out of gears on hills; I don't stand and pedal. I likely will upgrade the Sora groupset to 105 on the Domane not because I am not satisfied with its operation, but rather because I would like a few more gears to keep everything trimmed and burning.

Mike
Old 09-17-21, 07:49 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
I have a 2016 Domane 4.0 Disc with 9 speed Sora and a 2014 Trek Madone 3.1 with Tiagra FD and 105 RD stock from factory; it is 10 speed with rim brakes.

I like the Domane better and have no problem with the Sora. However, I am 70 years old any run out of gears on hills; I don't stand and pedal. I likely will upgrade the Sora groupset to 105 on the Domane not because I am not satisfied with its operation, but rather because I would like a few more gears to keep everything trimmed and burning.

Mike
My solution for gear range on my Montague Fit was to use a 3x10 Tiagra 4700 group. I did a fairly hilly metric last weekend, and though it wasn't nearly as bad as the Tour de Cahaba a few weeks ago, the bailout gear did come in handy on one long pull toward the end of the ride. Since it's the overall range and not the number of gears, this was an ideal group for the purpose.
Likes For velojym:
Old 09-18-21, 09:00 PM
Mojo31
-------

I bought two bikes last year, both new. One has a Sora drive train, the other 105. Both have hydraulic brakes. Other than the two cogs, the Sora group works really well. The 105 feels just a bit more precise. My wife rides a Tiagra bike, and she is just as happy with it as I am the 105.

If the cost difference is not an issue, I'd get the 105 bike. If you're hesitant to spend the money, get the Sora. You'll enjoy it just as much.
Old 09-19-21, 12:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
I bought two bikes last year, both new. One has a Sora drive train, the other 105. Both have hydraulic brakes.
hydraulic sora?
Old 09-19-21, 06:55 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
hydraulic sora?
Brakes are a different brand. Comments were directed towards drivetrain.
Old 09-21-21, 07:39 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
My daughter has a Raleigh Pro Race that's fitted with 9-speed Sora. The brifters are the normal two lever system, like Tiagra, 105, etc - I think the thumb button was fitted on 8-speed, but not the 9-speed brifters.

Quality and function wise, the Sora system is pretty good and works well. In several years and a few thousand miles of use I've not had to make any repairs apart from a cable and the occasional adjustment. I've got 9-speed Tiagra on one of my C&V bikes that I use as a commuter, and I couldn't honestly say there's any noticeable difference between the Sora and Tiagra set ups.

Are 9 sprockets enough? They do work very well for me on a combination of commuting, club rides, Audaxes, and the occasional sportive, although with a few C&V bikes I very often do the same type of rides on 5, 10, or 12 speed bikes.

I think if you're happy with a 9 sprocket set up then Sora will work very well for you, especially if the price is right.
Likes For ExPatTyke:
Old 08-17-22, 05:56 PM
Not2Bright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPatTyke
My daughter has a Raleigh Pro Race that's fitted with 9-speed Sora. The brifters are the normal two lever system, like Tiagra, 105, etc - I think the thumb button was fitted on 8-speed, but not the 9-speed brifters.

Quality and function wise, the Sora system is pretty good and works well. In several years and a few thousand miles of use I've not had to make any repairs apart from a cable and the occasional adjustment. I've got 9-speed Tiagra on one of my C&V bikes that I use as a commuter, and I couldn't honestly say there's any noticeable difference between the Sora and Tiagra set ups.

Are 9 sprockets enough? They do work very well for me on a combination of commuting, club rides, Audaxes, and the occasional sportive, although with a few C&V bikes I very often do the same type of rides on 5, 10, or 12 speed bikes.

I think if you're happy with a 9 sprocket set up then Sora will work very well for you, especially if the price is right.
It's been about a year since I asked this question. I ended up buying a Triban RC500 from Decathlon. It was a decision based on value and availability at the time. (Trek ended up calling months later) I am very pleased with this bike and for the riding I do have no complaints. I get a fair amount of miles but am not a serious enough rider to miss the tighter ratios an 11 or even 10 speed would provide. I am not looking to save seconds so much as dollars. 1,400 miles on the Triban and no mechanical issues. Cable pull disc brakes stop the bike ok for me. Wheels and tires are cheap and will be replaced with something better eventually but for now they are round and tires appear to have plenty of life left. If you're looking for an inexpensive beginner bike or just a cheapskate like myself looking for a cheap ride I think the Triban RC500 is a good value and the RC520 probably even better value with a 105 groupset for a couple hundred dollars more.
Likes For Not2Bright:
Old 08-17-22, 07:52 PM
gulencocuk

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I agree that the Decathlon bike is a good value in today's market conditions.
I bought a Sora-equipped bike for my wife and 'tested' it for 600 km. I normally use 105 and Tiagra fitted bikes, and I think the current Sora groupset is just fine. The only noticeable difference based on my experience is that Tiagra and 105 feel just a bit tight and quick when shifting. I'm not an expert but maybe the narrower chain also helps Tiagra and 105.

Considering the longevity of 9-speed chains compared to narrower 10 and 11-speed chains, a Sora groupset might be the best option for cost-effectiveness in terms of maintenance. I'm thinking of building a Sora-equipped commuting bike after seeing how fine it performs.
Old 08-24-22, 04:52 AM
mawn

Bikes: Ridley

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gulencocuk
I agree that the Decathlon bike is a good value in today's market conditions.
I bought a Sora-equipped bike for my wife and 'tested' it for 600 km. I normally use 105 and Tiagra fitted bikes, and I think the current Sora groupset is just fine. The only noticeable difference based on my experience is that Tiagra and 105 feel just a bit tight and quick when shifting. I'm not an expert but maybe the narrower chain also helps Tiagra and 105.

Considering the longevity of 9-speed chains compared to narrower 10 and 11-speed chains, a Sora groupset might be the best option for cost-effectiveness in terms of maintenance. I'm thinking of building a Sora-equipped commuting bike after seeing how fine it performs.
the RC500? i'm thinking about buying it
Old 08-28-22, 04:54 PM
gulencocuk

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mawn
yes, I think it's a fine enough bike!
Likes For gulencocuk:
Old 08-29-22, 03:53 AM
Not2Bright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mawn
I am happy with it. It suits my need for an affordable bike and the high stack was something I wanted, something comfortable for a "mature" rider i.e. older person.
I would caution about the tires and wheels. There is a lot posted about the tires being impossible to change. They are not impossible but extremely difficult. A week ago after putting 1,500 miles on it I had a puncture flat on a group ride. It took two of us over 30 minutes to change a tube. The wire bead tire is a tight fit! We had to lever it on. When I got back home I installed an old Kenda tire I had sitting around that was always an easy fit and it went on with little problem so I believe the issue lies in the tires and not the wheels. Anyway I installed some used DT Swiss wheels, R500 rims, nice and wide with some 32mm tires. I planned on this for a while and am glad I did it. The wider tires at lower pressure made a big difference in ride comfort. I plan on riding it thousands more miles.
Old 08-29-22, 04:38 AM
mawn

Originally Posted by gulencocuk
yes, I think it's a fine enough bike!
I bought a used Ridley bike two weeks ago!
Old 08-29-22, 04:39 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
I just built up a budget conscious bike using Sora 2x9 with flat bar shifters and it's excellent. Smooth, precise and the left shifter has a trim setting.
Old 08-29-22, 04:43 AM
mawn

I am happy with it. It suits my need for an affordable bike and the high stack was something I wanted, something comfortable for a "mature" rider i.e. older person.
I would caution about the tires and wheels. There is a lot posted about the tires being impossible to change. They are not impossible but extremely difficult. A week ago after putting 1,500 miles on it I had a puncture flat on a group ride. It took two of us over 30 minutes to change a tube. The wire bead tire is a tight fit! We had to lever it on. When I got back home I installed an old Kenda tire I had sitting around that was always an easy fit and it went on with little problem so I believe the issue lies in the tires and not the wheels. Anyway I installed some used DT Swiss wheels, R500 rims, nice and wide with some 32mm tires. I planned on this for a while and am glad I did it. The wider tires at lower pressure made a big difference in ride comfort. I plan on riding it thousands more miles.
I was almost going to buy it, but my size wasn't available. Plus, the Decathlon service was terrible!
Glad you liked yours, and for the tires, you are right a lot of people have changed them after some use.