Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Favorite multi-tool?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Favorite multi-tool?

Old 06-12-21, 02:01 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Favorite multi-tool?

What's everyone's favorite multi-tool to carry when riding? I've been eyeballing the Pedro's Micro-20 but don't think I need all the tools on it for my purposes. Plus I already have a separate set of Pedro's levers. Just looking for something that won't take up much space in my saddle bag but still give me the main tools I'd probably need for basic trail side repairs.

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-12-21, 03:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
None. I carry a small screw driver with a changeable point, a flat, philips and a couple torx points for it and a couple of allen keys.

Your favorite things to carry should be things you can work with. If that's a multi tool, I'm okay with that. I just never grew to like them. Not even the famous swiss army knife.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-12-21, 05:31 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The Park MT-1 "dog bone" tool is my favorite. It's very small, light, inexpensive and has the essential tools: 3,4,5,6,8mm hex keys, 8,9,10mm box wrenches and a small screwdriver. The allen keys are arranged for good leverage which isn't always the case with multi-tools. It, a small chain tool and tire levers have covered all of my roadside needs.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 06-12-21, 06:01 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Crank brothers M19
Likes For SapInMyBlood:
Old 06-12-21, 06:05 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
You've probably read this before (and you probably don't want to hear it if your mind is set on a multi-tool), but I have found that carrying the few individual tools I need works out much better than lugging around a heavy multi-tool with a bunch of components that don't work well and/or aren't needed for my bike. The chain tool component of most multi-tools is usually not very good and nor are the tire levers. For me, having all those Allen wrenches attached to a fat handle makes them really hard to maneuver in tight spaces on the bike.

I carry a small chain tool, small Phillips and flat screwdrivers, a tire lever, and just the (loose) Allen wrenches I need.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 06-12-21, 06:14 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone,

This is the advice I need...from experienced riders. My mind isn't set on a multi tool and I'd actually prefer separate tools but was worried about space. Hopefully I won't need either. I like the small multi-tip screwdriver idea along with my flat tools/kit. I guess I need to figure out the sizes for torx tips and allen wrenches I need. If I need any more serious repairs, I'm calling for a ride.
Old 06-12-21, 07:18 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The Park MT-1 "dog bone" tool is my favorite. It's very small, light, inexpensive and has the essential tools: 3,4,5,6,8mm hex keys, 8,9,10mm box wrenches and a small screwdriver. The allen keys are arranged for good leverage which isn't always the case with multi-tools. It, a small chain tool and tire levers have covered all of my roadside needs.
+1 on the Park. Figure out what you are likely to need. I have never needed a chain tool. Good luck!
Old 06-12-21, 07:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Crank Brothers M10 is my daily carry and has long hex keys which are quite handy. The Spurcycle Tool is nice and a really solid tool to use but it is deficient in the fact it uses small bits. I haven't lost any yet but I could see someone loosing one in the heat of the moment.

Having a lot of tools is cool but I want the common tools to be easy to use. There are plenty of options for smaller chain tools and such should I need one and I can find other multi tools that maybe aren't hex related with them on them.
Old 06-12-21, 07:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
SKS Tom-7
Actually has more than I need as on the road, I've used only one of its tools and that was a couple years ago.
Old 06-12-21, 09:08 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
1 tire iron and a Lezyne Storage Drive
Likes For RGMN:
Old 06-12-21, 10:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWasabi
Thanks for the replies everyone,

This is the advice I need...from experienced riders. My mind isn't set on a multi tool and I'd actually prefer separate tools but was worried about space. Hopefully I won't need either. I like the small multi-tip screwdriver idea along with my flat tools/kit. I guess I need to figure out the sizes for torx tips and allen wrenches I need. If I need any more serious repairs, I'm calling for a ride.
I hate most multitools. I find them both clunky and chunky. They generally don’t fit the hand very well and are difficult to get at the right angle for really using them. I currently like Fix-it-Sticks, either the Mountain kit or the Commuter kit. They work better, feel better and are a bit more compact.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-12-21, 10:53 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I don't experience a ton of mechanicals typically so honestly my multi tool doesn't get a ton of use, but I had a Crankbrothers M19 that did my solid for many years. Now I have a Park IB-3 and I like it pretty well. If I were touring or doing long gravel/endurance mtb rides where I more regularly needed a tool I'd probably look at different options.
Likes For cpach:
Old 06-13-21, 12:50 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Hero Kit multitool, the flattest, most compact I've found that includes a chain tool (which I've used a couple of times for friends on group rides) and fits the minimalist Lezyne Road Caddy seat bag on my lightest carbon fiber bikes.

Spin Doctor Rescue 16 multitool, same tools as the Hero Kit, perhaps slightly better made, but not nearly as flat and compact. It goes in the Serfas wedge bag on my steel bike.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-13-21, 02:16 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
The attraction to a MUT for me is the implied expectation that the tools will be self contained, easy to stow, be useful for 90% of roadside repairs, & not be a maraca while riding.
Unfortunately, there has been a lot of false hope for meeting those expectations & the solution is to acquire the tools YOUR bicycle may need À La Cart & derive a stowage solution to easily contain them. That has been what I've been doing for every bicycle I've ever owned, stemming from my experiences from my early-on adolescent time.
Old 06-13-21, 02:26 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Anything without a chainbreaker, thousands of kilometers in multiple countries and never needed one. Just basic sccrewdrivers allen and torx, with longer ones being better than short. Also reasonably stiff folding, floppy tools suck.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 06-13-21, 07:26 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Anything without a chainbreaker, thousands of kilometers in multiple countries and never needed one.
I've never needed one for myself but I've used the one I carry to bail out other riders a few times. My Ritchey CT-5 chaintool is very small and weighs only 30 grams and uses the 5mm allen key on my Park MT-1 to turn the drive screw. It certainly wouldn't hold up to routine use but as an emergency tool it's been very useful.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 06-13-21, 07:42 AM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
In the "serious" bike kit, I keep my first generation Crank Bros. M17 (and yes, I have used it and its chain tool throughout its life), in the fixed wheel's bike kit I keep separate tools (DIY combo tire levers with 14/15mm boxed spanners). As an EDC, it can be a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit, a Leatherman Rebar, PST II, or Wave; or a Gerber MP600.

Last edited by Juan el Boricua; 06-13-21 at 09:19 AM.
Likes For Juan el Boricua:
Old 06-13-21, 08:32 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
You've probably read this before (and you probably don't want to hear it if your mind is set on a multi-tool), but I have found that carrying the few individual tools I need works out much better than lugging around a heavy multi-tool with a bunch of components that don't work well and/or aren't needed for my bike. The chain tool component of most multi-tools is usually not very good and nor are the tire levers. For me, having all those Allen wrenches attached to a fat handle makes them really hard to maneuver in tight spaces on the bike.

I carry a small chain tool, small Phillips and flat screwdrivers, a tire lever, and just the (loose) Allen wrenches I need.
Papa Tom took the words right out of my mouth. Multi-Tools suck. Try installing a bottle cage with a multitool and you will see what we mean. I carry a small screwdriver and the few hex L-wrenches I need a Park Mini Chain Brute, a Rema patch kit and a couple of tire levers. rolled up into a towel to keep them quiet and to wipe my hands and face. The Park MT-1 is kind of OK but some of the hex drivers are at inconvenient angles, for me.
Old 06-13-21, 08:36 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
In the past several years the tool that I've wished I had with me was a needle nose pliers. I've encountered a few punctures that were caused by radial ply tire wires. Those little devils hiding in your tire can be hard to find and, even once found, can be the devil to root out.

In kind of a reverse Murphy's Law thing, I haven't had a radial wire puncture since I started carrying a tiny needle nose.
Old 06-13-21, 08:40 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
. Multi-Tools suck. Try installing a bottle cage with a multitool and you will see what we mean.
I can't imagine needing to have to install bottle cages on my ride; if I did, I suppose the bike shop where I picked one up would lend me one or actually maybe install it for me. Multi-tool works fine for how I'd imagine (and just imagine mind you; haven't had a need) requirements to futz with usual 98% suspects such as seatpost collar, saddle, limiter screws, stem bolts, brake caliper bolts.
Old 06-13-21, 09:51 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
In the past several years the tool that I've wished I had with me was a needle nose pliers. I've encountered a few punctures that were caused by radial ply tire wires. Those little devils hiding in your tire can be hard to find and, even once found, can be the devil to root out.

In kind of a reverse Murphy's Law thing, I haven't had a radial wire puncture since I started carrying a tiny needle nose.
Leatherman Squirt. Small, light, and convenient.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-13-21, 10:20 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
PB Swiss 470 Bike Tool. Goes with me on every ride.

I have a number of fine mutli-tools (some expensive); however, the only one, the only one that can function as good as a regular tool is the PB Swiss Bike Tool (made in Switzerland). The handle's side is also a full-functioning tire lever. Not cheap but the best I have found and I have Park, Lezyne, Pedro, Crankbrothers, etc.

Amazon has them sometimes. Their US distributor has them too: https://www.shop.pbtools.us/

This is the PB Swiss. Come in a rainbow of different colors too:

--

Last edited by drlogik; 06-13-21 at 10:27 AM.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 06-13-21, 11:17 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Here is a photo of my kit. Every part is my ideal tool in terms of usability. The Schwalbe tire levers are slim but strong. The Wera bit ratchet is rated for 40N-m, so it is strong enough for any fastener I will put it on, including the 8mm bit for pedals. The chain tool is an add-on for a fixit sticks kit which uses the bit extension as a stabilizer and the but ratchet as a handle. The red thing is a valve cap that doubles as a valve core remover. Kit includes a spare valve core, quick link, and valve extender.

the bits are 2.5mm through 8mm, t25, t27, JIS bit, small flat head, and a 1/4” square drive. The main part of the kit is exactly 250g, and the bottom row adds another 150g.

The bottom row is added to my kit for rides where I am out in the sticks and need to be more self-sufficient, but comes along most of the time anyway if I am not concerned about weight. The Knipex have removed radial wire that would have been impossible to remove with fingers. It will also remove 15mm axle nuts and pedals. It would also remove a stubborn presta nut or hold a valve body to remove a valve core that has been cemented on with dried sealant.

Last edited by aggiegrads; 06-13-21 at 10:07 PM.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 06-13-21, 06:28 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Crank brothers M17
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 06-14-21, 01:18 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Park Tool I-Beam Multi/Mini Tools
Likes For sean.hwy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.