Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Using Zwift and Trainerroad at the same time?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 07-01-21, 06:45 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

How would one do this? I am new to indoor training and interested in trying both. I am currently setting up a trainer with TV and Apple TV. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-21, 05:00 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I think the easiest would be to run tr over bluetooth from one device and have zwift listen to the device over ant. Never tried it though
Old 07-02-21, 05:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I do this frequently. The simplest way for me is to use two different devices. Trainerroad is on the iPad (on bike PM) and Zwift is on AppleTV (Kinetic trainer with BT sensor). Power is close enough.

Old 07-02-21, 05:39 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Connect your (smart) trainer as power but not controllable in Zwift. Use TrainerRoad as usual. Don't try using Bluetooth to connect both to power. If you don't have a smart trainer then the controllable aspect is moot and then what you do is look at the TR targets.

Note there is no way to make it feel like you're riding over the ups and downs of the terrain on Zwift if you're using anything else to control the trainer. Even workout mode in Zwift itself will disable the terrain simulation.
Old 07-02-21, 06:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Ha, I had an idea to use Zwift as a head unit during an outdoor ride because it will talk to my Apple Watch for heart rate and to power meters. The GPS would be lacking…
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-06-21, 11:22 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Exclamation

Assuming you have just the smart trainer and no secondary on-bike powermeter, the easiest way to do this is to use a Windows 10 laptop with ANT+ for one program and Apple TV for the other. Bluetooth is very "one-to-one" and doesn't like to share it's connectivity over multiple software.

Something like...

Windows 10 laptop with TrainerRoad and an ANT+ dongle (Bluetooth disabled, just to be sure)
- Connect power / trainer control / cadence over the ANT+ signal

Apple TV with Zwift (or RGT, FulGaz, Rouvy, whatever)
- Connect to power and cadence
- Leave the trainer resistance control not connected

You'll get all your power data and full ERG resistance control via TrainerRoad, while Zwift will receive your power data to move you along the course but not control the resistance changes.

It's a way of completing TrainerRoad workouts while still logging your Zwift "miles" and earning drops, etc.

NOTE: You can technically run both TrainerRoad and Zwift on the one Windows 10 laptop, but you'll need two ANT+ dongles plugged in, one for each program. Using ANT+ and Bluetooth on the one laptop at the same time via two training apps sometimes works, but often causes communication glitches.
Old 07-08-21, 08:08 AM
kosmo886

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Assuming you have just the smart trainer and no secondary on-bike powermeter, the easiest way to do this is to use a Windows 10 laptop with ANT+ for one program and Apple TV for the other. Bluetooth is very "one-to-one" and doesn't like to share it's connectivity over multiple software.

Something like...

Windows 10 laptop with TrainerRoad and an ANT+ dongle (Bluetooth disabled, just to be sure)
- Connect power / trainer control / cadence over the ANT+ signal

Apple TV with Zwift (or RGT, FulGaz, Rouvy, whatever)
- Connect to power and cadence
- Leave the trainer resistance control not connected

You'll get all your power data and full ERG resistance control via TrainerRoad, while Zwift will receive your power data to move you along the course but not control the resistance changes.

It's a way of completing TrainerRoad workouts while still logging your Zwift "miles" and earning drops, etc.

NOTE: You can technically run both TrainerRoad and Zwift on the one Windows 10 laptop, but you'll need two ANT+ dongles plugged in, one for each program. Using ANT+ and Bluetooth on the one laptop at the same time via two training apps sometimes works, but often causes communication glitches.
I just tried the setup. And something worked that I didn’t think would. I just have the kickr which does power and cadence and heart rate monitor. I was able to connect both directly with trainerroad on my iPhone and Zwift on my Apple TV. I thought I’d have to use a dongle or bridge for this to work, but it seems to work fine and read the same data. I can have trainer road control the wahoo and still ride in the Zwift world.

Am I missing something?
Old 07-08-21, 08:16 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I just tried the setup. And something worked that I didn’t think would. I just have the kickr which does power and cadence and heart rate monitor. I was able to connect both directly with trainerroad on my iPhone and Zwift on my Apple TV. I thought I’d have to use a dongle or bridge for this to work, but it seems to work fine and read the same data. I can have trainer road control the wahoo and still ride in the Zwift world.

Am I missing something?
If it works it works. I feel like I've done something similar but it's been a long time so I don't remember the details.

Another option if anyone's interested -- Zwift has a workout creator and you can manually input the TR workouts into it. On a laptop you can go into your TR account and look at the details of each workout. It's fussy and complicated and there's probably someone out there who has written a script that can automate it but yeah, it's an option. Of course if you're wanting your TR account to automatically keep track of your workouts there's some extras steps after the fact, too.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-27-21, 06:14 PM
El Heron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
I have been using TrainerRoad with Zwift on my laptop for the last two years it works great. I have a three outlet USB hub that connects to my laptop. Connected to that USB hub are two long USB extension cords attached to two ANT+ dongles. I place those ANT+ dongles as close to the center of my trainer (E-motion smart rollers) as I can. I turn off Bluetooth on my laptop as I only want TrainerRoad and Zwift to connect via ANT+. I first load TrainerRoad and it connects automatically to the first ANT+ dongle without issue and it reads my trainer (or power meter) as a source of power and also it controls my trainer by either ERG or Resistance. I then minimize TrainerRoad so it's only a banner at the bottom of my screen. I then power up Zwift and it automatically connects to the second ANT+ dongle. Zwift will read your trainer (or power meter) as the power source. As surak mentioned above it is very important you uncheck your trainer in the "Controllable" box in the "Paired Devices" setup window. When you start your TrainerRoad workout then your Zwift avatar starts moving.
Old 07-30-21, 12:47 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
With ATV, you have to run a second device. Assuming you are using ATV for Zwift, connect as power source only. Connect TR to the second device. Some newer trainer can connect to more than one device using BLE but most will not and you have to connect the second device using Ant+ FE-C (also assuming the trainer can run both simultaneously, my first gen Drivo cannot). Get a windows PC with a decent graphics card (my 1050 Ti still more than adequate) and stick with Ant+ FE-C. You'll be happier in the long run. Apple in this case is just not an elegant solution and full of... it's jerry rigged at best.