Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sweat

Old 07-28-21, 03:49 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
Sweat

I live in Florida and so it’s hot in the summer when doing group rides. I’m prone to sweating mightily in the heat and humidity when the pace is over 22 mph…and of course there are riders right behind me. I’ve been looking at arm coolers, but the reviews indicate they don’t really cool and are more for sun protection. I already use a sweatband and gloves. Anyone found an effective way to cool down a bit or at least mitigate the leakage?
Old 07-28-21, 05:06 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with them, but you might want to try a cooling vest.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-28-21, 05:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Is there such a thing as sweating too much in Florida heat and humidity? If it were me, I'd just bring plenty of water and electrolytes, maybe add a hydration backpack, and let it flow. I sweat more profusely when I drink electrolytes -- my sweat feels kinda soapy, sorta like washing your hands or hair in very soft water. Not a bad thing, just unusual compared with drinking plain water. But I feel fine on long rides and runs in summer heat.

BTW, a hydration backpack can help with cooling. I always chill my water bladder in the fridge, and sometimes add ice cubes. While there's a slightly padded insulation layer between my back and the hydration pack, it's still cooling and feels good. I use it mostly on long summertime walks, jogging and even a couple of runs in the 5-10 mile range in midday. Heavy but worth it. The weight is less noticeable on the bike.

I know some folks who always wear full leggings and sleeves -- usually in white, sometimes black -- even in summer in Texas. They're mostly concerned about skin cancer, but say it's comfortable. I joke around that they're like Sherif Ali in Lawrence of Arabia, the man in black portrayed by Omar Sharif.

When I first resumed cycling in 2015 I worried about sunburn -- for years I'd sunburned easily after only 15 minutes in the sun. So I wore white long sleeved wicking fabric shirts from Champion, Under Armour, etc. They weren't bad at all in our heat, although we don't usually get the kind of humidity you get in Florida.

I do notice big differences in wicking fabrics. Some work very well and feel cooler, or at least no worse, than going bare-skinned. The best wicking fabric jersey I've worn is the Louis Garneau Lemmon 2 -- feels like fine soft cotton, but it's poly wicking fabric. It's so comfy I've considered their long sleeve version.

But after my thyroid failed and I developed early onset osteopenia and had dangerously low Vitamin D and calcium levels, I switched to short sleeve shirts to get more sun, and carried sunscreen and sometimes sun sleeves. Over time I experimented with skipping sunscreen, spending more time in the sun, even switching to sleeveless shirts when I walk and jog. For some weird reason I don't sunburn anymore. Heck, I barely tan. I get some tan marks, but the tan fades quickly. I'm guessing it's due to the massive amounts of Vitamin D I take now, at least 5,000 IU daily in supplement pills, plus whatever I get from milk and diet.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-28-21, 05:28 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
As I get older I seem to sweat more profusely and also have breathing problems so I simply don't ride. Riding in the 80's F is out of the question and even the 70's is pushing it. No matter how much water I drink it's never enough. After the last dizzy spell I had after a fifty mile ride (going for a metric century) I finally learned my lesson.
Old 07-29-21, 07:14 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I lived in Florida a long time ago. At the time my problem was sweat rolling off my back and into my shorts.. I always wondered if clamping a sponge in my shorts waistline in the back might have helped.
Old 07-29-21, 09:20 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Yes, sweat is good. The problem in FL is a lack of speedy evaporation. So the question is really how to increase evaporation rates. Sun sleeves protect from sun, but like any insulating layer, don't increase evaporation rate. The only thing I've found to work is a thin skin-tight technical jersey which is designed to move sweat into the atmosphere. Note that jerseys with a mesh back don't help because they need an under-layer to protect the skin. My favorite is a Pactimo. I never unzip it more than 6" because it doesn't work if it doesn't touch the skin. Some shorts also move sweat away better than others.

A bad thing about sun sleeves is that one can't see the sweat on one's arms, which can mean that you won't notice the lack of sweat which precedes heat stroke. I wear them anyway because we have dry summer heat here and I'm careful about my hydration.

For short rides, ice-filled socks draped over the neck work well. An event ride here once gave them out to riders who were having trouble with the extreme (for here) heat, not realizing that the riders would discard them. Afterwards, we had a crew climbing a pass, picking up socks.
Old 07-29-21, 09:43 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I take a pair of my wife's old pantyhose and stuff the legs with ice. I hang the crotch over the rear of neck and the arms down my front to my waist under my jersey. I know most won't do this but just sharing. One downside is the melted ice will go everywhere.

High heat and humidity is double trouble. Sometimes, just lowering the pace is the best strategy
Old 07-29-21, 09:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I've thought about treating my hyperhydrosis for decades, but never took the plunge. I've just concentrated on mitigating the symptoms & side effects socially

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20367173
Old 07-29-21, 10:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I use sun sleeves regularly. Some are better than others to allow you to feel cooler. I had a pair of Peal Izumi's that I liked really well. But they were cut off of me. That's a different story. The Pearl Izumi's I replaced them with aren't quite the same but they are about as good as the Specialized sun sleeves I use frequently. And none are really significantly better than others.

For the most part it's a combination of speed and the current temp/dewpoint. I'm almost always comfortable when over 16 mph. For times I'm below 12 mph for extended periods, I get hot and if that portion of my ride has me going slow for a long time, I'll pull them down.

Though they like to advertise them as cooling you, I only think of them as sun protection to keep me from having to slather sunscreen all over me. For hot days I'd expect those that don't ride fast to not like them at all. Those that do ride fast, it's a toss up.
Old 07-29-21, 07:08 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I couldn’t find the Garneau jersey that was recommended, so I thought I would try Aero Tech Designs cool max, which should be here next week.

I have a 75 mile ride in the morning and I’ve dug out some wrist bands and I’ll use the lightest jersey I have and we’ll see if that helps. And then on to the other suggestions!
Likes For BCAC:
Old 07-29-21, 08:00 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I've observed that most of the flying sweat comes from the helmet, which does a good job of capturing it for release at 22 mph. So, I always rides with a 'Headsweats' cap under my helmet to help with this. Extra bonus - it also keep the sun off my scalp; as per doctor's orders.
Old 07-29-21, 08:07 PM
Baldy1953

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
2nd on the head sweats skull cap. I wear one all the time. it keeps my bald head from burning through the vents in my helmet. I wear sleeves on my docs suggestion. I went online and googled. Bought them off Amazon. I like them as I feel they work. They are made of spandex like material as my jerseys. I can feel them cooling my arms as I ride after a short stop. They are as wet as my jersey when I get home from my rides.
Old 07-29-21, 08:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I've thought about treating my hyperhydrosis for decades, but never took the plunge. I've just concentrated on mitigating the symptoms & side effects socially

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20367173
Yeah, I wouldn't seek surgical or medical treatment for "excessive" sweating. Recently a young social media-famous "model" died after getting surgery to reduce her sweating. The story didn't specify whether it was a bad reaction to the anesthesia, medical malpractice, or simply a consequence of losing her ability to perspire in a hot climate while exercising to keep her ridiculously perfect figure.

Sweat is good. All of my favorite women cycling friends get the sweat funk, same as the guys. Nobody cares because we all got the sweat funk.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-29-21, 08:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by BCAC
Thanks for the replies! I couldn’t find the Garneau jersey that was recommended, so I thought I would try Aero Tech Designs cool max, which should be here next week.

I have a 75 mile ride in the morning and I’ve dug out some wrist bands and I’ll use the lightest jersey I have and we’ll see if that helps. And then on to the other suggestions!
Unfortunately that long sleeve Garneau Lemmon 2 jersey was discontinued a couple of years ago and hard to find now.

Next best thing might be one of Under Armour's Heatgear t-shirts. Very thin fabric, a complex combination of mesh fabric in the highest sweat zones, closer weave elsewhere, really comfy even in hot weather. I snagged one for about $5 at a Ross or Marshalls discount store this spring. I wish they'd make a cycling jersey version with zipper and pockets. It's really good fabric.
Old 07-30-21, 02:41 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I live on the NC/SC border with high humidity and I wear a Castelli summer mesh baselayer. They totally work (or I wouldn't wear it). I'll keep my jersey zipped about halfway down for more airflow and the air is cooled as it flows through the wet mesh, like an evaporate AC system. Also keeps my jersey drier and my skin from getting wet and clammy. To someone who hasn't tried it it does look like an extra layer would make you hotter but it doesn't. It's so light and thin you can ball it up in your fist.
Old 07-30-21, 06:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I live on the NC/SC border with high humidity and I wear a Castelli summer mesh baselayer. They totally work (or I wouldn't wear it). I'll keep my jersey zipped about halfway down for more airflow and the air is cooled as it flows through the wet mesh, like an evaporate AC system. Also keeps my jersey drier and my skin from getting wet and clammy. To someone who hasn't tried it it does look like an extra layer would make you hotter but it doesn't. It's so light and thin you can ball it up in your fist.
product link? I have a 2nd job at a big box home improvement store, working w/ lumber & building materials. it is a hot sweaty job, year 'round. I try to wear shirts that don't change color when soaking wet. & I try to wear wicking base layers. both items as thin as possible. the top layer has to have a collar & no logos. but a small sports logo seems to go w/o getting in trouble. been toying with the idea of a wide mesh base layer but I can't find one. is yours a wide mesh? I'm imagining the kind of mesh that some football workout jerseys use. I need a short sleeve style, not a vest style. I need men's adult XL. it needs to be long enough that I can tuck it in my trousers. thank you
Old 07-30-21, 07:03 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Sweat is just fat crying.

I probably sweat more than anyone I know, so for me riding in the heat of summer, it's a nylon workout shirt or bike jersey, nylon pants & underwear for short rides and bike shorts for long rides, and a nylon do-rag under my helmet. All the moisture wicking really helps. I remember wearing cotton T-shirts when I first started riding and it was absolutely no fun at all wearing a very wet shirt which felt like a wet blanket. Cotton tends to hold onto the moisture while nylon lets it evaporate and keeps you cooler. So even thought I sweat a lot, with it being wicked away from my body and evaporating I'm not a wet, soggy mess at the end of my rides, though I may be crusty with salt. But I don't think anyone riding behind me has ever complained about my sweat blowing off and landing on them.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 07-30-21 at 07:08 AM.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-30-21, 09:10 AM
Lazyass

product link? I have a 2nd job at a big box home improvement store, working w/ lumber & building materials. it is a hot sweaty job, year 'round. I try to wear shirts that don't change color when soaking wet. & I try to wear wicking base layers. both items as thin as possible. the top layer has to have a collar & no logos. but a small sports logo seems to go w/o getting in trouble. been toying with the idea of a wide mesh base layer but I can't find one. is yours a wide mesh? I'm imagining the kind of mesh that some football workout jerseys use. I need a short sleeve style, not a vest style. I need men's adult XL. it needs to be long enough that I can tuck it in my trousers. thank you
This is the new version of mine. They are kind of short, though. Don't know how well they would stay tucked into jeans.

https://www.backcountry.com/castelli...RoCmnYQAvD_BwE
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 07-30-21, 09:57 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Lazyass
This is the new version of mine. They are kind of short, though. Don't know how well they would stay tucked into jeans.

https://www.backcountry.com/castelli...RoCmnYQAvD_BwE
I wonder if the new version is longer. I see the "fit" says form fitting, so I ordered 1 off Amazon in XXL. it's worth a try, thank you!
Old 07-30-21, 10:14 AM
Lazyass

I wonder if the new version is longer. I see the "fit" says form fitting, so I ordered 1 off Amazon in XXL. it's worth a try, thank you!
It'll probably be alright. You can stretch them down really far.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 07-30-21, 04:06 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
I'll throw a curveball, go against all the hi-tech alternatives mentioned above, and suggest you try a long sleeve cotton t-shirt as the first attempt at a solution. Sure, you'll sweat into it, but that sweat gets retained in the cotton fibers a little longer than in a poly shirt, and at 15-20mph (my usual speed) your self-created breeze will cool it down and create a little bit of a cooling effect on your body. Buy one with long sleeves and it'll keep the sun off your arms, too. And don't forget its cheaper than any other alternative, and even if it doesn't work you'll have a casual t-shirt for everyday wear. YMMV, but it works for me. Cheers
Old 07-31-21, 06:54 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I'll throw a curveball, go against all the hi-tech alternatives mentioned above, and suggest you try a long sleeve cotton t-shirt as the first attempt at a solution. Sure, you'll sweat into it, but that sweat gets retained in the cotton fibers a little longer than in a poly shirt, and at 15-20mph (my usual speed) your self-created breeze will cool it down and create a little bit of a cooling effect on your body. Buy one with long sleeves and it'll keep the sun off your arms, too. And don't forget its cheaper than any other alternative, and even if it doesn't work you'll have a casual t-shirt for everyday wear. YMMV, but it works for me. Cheers
See my post above. From my personal experience, wearing a cotton T-shirt was absolutely miserable. I get a lot more cooling effect from moisture wicking material than I do with moisture retaining material like cotton. Wearing a cotton shirt while riding on a hot day just resulted in me being sopping wet and feeling disgusting. The totally wet T-shirt did not cool me off at all, not like material which allows quick evaporation.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-31-21, 07:43 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I don’t know how southern riders deal with high humidity the whole summer. I’m in N Michigan where our summer temps are often 90 or above. I can deal with the heat but it’s that 95% humidity that puts me out of the ride. Recently I was on an evening 16mi brisk ride with some hils but not bad, and speeds in the 16-22 range with no coasting. Temps were 75f and that last 3 miles put me in slowdown mode (12-13mph) and even with the 24oz water bottle empty at the finish line. Pulse was up, no cramping but the overheating was doing a number on me. I can ride hot temps but if that humidity rises about 85 I am either riding more slowly, pacing even the short rides (less than 30 miles) and carrying water/electolites beyond the norm. Humidity can put you down.
Old 07-31-21, 12:47 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
See my post above. From my personal experience, wearing a cotton T-shirt was absolutely miserable. I get a lot more cooling effect from moisture wicking material than I do with moisture retaining material like cotton. Wearing a cotton shirt while riding on a hot day just resulted in me being sopping wet and feeling disgusting. The totally wet T-shirt did not cool me off at all, not like material which allows quick evaporation.
Yeah, humidity doesn't get near as high here in coastal Southern California as it does in Florida. 50%-60% is normal here (we've had an extended period of 70-90% lately). I don't sweat all that much, and the amount I do seems to make for a nice cooling effect when used with a cotton T-shirt without making it a soppy mess. Cheers
Old 08-01-21, 06:00 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I take a pair of my wife's old pantyhose and stuff the legs with ice. I hang the crotch over the rear of neck and the arms down my front to my waist under my jersey. I know most won't do this but just sharing. One downside is the melted ice will go everywhere.

High heat and humidity is double trouble. Sometimes, just lowering the pace is the best strategy
This explains a lot

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.