Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

seat tube deformation

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

seat tube deformation

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21, 09:13 AM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts
seat tube deformation

The seat tube on the bike I'm working on has a very slight bulge where I jammed a screwdriver down in there to pull away the seat post. Just wanted ask what you guys thought about potential safety implications.
Old 09-07-21, 09:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Since you know it's not perfect, the only implication to safety will be if you don't look at it every so often to see if it's becoming a problem.

Being a steel tube, I wouldn't worry too much about it if at all. But I would look at it every now and then.
Old 09-07-21, 09:37 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You are forbidden from working on bikes
Likes For trailangel:
Old 09-07-21, 10:42 AM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Originally Posted by Iride01
Since you know it's not perfect, the only implication to safety will be if you don't look at it every so often to see if it's becoming a problem.

Being a steel tube, I wouldn't worry too much about it if at all. But I would look at it every now and then.
Thank you! I will keep a very close eye on it. I was reading in Sheldon's seat post section that you can sometimes see if an oversized post has been forced in by feeling a bulge in the seat tube. He didn't imply that seat tubes in that condition were unusable so I'm hoping for the best.

Originally Posted by trailangel
You are forbidden from working on bikes
Honestly that's fair. Not my proudest moment, but frustration got the better of me.
Old 09-07-21, 10:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I might speculate that maybe tubes also get bulged by seat posts that are slightly too small a diameter for the seat tube and they rock back and forth in the clamp constantly hammering on the inside of the tube. The shorter the seat post remaining in the tube the more force to bend the tube with.

I still can't imagine how you got a screwdriver that far down between the tube and post. Or was the post completely below the top of the tube?
Old 09-07-21, 11:12 AM
cyrano138

Originally Posted by Iride01
I might speculate that maybe tubes also get bulged by seat posts that are slightly too small a diameter for the seat tube and they rock back and forth in the clamp constantly hammering on the inside of the tube. The shorter the seat post remaining in the tube the more force to bend the tube with.

I still can't imagine how you got a screwdriver that far down between the tube and post. Or was the post completely below the top of the tube?
I cut almost all the way through the seat post in a couple places with a jab saw. I was trying to push one section in to make room, but I wasn't as far through the seat post on the bottom as I thought.
I posted this in another thread but here's a picture of the seat post.

Last edited by cyrano138; 09-07-21 at 11:16 AM.
Likes For cyrano138:
Old 09-07-21, 11:37 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Zero safety implications. And figure if you hadn't gotten the post out the frame was garbage anyways.

If it bothers you it might be possible to get the defect out with some blocks as is often done with larger dents. If it were me, though, I would be happy the post was out and ride it without worry.
Old 09-07-21, 09:57 PM
cyrano138

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Zero safety implications. And figure if you hadn't gotten the post out the frame was garbage anyways.

If it bothers you it might be possible to get the defect out with some blocks as is often done with larger dents. If it were me, though, I would be happy the post was out and ride it without worry.
Sweet, thank you! The frame had been abused a bit anyway so I wasn't being too careful.