Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ballet Dancer Turned Track Cyclist

Old 06-04-19, 07:24 AM
Rooni

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Really common when rollers/high cadences are new to you. Have someone look at your fit, bars too low/seat too high makes this worse. Relax your grip on the bars as well, basically just rest your hands in the hooks, and depending on your style, it may help to push yourself back into the saddle a little bit.

Also, you need to learn how to pedal a little differently at super-high cadences- if you just smash-smash, down-down, you'll be bouncing all over the place. You need to concentrate instead on whipping the pedal quickly along the bottom of the pedal stroke, and in your mind you need to be a little "ahead" of what your feet are doing. A former coach described this as being like advancing the timing on an engine- you mentally fire the pedal stroke a hair before you are actually there. Sounds complicated but it does become second nature with practice.
Thank you for the advice! The last couple of sessions I have really focused on pedal smoothness and "whipping the pedal" which has definitely helped as previously I was just mashing the pedals. My cadence has actually increased with the new focus as opposed to just pumping like a mad man!
Old 06-04-19, 07:35 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I'll jump in before Carleton does - but I think the general consensus of this forum is to start with a cheap frame first, then figure out what you like/don't like about it and get your fit dialed in, then buy a nicer frame once you have some experience and know what you need.

All those parts you mentioned can be swapped from one frame to another.
Old 06-04-19, 05:56 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooni
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for all of their advice so far! It has been heeded and I am seeing improvements with a PB on max power every week for the past three weeks (now 1712W), becoming more comfortable and confident on the track and weights going up.

I am now looking for some advice on bikes. My question is, are you better off buying a standard aluminium or steel frame and spending on the components or is it better off getting the best frame you can afford with big standard/factory components?

My current options are either a Dolan Pre Cursa frame, Dolan TC1 frame or Moda Forte frame and then spending on the spec:
  • Shimano Dura Ace Bottom Bracket
  • Shimano Dura Ace Crank Set
  • Shimano Dura Ace Chain Ring
  • Mavic Ellipse Wheel Set
  • Alpina Carbon Sprint Bars
  • Izumi Track Chain
  • Saddle, etc.

OR for the same total price as any of the frames plus components listed above, purchase a Boardman TRK 9.2 2019 complete bike, (apologies, i do not have 10 posts yet so cant post link)?

As stated in a previous post I am 187cm, 90kgs and hoping to compete in sprint disciplines.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Until you really know you're a sprinter, any one of those frames will be fine. Seeing as you're in the UK, I would be looking around for one of those Hoy bikes/frames

When I got my first track bike, I researched the hell out of stuff, and I ended up getting a 2nd hand bike that had lots of nice bits on it already. I still have the DA cranks and DA hub/aerohead wheelset 11yrs later, although I moved on to a Vision crankset last year. So in saying that, I'd get the frame and get those nice bits (except the Mavics as a lot of people have issues with their rear wheel). Don't sweat the wheelset, because as soon as the bug bites and you buy some nice race wheels, they will just become a training set. Don't worry about sealed hubs either. They're not as fancy as DA ball bearings, but they can roll every bit as nicely and they are cheap to replace with a high quality set.

Once you get some funds together and time in racing, you will know what kind of fit you want for your next bike frame, and just keep the parts you want to carry over and get something that ticks hopefully all your upgrade boxes!
Old 06-05-19, 01:21 AM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I’d probably have a look at the Planet X Rio De Velo as well, I’ve seen a few people using them at comps. https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/...th-roi-de-velo
Old 06-05-19, 02:33 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Fancy a Planet X Koichi San II?
Old 06-10-19, 02:05 AM
Bluscuba

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a lot of racing at Herne Hill this coming weekend.

Also, nice got a Hoy fiorenzuola 001 size large if you are interested. Let me know. Maybe a touch small for you though. Guide size is up to 6ft 1”[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/c5dbb172-5c2f-4fee-9772-46c7dab6fc5e[/img]