Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What kind of flat is this?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-03-21, 09:05 PM
Broodax

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I am a very modest bike mechanic. I can change or patch a tube, set derailleur limiters, and I think I tried to true a wheel without ruining it once.

My wife's bike had a flat after a ride this week. The whole ride we didn't notice, but the next day it was entirely flat. I pumped it up and could hear and feel air escaping next to the valve stem (not out of the stem, it continued even when the stem was covered/plugged). I replaced the tube, no big deal. I assumed that the tube had been compromised around the valve stem hole in the rim or pinched, etc.

I inflated the tube after I had swapped it out, thinking I could patch it to be a spare again... and it just holds air now. It has no leaks. What the...
Likes For Broodax:
Old 07-03-21, 09:27 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Don't trust it... Its a fairy tube just waiting for you to mount it and then fail...
Old 07-03-21, 09:43 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Maybe there was some debris in the valve. I'd inflate it, and hold it under water, looking for bubbles. No sense in throwing away a good tube.
Old 07-03-21, 10:38 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
I'd suspect the tube leaks around the stem under pressure. I ran through a batch of Sunlite tubes that were hit or miss. the failure was at the stem juncture with the tube at about 100psi. Installed them and then waited for five minutes and the leaks appeared. Without the higher pressure they seemed fine. I agree with the first opinion, don't trust it. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-03-21, 10:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
When you pump it up to 2x size, then put it under water, also wiggle the valve stem. Look for cuts/cracks around the rubber or valve joint.

It is also possible that the hole is "near" the valve, but not at the valve. So, the air escaping through the valve hole, but only because that is the easiest path out of the tire.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-03-21, 11:39 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Over many years I have had more flats from internal problems with the tubs than punctures from the outside.
Old 07-04-21, 05:11 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
Agree. The tube has failed where the stem attaches. Inflate the tube, wiggle the stem to verify. I've been fooled by this more than once.
Old 07-04-21, 06:50 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Getting a puncture from a spoke nipple/bad rim strip will cause that to happen. Air leaks into the tire cavity and the only place for it to go is out the stem hole.

When you change a tube pay attention to how the tube and tire come off the rim. when you find the hole in the tube, go back and check both the tire and rim for possible issues. A small piece of wire from a car tire could be stuck in the tire, which means it will puncture your new tube as well.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-04-21, 07:30 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Check the hole in the rim for the valve -- there might be a burr that nicked the tube at the base of the valve. I've had to carefully file and burnish valve holes on a few rims.

Spoke holes are often burred too on lower priced rims, but good rim tape will cover that up. But some rim tape/strips don't adequately protect tubes around the valve base.
Old 07-04-21, 09:11 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Spoke holes are often burred too on lower priced rims, but good rim tape will cover that up.
This reminds me of the first new bike I bought for myself (in 1975). It was a Motobecane Mirage, with steel rims. Inside of the first two weeks I had it, I had at least five flats... none of which was from a puncture. I tracked the flats to drain holes in the sides of the rims. I went back to the shop where I bought the bike and was told "Wheels aren't covered under the warranty"!
I had to chamfer the holes myself, and never went back to that shop. I still have the bike!

New front rim, handlebars, cables, brake levers, grips and all bearings serviced... otherwise pretty much original

Last edited by sweeks; 07-04-21 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 07-04-21, 09:22 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Originally Posted by Broodax
I am a very modest bike mechanic. I can change or patch a tube, set derailleur limiters, and I think I tried to true a wheel without ruining it once.

My wife's bike had a flat after a ride this week. The whole ride we didn't notice, but the next day it was entirely flat. I pumped it up and could hear and feel air escaping next to the valve stem (not out of the stem, it continued even when the stem was covered/plugged). I replaced the tube, no big deal. I assumed that the tube had been compromised around the valve stem hole in the rim or pinched, etc.

I inflated the tube after I had swapped it out, thinking I could patch it to be a spare again... and it just holds air now. It has no leaks. What the...
What kind of valve are you using? If you don't screw the presta down all the way it can seep air. I had a friend give me some tubes he thought failed and they were presta with replaceable valves that had come loose when he was taking the caps off.
Old 07-04-21, 12:42 PM
Broodax

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
What kind of valve are you using? If you don't screw the presta down all the way it can seep air. I had a friend give me some tubes he thought failed and they were presta with replaceable valves that had come loose when he was taking the caps off.
It's just a shrader valve. The others are likely right, I'll have to get it under more pressure and wiggle it more forcefully. I'm certainly not going to trust it without finding the leak and patching it first.
Old 07-04-21, 08:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by sweeks
This reminds me of the first new bike I bought for myself (in 1975). It was a Motobecane Mirage, with steel rims. Inside of the first two weeks I had it, I had at least five flats... none of which was from a puncture. I tracked the flats to drain holes in the sides of the rims. I went back to the shop where I bought the bike and was told "Wheels aren't covered under the warranty"!
I had to chamfer the holes myself, and never went back to that shop. I still have the bike!

New front rim, handlebars, cables, brake levers, grips and all bearings serviced... otherwise pretty much original
Hey, that was my first serious bike too, a 1976 Motobecane Mirage in that nifty silver-blue paint. Steel rims too, which made braking fun in rain. I don't recall any problems with burrs but that may have been luck. Wish I'd kept that bike. I sold all my bike stuff about 20 years ago after a car wreck busted up my back and neck. Figured I'd never ride again. Took awhile but I recovered enough by 2015 to try again.
Old 07-04-21, 09:08 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
It's just a shrader valve. The others are likely right, I'll have to get it under more pressure and wiggle it more forcefully. I'm certainly not going to trust it without finding the leak and patching it first.
Put some water right into the valve and see if the air bubbles out there. I've had Schrader valves leak, and then be fine after re-inflating. Also, the valve core is threaded in, and could be loose.
Old 07-04-21, 09:59 PM
kctrading

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I always use a spray bottle and some dish soap to find my leaks
Likes For kctrading:
Old 07-05-21, 07:42 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Hey, that was my first serious bike too, a 1976 Motobecane Mirage in that nifty silver-blue paint. Steel rims too, which made braking fun in rain. I don't recall any problems with burrs but that may have been luck. Wish I'd kept that bike. I sold all my bike stuff about 20 years ago after a car wreck busted up my back and neck. Figured I'd never ride again. Took awhile but I recovered enough by 2015 to try again.
Congrats on overcoming your injuries! 20 years ago is about when I had some bad news from my annual physical and decided to take action. I used the Motobecane, which had sat mostly unused for years, to get back in shape. I lost about 30 pounds, then bought a mountain bike, then got into bike commuting... the rest is history! I just passed the 19-year mark commuting year-'round by folding bike combined with heavy rail.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 07-05-21, 07:49 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Sounds like a faulty valve stem. I wouldn't use the tube unless it's a Schraeder valve, in which case, switch our the valve core and see if that makes a difference under pressure.
Old 07-05-21, 08:19 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Stem leaks are not uncommon and may only be conspicuous under pressure.
I see them more on older tubes, but certainly anything can fail anytime.
cracks in Schraeders, cuts, and seals to metal in both Schraeders and Prestas.
Can be spontaneous.
My last one was while I was sitting drinking coffee next to the bike.
Makes riding with a spare tube or phone more reasonable, usually only happens when I left them behind.
Old 07-05-21, 11:55 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I'll have to get it under more pressure and wiggle it more forcefully.
Besides wiggling the valve, also kneed the rubber around the valve with your fingers, squeeze it to bend the rubber around valve into fold or stretch it a bit. You can also try pulling on the tube with hands gripping the tube to the left and right of the valve.
But wiggling the valve should normally do it.

Sometimes it might be better, like in this case when you can't inflate to high pressure is instead of dipping the tube under water, make a soapy solution with a dish soap in a bit of water and brush it on the inflated tube and wait. Or wait a bit if testing underwater since in slow leak, it can take a bit before a bubble starts to blow up.

Don't expect to see a steady stream of bubbles in a second or two pause before going to the next tube section. I was surprised at times how devious underwater tube testing can be. If the bubble starts to develop underneath the tube where you don't see it, it might be inflating the bubble too slow for it to detach and float up, when you would see it. But usually you pass onto the next tube section and miss that bubble.
Old 07-05-21, 08:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Ditto, loose threaded valve cores. I never experienced that until around 2018, then it happened twice in the same year, once with a Schrader tube, once with Presta. My mini-pumps have valve core wrenches built into the end caps so I can snug 'em up as needed.
Old 07-05-21, 09:21 PM
Cooperator
occasional marmot

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My suspicion is always a minor cut or tear at the base of the valve stem resulting from tire rotation on the rim. Especially common with older tires/rims. Leak not noticeable until high pressure or valve twisted to one side.